Steve Vai

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by alpha1, Feb 2, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Who says he has a bad tone???

Tell you what, any tone which not acoustic or clean electric sux balls.
    Sounds ugly.

:p

Seems no one here has heard his Hand on heart? (Ronnie has though)

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ohh haan...Hand on Heart is also amazing.

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

tht must be Punjab Kesari....not Mid-Day

@ronnie...man ur on a sarcasm spree...:nw:

hats off

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

For some reason i like it when he sings rather than play a million notes in most solos and i like it when there's a central melody or rhythm that takes the key role rather than the solos (songs like Natural born Boy, Massacre)

5. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Incidentally his clean electric tone is also crappy. Sounds horribly jangly..listen to Juice..its so harsh and trebly.
    And I've heard Hand on Heart as well. He just doesn't move me or even intellectually stimulate me the way say Zappa does, but thats just personal opinion.
    EDIT: Sorry not Juice. Tender Surrender.
    Also Sisters.
    Even when he's trying toplay lovely ballads he lacks feelng..except in his expressions of course.

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

oye abhijit ...u heard the song Firth of a Fifth...baap re, whatta solo!!

7. sridhar11_2

For Tone none can match Eric Johnson. anything he plays is gold on tone. He is really THE TONE KING. Even i find Vai's tone a little to processed, think its because he uses too many synth effects (Roland guitar synthesiser pedal)and it seems as if he keeps the wah pedal always on .

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

finally someone else who deosnt like the vai tone....cant stand the tone on for the love of god....most of his numbers are too spacey for me......and mebbe the tone makes it even more "spacier"...i ve always liked satch better....he can play with feeling....always with me, love thing, starry night, tears in the rain...are songs which never fail to move me...among his spacey numbers..flying in a blue dream is killer.......and as bad satch's tone gets........its still better than vai's...some how most indians prefer vai over satch....is it like a cool thing, to appreciate the disciple more:p:
    Amen to eric johnson's tone.....LOVE it....now that guy plays with feeling man...

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

:RollLol: :RollLol:

Ronnie at his best:grin:

10. abhijitnath

Take Eric Johnson's tone, take the pentatonic scale, take inhuman feel, take McLaughlin+Paul Gilbert +Yngwie Malmsteen + Michael Angelo's technique and multiply it by 100.
    You get Shawn Lane.
    Watch this
    https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8819871498524674568&q=shawn+lane

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

What if someone stole the whammy bar on Vai's guitar..:think:..would be interesting..

12. sridhar11_2

How could you say such an evil thing???? :shock:

13. knight_guitar

knight_guitar Lead Guitarist

the thread is now loosing it's plot.. !!

14. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Michael Lee Firkins ??..
    didnt this guy play GOSPEL ROCK ???...but gotta admit his solo's are pleasent

15. abhijitnath

Its not gospel..its folk & country influenced certainly but his solos have their fair share of shred. Listen to Jason Becker's End of the Beginning where he's sweep picking and playing scale patterns like theres no tomorrow.

16. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

17. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Refer to my avatar;)

18. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

crap...
    i thought it was some other guy called Micheal W Smith !!! :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: yeah..now i remeber Micheal Firkins...i have a instructional by him. ;)

19. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

thats ok he has a digitech whammy peda ;)

20. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

But then how will he satisfy the craving of his picking hand to reach down after every 3 notes;)