Source for Guitar Parts in INDIA.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Luthier, Nov 29, 2005.

1. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Info From Planet Waves Executive :

These precision-designed tuning machine with built-in hardened steel string cutters and individual string clamps are real time-savers. The patent-pending design cuts excess string while you tune, eliminating the need for extra tools. Individual string clamp securely holds string in tuner, so there is no need to for multiple wraps around the tuning post. Rugged die-cast outer casing houses precision-machined 18:1 bevel and worm gears, providing smooth, exact tuning, while virtually eliminating backlash and slippage. The string clamp and cutting mechanism makes the chore of restringing a snap.

Planet Waves Auto Trim Tuning Machines 6 In-Line Features:

* Precision-designed tuning machine
    * Built-in hardened steel string cutters
    * Cuts excess string while you tune
    * Eliminates the need for extra tools
    * Individual string clamp securely holds string in tuner
    * Rugged die-cast outer casing houses precision machined 18:1 bevel and worm gears for smooth, exact tuning
    * Eliminates backlash and slippage

2. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Quote:
    so there is no need to for multiple wraps around the tuning post.

On the same page where you linked, go and watch the demo:
    https://www.planet-waves.com/ptoolsdetails.aspx?ID=5
    Note where the string is cut off...after one turn
    And you can unlock locking tuners by turning the clamp on the backside of the neck..retune and tighten back
    Dude have you ever used locking tuners before?
    Or done elementary mechanics?
    And please dont tell me the Planet Waves are not locking..they are...do a google search for it....any site that sells them advertises them as Auto-trim Locking tuners. Other companies that do this auto-trim like Sperzel also do it only for locking tuners..becuase noone would pay a premium for a tuner that very expensively has a substitute for a set of pliers built in.
    There is no way for excess string to be cut automatically after 6-7 turns..at what point does the trimmer decide where to cut off the string? All trimmers cut it at the first turn..go look at the flash demo at the site.

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Dude go get your basics right first.. I think i have much much more experiences with Guitars than you.. Cause you just arguing for the sake of it. I have a good line of guitars here with me i have used and tested a lot of equipment and SEEN AUTO TRIMMERS.. I only asked cause i wanted to know whether the fit the guitar i'm using.. I dont want to know what it does from you(Especially you) In any case now i confidently know how much knowledge you have..

Just go thru you my posts once again..

Here is a little summary about the Auto Trimmer :-

* It trims after one wind(Meaning one TURN).. I can push more string into it turn it once and cut excess.. Then i can have multiple wraps around the post..

* The product link i gave you is a AUTO TRIM and NOT A LOCKING TUNER..

* No, i have not used LOCKING TUNERS - I HAVE SEEN AUTO TRIM TUNERS.

* I'm graduating as an Engineer and done quite a bit of Mechanics. Seems evident that you havent even done that..

* PLANET WAVES ARE NOT LOCKING - THEY JUST TRIM THE EXCESS..

* NO website advertises them as locking tuners.. You are contradicting yoruself..
    "And please dont tell me the Planet Waves are not locking..they are...do a google search for it....any site that sells them advertises them as Auto-trim Locking tuners."

* Any good musician will look at quality and not money.. By good musicians i mean people with good amount of knowledge.

* Yet again you are contradicting yourself..
    "There is no way for excess string to be cut automatically after 6-7 turns..at what point does the trimmer decide where to cut off the string? All trimmers cut it at the first turn.."

It does cut out at the first turn..

So here are my notes for you :

1. Firstly, You want them to be called locking tuners.. Then you dont.. So you are mentally unstable about that fact.. Make up your mind..

2. They are Auto Trimmers..
    Check this page out and read the product title..
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/361450/

Find any point that calls these as LOCKING TUNERS..

3. Dude, next time you try arguing, try to do so not for fun.. At no point your posts were helpful, the point of this being a forum is gone.. Gear Talk.. Supposed to help people with gear.. And here you are just misleading people.. God! I pity your bandmates(if any)..

4. Lastly... Some MECHANICS for you : Any part of the string can be locked.. As in your post before the previous one, The Locking mechanish need not work ehn the string is cut off.. You can lock the string at any point, Not cut it and still leave it locked.. I'm not talking about planet waves here.. Its just elementery mechanics.. The trimmer is just "TO TRIM THE STRING".. The" TRIMMING" has "NOTHING" to do with "LOCKING" or "TUNING a GUITAR"..

So here we go.. I have highlighted some point for you.. And Dude one more thing.. Dont try to edit your posts.. The just tell how lame you are.. I have quoted the points i require.. Just edit whatever you want now.. Wont matter to me..

5. abhijitnath

Official press release from Planet Waves:
    Planet Waves introduces new Auto-Trim Tuning Machines, a Ned Steinberger design. The Auto-Trim Tuning Machines' patent-pending design automatically cuts off excess string while the guitarist tunes up, so extra cutting tools are no longer required! An individual string clamp holds the string tightly in the tuner, so there's no need for multiple wraps around the tuning post, and a precision 18:1 gear ratio provides smooth, exact tuning, while virtually eliminating backlash and slippage.
    From NAMM-
    https://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/Planet_Waves/PR/Auto-Trim.html
    Q.E.D..they are locking
    Further links where they are advertised as locking:
    Planet Waves Auto-Trim Locking Guitar Machines
    These machines do it all; tuning, locking and string cutting. 18:1 gear ratio. Set of 6.
    https://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners..._Waves_Auto-Trim_Locking_Guitar_Machines.html
    PLANET WAVES AUTO-TRIM TUNING MACHINES
    3 on-a-side guitar tuning machines, tuning machine cuts excess string while tuning guitar. These are also locking machines to help prevent slippage. 18:1 gear ratio, chrome finish. ..
    https://www.elderly.com/brand/GAPT_planet waves.html
    Planet Waves AutoTrim chrome, Steinberger-designed, locking mechanism with integrated wire cutter
    https://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_opfaen/guitar/index.php?guitar=tausch2

I edited it solely becuase I had written the word washer instead of clamp.
    And as for your posts being useful, lines like "Dude, are you dreaming?", "You big noob" (note lack of grammar) are hardly useful to anyone.
    And since you now claim that the string only winds once (which is true and what I've been saying throughout), one of your old messages: "Dude.. Its the same that you showed me.. But you can make it wind moer than once.. ".
    Another thread on the net where someone shares my opinion:
    "yeah. I think those planet waves are also auto trim ( it will cut the wire for you). Kinda pontless on a double locking FR equipped guitar. But for non locking trems and people who abuse hardtails it works good.."
    https://sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131

6. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Your Own Links :

https://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/Planet_Waves/PR/Auto-Trim.html

It doesnt say its a Locking Tuner.. It doesnt say it locks so that the tuning is maintained..

https://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners..._Waves_Auto-Trim_Locking_Guitar_Machines.html

Where have they mentioned that the tuners will hold the TUNING?

https://www.elderly.com/brand/GAPT_planet waves.html

I dont see where they tell its a LOCKING TUNER?

https://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_opfaen/guitar/index.php?guitar=tausch2

It doesnt mention the purpose.. By the way thats a custom guitar.. Not a product descriptiong of PLANET WAVES.. Has no weightage in your arguement..

I see that you have confused STRING SLIPPAGE to TUNING SLIPPAGE.. LOL..

7. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

"I edited it solely becuase I had written the word washer instead of clamp.
    And as for your posts being useful, lines like "Dude, are you dreaming?", "You big noob" (note lack of grammar) are hardly useful to anyone.
    And since you now claim that the string only winds once (which is true and what I've been saying throughout), one of your old messages: "Dude.. Its the same that you showed me.. But you can make it wind moer than once.. ".
    Another thread on the net where someone shares my opinion:
    "yeah. I think those planet waves are also auto trim ( it will cut the wire for you). Kinda pontless on a double locking FR equipped guitar. But for non locking trems and people who abuse hardtails it works good.."
    https://sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131"

I said you can have multiple winds(MEaning STring turns around the post).. It does cut off the string after one WInd(TURNING OF THE TUNER)..

And that thread on sevenstring, its even more pointless.. HE contradicts himself in the end.. LOL..

8. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

And about my grammar, in a forum you dont use spoken english.. You just type what you can fast..

Talking About Grammar "Err..not really
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree:)" Wow.. Thats some seriously saad English..

Just think misleading just doesnt help you.. It projects how sad a person you.. Your only motive here is to

1. try and act as if you know it,
    2. try to force your opinion on someone
    3. try to act smart
    4. mislead someone.

9. abhijitnath

Its pointless arguing with you.
    So I'll stop.
    You asked me where the word locking was mentioned..I did.
    But since you will not believe that auto-trimmers can be locking as well no matter what the evidence, its completely pointless.

10. Luthier

Luthier New Member

NOOOoooo......please continue........ :)

It's my turn now.
    The planet waves tuners DO CLAMP THE STRINGS and TRIM It during the winding. The clamping or the "locking" is solely for locking the string at the post for the purpose of not allowing the string to slip away while tightening since there are only a couple of turns and also since there isn't much frictional area present as a result of trimming the extra length.
    Now this "locking" cannot be useful in keeping the strings in tune because of the obvious existing windings.
    But however there is a set of keys too (made by jinho) that "locks" the strings after the tuning is done and that would help in keeping it in tune when using with a tremolo or flloyd.
    I hope that solved all ur troubles and let's get back to the title of this hread and keep posting sources.
    Ciao
    Luthier.

11. abhijitnath

OK:)
    Although it would be nice if other knowledgable people gave their opinions one way or the other.

OK-Fundas about locking tuners:
    Basically all of them, whether made by Planet Waves, Sperzel or Schaller, have a clamping system on the underside. What you are supposed to do is pull the string through it and turn one wind (around the post, not of the tuner), turn the clamp until its tight and then snip off the rest of the string. After this you can tune your guitar normally. It functions the same way as a Floyd Rose locking nut where you clamp the strings in place.
    Therefore any argument on the lines of "Where does it say that locking tuners hold tune properly?" is inaccurate to my mind (I could be wrong, though, since I work for Planet Waves competition company and my sole purpose in life is to mislead people). The actual degree of locking and ability to stay in tune can vary of course, but people like John Petrucci and all PRS users use locking tuners on their guitars equipped with tremolo systems.
    Next step: Sperzel and Planet Waves realise that finding pliers while changing strings on stage can be painful, so they build in a auto-trimming mechansim into the tuner, so that the string is snipped away as you tune.
    Since the next question will be "Where does it say that all Auto-trim tuners are locking?", look closely at all pics available of the Planet Waves tuner (as well as the Flash demo on the Planet Waves site)...notice those clamps on the under side? I can see no purpose for them except to clamp the strings and lock them in place. Please come up with a non-locking reason to incorporate them into the design. I can' t think of any.
    Disclaimer: All these opinions are designed to push my personal agenda of devaluing the market cap of Planet Waves and to discredit them in the eyes of all consumers..I have no other work you see.

12. abhijitnath

I actually didnt read the whole of your post, Luthier..just saw the Please Continue.
    None of the sarcasm is directed towards you.
    There is considerable evidence though that the locking tuners are used for tuning stability...John Petrucci's Music Man and PRSes as I mentioned.

13. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Hey abhijitnath. I do not mind ur opinions.
    The fact is that all of us are perceiving the tuners mentioned in the way that we would use it. But none of us have actually used it so why do we even bother.
    All of us are beating around the same bush and sailing in the same boat but seeing different clouds. So let go and be happy. :)
    Regards
    Luthier

14. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

LOL.. Luthier said what i was trying to say for the last three days....

@ abhi : Firstly you told me the locking mechanism is used to keep the tuning in place and the same is done by the locking nut of Floyd rose.. So dont call that inaccurate in your mind..

Now if i have a floyd rose locking system on the guitar.. I use these Tuning machines..

Here is a step by step procedure...

1. I put the string. It winds once, it cuts the excess.. THE STRING IS LOCKED RIGHT? Agreed..

2. NOW I TUNE THE GUITAR..

3. I Lock the Floyd Rose Locking Nut..

At what point is the tuning key holding the tuning in place(Meaning : LOCKED).. And in what place is it serving the purpose of the floyd rose locking nut..

15. abhijitnath

OK...the locking tuner when locked (is clamps tightened) does hold it in place..thats the whole rationale of the tuner..otherwise people would buy standard tuners. Why would you otherwise want to reduce the number of turns around the post( traditionally, the more the number of turns around the post, the more stable the tuning).
    When you use your whammy it does hold tune...I've genuinely done it with a set of Schaller locking tuners (not Planet Waves ones, but from the demo, the mechanism is exactly the same as the PRS ones except for the trimming bit which has to be done manually).
    A number of Floyd Rose users have shifted to a non-locking tremolo unit like Wilkinson along with locking tuners due to the ease of use and no hassles in changing strings etc..eg Petrucci as I said.
    Thats why I had said that you're doubling the locking system by installing the Floyd Rose and locking tuners and I guess we went overboard from there.

16. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Wrong Again.. The only thing that gets locked here is the STRING.. So the tuning key is free to move..

Dude this means even when i lock the Strings in to the post, i can turn the tuning key.. When i can turn the tuning key how can the tuning be in place.. It will change obviously..

We reduce the no of turns to make it easier for changing strings..

So the purpose of the Tuners and FLOYD Rose are completely different..

Luthier explain again please..

17. abhijitnath

Yes, the tuning key is free to move.
    That does not mean, however, that when you use your tremolo, the string will go out of tune.
    I honestly don't see the connection.
    Really, the reason locking tuners are built is to keep in tune with whammy abuse, not restringing hassles. This is true of all locking tuners, made by any company.
    "With the growing number of manufacturers selling replacement parts, many players are taking interest in upgrading and customizing their instruments with more functional and better-sounding hardware. In the early 80s the Floyd Rose locking tremolo system became the world's most popular replacement bridge and nut. Then in the late '80s, Sperzel locking tuning keys entered the market and helped to improve the tuning on guitars with or without tremolos. Additionally, Sperzels eliminated the need for a locking nut, and trends moved back in favor of more traditional bridges. "
    https://www.pointtremolo.com/review.htm

18. abhijitnath

Actually I see the basis of the confusion.
    They don't lock the string in the same way as a locking nut, in that when your turn the tuner, the tuning will change with the locking tuners. However, the locking element comes from not going out of tune while just sitting around or while using the Whammy. This is the same purpose that the locking nuts of Floyd Rose serve.

19. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Wrong again.. How can the tuning key move and still keep the tuning in place?

20. abhijitnath

Arre yaar..please at least read what I wrote.
    It keeps whatever tuning youve kept stable, you can still use the tuners!
    A/B test:
    Use whammy on standard guitar with normal tuning keys very violently or bend your strings a perfect fifth or so. Your strings will probably go out of tune.
    Now do the same with locking tuners..they won't .
    Its quite simple.