Smoking

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rjain172, Mar 2, 2006.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

And I suppose you aren't damaging people physically by using cars, refridgerators, Air Conditioners, plastic etc.? It's a choice people make....you're talking like the minister in Demolition Man who banned Red meat, ****, swearing, s.ex and coffee.

While I do not smoke, I also cannot fathom the holier-than-thou attitude some people adopt when they speak against it. Sure, don't ****ing puff into my face but that's it...live with it. With you I suppose it's a slightly different scenario considering where you're living but the exhaust fumes I inhale in 15 minutes outside my house is probably worse than the 5 ciggarettes someone claimed to be smoking.

2. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Oh messiah !!!! Where were Thou ?? :p:

Chillax man .. I've observed this time n again..

Those who dance to music are considered Insane by those who cannot hear ;)

3. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Sure, bud...
    But never with one freaking cig. Trst me.

Hell they have more than one...just to keep the trend going..and another one and another one..and thats when you're addicted.

But never with the first one, gee.....:insane:

@ankur...thats a whole lotta gas you got in you..wht about all the other shit thats going on around you. Go pounce on something ur own size.

4. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

@ notty lad, Petunia, Bjr.....

thanks guys for supporting my side of the argument.....now aint i right when i say..only defence given to me...is always...."there r other bad things happening...y not smoking!!" .....Well for one, all ur refrigirators...air conditioner...cars and plastics...serve a purpose...dont really see wht tangible thing human society gains from smoking......
    @ bjr
    "you're talking like the minister in Demolition Man who banned Red meat, ****, swearing, s.ex and coffee"

buddy....none of those even come close to smoking....and y i care..

try this man....after a whole day of university...stand in a bus line
    ... have 2 guys smoking...destroying your lungs...for the sake of their habit !!
    sometimes..punching is the only option left....which unfortunately...country i am living in does not allow...but tht would be in true terms TIT for TAT..

there is something called accountability....and accpting ur mistakes...which duly lacks..among smokers!! cos they will give a shit load of reason...for smoking...but wont stop spend half that enegry or brains..to think...abt others....

@ notty....

not being messiah yaar....just expressing how useless smoking is....

i am not preaching not to smoke..my message for smokers is.....smoke all u can ....and kill urself....i cant care less!! but at least dont mess up others....and if u continue to...be ready to hear all this crap...rest of ur life.... cant get simpler than tht...

@ petunia - i am sure..u can take me on!!

and guys its a debate!! nothing personal......hope u guys have been part of debates before....

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No no no no no. We did not prove your point. We merely asked you the same pointed question that a lot of people, apparently, have asked you before. You conveniently take the moral highground talking about the physical damage caused by smoking while glossing over the fact that you are, in fact, doing your bit to contribute to the demise of society as well. It's like a PETA activist showing up for work in a fur coat and a leather purse or leather jacket. Think about it. The purpose served by each of the pollutants I mentioned was as essential as the coat and purse.

None of these even come close....IN YOUR OPINION. You see that's where the beauty of CHOICE comes in. I have to live with your opinion and you have to live with mine.

While there is no doubt that stringent laws should be in place banning smoking in public as there are in a lot of countries, to put down smokers for the reasons you do is just lame.

6. coolgirl_babe

coolgirl_babe ~STOP TRYING TO BE ME~

7. yaninthepan

yaninthepan New Member

Umm... well... Smoking is bad for health [ duh uh ] but it entirely depends upon the person who choose it, as discussed there are other things which can harm u....
    I really dont think this discussion was necessary 'coz being a free world everyone can do watever he wanna do...[of course not doing it intentionally to harm others -Like smoking at public places(bus stands, etc.) ]
    As for me i smoke very very occassionally [ basically when i'm Drunk (or in a club or sumthing) ] so its like very very occassionally , i did like it but the point is i love myself more than the kick provided by a cig, so im off that now!
    cheers people and keep rockin [please end this topic - its been repeated in every forum , so do wat u have to do and let the others do wat they want ]

8. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Not ONCE, in my whole argument so far, have i claimed that other pollutants are healthy or that i am not a contributor. I am probably polluting the environment just as much as anyone else. You are missing the whole point here. The idea was other pollutants and smoking are different in the sense that human society does not gain one bit from smokers!! However, rest of the pollutants including ur purse and coat...r used somewhere or the other. Lets stick to smoking since the topic of this thread demands so. Degressing from the topic...wont take the talk off smokers and smoke. And if u really feel necessary discussing other forms of pollutions we can do that in some other thread.

My friend when i take my side of the argument i am not taking the moral highground and believe me its definitely not convinient path either...looking at how people...try to run away from the main point and blame everything else except talk about smoking!!

:beer:

9. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

I would love to see...how these things do resemble smoking in the context of this forum's discussion!!! give me some points here man...!! ;)

wanna use this as an opportunity to learn!!! Believe me...i am open to changing..my opinion....u wont have to live with it!! Change is always better, u just need to tell me y? :p:

10. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Dude..i thnk u missed the point...we dnt really support you :confused:
    And ofcourse, its a debate...we're cool with it...never had a prblem...however u seemed quite riled up here..ARE YOU sure you're takn this lightly??

Btw..
    I thnk the real question here is, can YOU take me on?? :Think:

11. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Well for one, youve stated that smokng harms not only the smoker but those around them. As true as it may be, there are also other fctors that as bad if not worse. Pollutants was brought up-whch is as bad...and theres definitely more of it. Its incredible the amount of pollution that exists in India..(to pick a place) atleast with smoking-you;re not exposed to it 24/7.

Food...do you know how many pesticides you eat daily? Everything is infested with chemicals...whatcha gnna do bout that???

Theres no end to it. Just because smoking is a personal choice -and not to mention the easiest to point and blame, people get all screwy and demand to put a stop to it.

I say live with it and live your life...considering all the other problems that are going on in the world today, we dont have much time left.

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

If you had been open to the opportunity to learn, you would have at least acknowledged that 328,482 people that have spoken against you had an iota of a case. Don't kid yourself.

If you want a why....simple! Because not changing your opinion and bitching about it on an internet forum is not going to help you deal with your rage at smokers....changing your opinion will.

Also...using winky smileys and tongue faces do not help your cause.

Since you have acknowledged that you are a pollutor, you should then realize that it is you who are missing the point. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. The pollutants that I had named are all coming from commodities we can do without.

Leather Purses- Ha! Are you actually trying to justify using the skin of animals to clothe yourself or put your money in after that big lecture about society not gaining from certain habits? How exactly is society gaining from your wearing a fox around your snobbish neck?

Air Conditioners- Of course! So the cancer sticks must go but we must have our spray-on deoderant when we could make do with roll on. Wait...CFC harms the Ozone layer? Pfft, I must have my AC.

Plastic- Hey Ma! Penelope choked on the polythene bag while chewing the cud! Oh Goodie! I've been wanting a leather belt for a while now. I'll probably be getting the Nobel prize for progress of human society.

Wow! You should be proud having contributed so much to the progress of human society.

I don't think anyone has once defended smoking. What they have been attacking is your line of thought.

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Girl, it was his atrocious attempt at trying to "pwn" the internet people.

14. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Yeah, i didnt like the super judgemental train of thought aswell, but was too lazy to write anything against it. Now let me say: I DONT like it.

15. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

I swear...
    :insane:
    What did he think he'd accomplish????

@Ankur...mebbe u shud start blgging in at espace!!
    *get hinters from bj ;)*

16. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

WHOA!! First i hardly have gotten into arguments...in IGT...!!
    but now kinda feel good that i didnt...cos..last 5 posts have been Ankur Bashing and use of superfluous langugage. Seriously i dont understand y u guys would be rediculing me so much!! wht u guys r trying to prove?? My intension was only to express my views on smoking and hope to get some views from u guys! didnt know none of u had the courage to defend but instead get down to the dirtiest part of a debate that is simply putting the topic off and taking the debater at hand!!!

Already mentioned wht i would accomplish....and dont blame me..to be on an internet forum...cos u r doing just the same! only diff i was using it in rite sense...If u still havet understood the importance of mass communication...then i guess there is no point of arguing with u!!

@bjr ---- Atrocious??? how was the attempt atrocious!! wow....wht abuse of internet space...man!! say wht u like...without having the slightest idea of wht u r saying!! i like tht...

I guess u r a chain smoker...who cant get rid of the habit...well in tht case i sympathise with u...cos otherwise..u wont find my argument "ATROCIOUS" .....

I love when people use pretentious language..to prove themselves rite!! its being done all over...it gives an excellent chance to use some extraterestial words and lose the meaning in between! well tht's a topic in itself all together...needing another thread...

well i think its best we guys stop here....cos when i joined this forum it was for a good purpose and in past one year i have had some really good times here...dont want to take any bad memories from this place!!

but always remember arguments should always be with a sense of neutrality..towards the debater....

now i know this will follow with another round of Ankur bashing...but whtever this is as much as i can do....looks like all the non-smokers r turning a blind eye! to this thread....

and i cant even use...smilies now..cos..bjr doesnt like it!!
    and Petunia...knows i cant take her on...so i guess accepting defeat is the only option left....

17. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

First of all buddy,
    You shud knw enuf that when you enter a debate..you have to be absolutely ready and comfortable with being bashed-because there are views out there that are sure as hell different from yours.

Second, in regards to us being on internet forums..that is a very lousy attempy at backlashing. You are the one bringing in the strong views-and lashing out at those whove chosen smoking. Thats their choice/prblem. If you really do hold such strong oppositions then here wasnt really the brightest place. A better option wud be to stand outside your door and shout it out.

Third..if you read through some of the previous posts youd knw that bjr isnt i repeat ISNT a smoker.

As for the pretentious language...i thnk he's a done a pretty goddamn job using it. "use extraterrestrial...lose the meaning??" As far as i could make out, he didnt lose anything. Infact he just made ur argument sound even crappier.

"but always remember arguments should always be with a sense of neutrality..towards the debater...." eerr....NOOO!!!??! Thats not the way its done. You support your argument, regardless of how harsh it is-you dont sit there sympathizing with your opponent. It makes me wonder how many debates you won with that kind of attitude.

But dont get us wrong, Ankur..although the bashing will never cease to exist as long as there are opposing views we arent here to eat you inside-out. We are merely trying to point other things out to you. As long as you get that.

Im gonna call a truce.
    Keep rocking.

shsnawada likes this.
  18. shsnawada

Why do i see a real trend in 23 year old NRI/NRPs ? :think:

19. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

whts that supposed to mean, aye???
    Nbdy here is Paki...
    or rather...theres no trend...

20. shsnawada

No, i meant the relationship between khuram82 and him. There is a clear trend between both of them. They have a lot of similarities.