some guitar exercise to help to play swiftly and make my own tune or song

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Iffily, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Iffily

Iffily New Member

hey guyz......
    i m new here hope some one good enuf with guitar will help me...... well i m pretty new at guitar...... but i love to play...... and my problem is..... that..... my fingers and r not fast enuf..... tell me some exercise that i can..... play swiftly .... and second is when i can genrate..... my tunes... i mean...... ..... listen to song and play it..... all i m doing is..... ask for tabs on........ this site...... well i know i m pretty new and still i havent develop the ear for generating the tunes by myself... is it takes time to develop that thing or that thing will never happens...... or there are some exercises for that also........ hopefully..... someone will help me..... well..... u can also mail me the answer on [SNIP]
    i'll be more then glad..... and beside that this site amazing...... i just simply loved it...... IGT rules

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Goto the thutorials section and learn.. Also browse thru the Q&A forum for more help.. Use the advanced search feature..

3. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

about the speed thing that you asked... try reading articles on guitarprinciples.com and see if it helps.
    and regarding ear training, try musictheory.net... they have got some ear training exercises out there.

4. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

abt the speed thing.......

rather than just reading articles i think that it can only improve with practice practice and practice..........

and i think the same is true for ear training

but no doubt the 2 sites mentioned above will give an insight into ur problems, but the real answer is PRACTICE and thats all.

just keep on practicing iffily and u will get it

5. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

You are right pacific... but the site guitarprinciples.com tells you how to practice correctly rather than just practice... that is why i have given them as reference.

6. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

7. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

spiders help finger strength, finger speed, finger stamina and finger accuracy.

chords help finger/hand strength, finger flexibility, hand speed and hand stamina

scales help ear training, finger speed, finger accuracy

8. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Very good post Rabi. Spider is an excellent left hand exercise. Along with speed you also require accuracy and stamina. Left-hand right-hand coordination too is fundamental to progress.

Aside all the practice, you need perseverance. Everyone's in a tearing hurry to learn the guitar, for reasons that completely elude me. Be patient and give yourself a years time, it’ll pay off big time.

Raj

9. Iffily

Iffily New Member

hey guyz,
    i m surprized that i got this much response from u...... thanx for help..... i realy appreciate it..... hope fully u guyz keep helping me untill i'll become good guitarist....

10. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Hey rabi, what's a spider ? Haven't seen anything mentioned about it in tutorials section.

11. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

yeah, rajscorps u r right..........

a year time is needed till one knows something abt a guitar, rather any instrument. well it might be less if u have natural talent.

well some people come to the class where i go and ask the sir, can my child play any song in 15 days.??????

come on .......learning any instrument is not a joke!!!!!!!!

it definitely needs patience.... rather the correct word is perseverance as rajscorps said.

so practice with perseverance.....

@maverick...... i didnt mean to say that there was nothing at guitarprinciples.com. what i wanted to say was that rather than just reading u also need to practice, coz practice makes a guitarist and not just reading. i hope u got what i wanted to say

12. rabi_sultan

one form of a spider

Code:
    E|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
    B|---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
    G|-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
    D|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------|
    A|---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
    E|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

or a travelling spider
    Code:
    E|-----------------------------------------6-7-8-9-|
    B|---------------------------------5-6-7-8---------|
    G|-------------------------4-5-6-7-----------------|
    D|-----------------3-4-5-6-------------------------|
    A|---------2-3-4-5---------------------------------|
    E|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

your basically playing the chromatic scale (every note) but you play it with variations, such as the above two. You can then try other variations such as playing the above in reverse, or to invert each sequence in notes but go forwards like:

Code:
    E|-----------------------------------------4-3-2-1-|
    B|---------------------------------4-3-2-1---------|
    G|-------------------------4-3-2-1-----------------|
    D|-----------------4-3-2-1-------------------------|
    A|---------4-3-2-1---------------------------------|
    E|-4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------|

It differs to scales since in scales you are playing along certain notes and so better for accuracy, the spiders are more for finger movement so they are better to get your fingers prepared to play faster which in turn helps stamina since you don't have to worry about hitting any 'wrong' notes since they are all correct :)

13. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

rabi, thanx buddy.

14. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

But all Spiders are to be played with Alternate Picking..

15. rabi_sultan

no thats not true, you can play spiders in any picking style you want there is nothing that says that spiders are only for alternate picking.

For instance by downward picking the spider it will help you build up your attack and speed at which you pick downwards. Especially helpful when your playing a song like Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.

16. i would reccomend alt picking ....down up down up .....and then start with an up down up down stroke......
    that way ur comfortable with both...

17. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

THe attack can be achieved better with Alt Picking..