Small hand hard to play guitar with!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nebuchadnezzar, Aug 25, 2004.

1. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

My hand is quite small and although i can span four frets easily, five is the maximum my fingers can go...i find it impossible to play pieces like ' every breath u take' or
    hotel california live outro..these require spanning five frets swiftly..HELP!!

2. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

well i dont think that small hand matters ... or it does??? well i dont know actually..
    just keep practising and u'll get what u want after some time.
    i have also a small hand. i've practiced hard and now its easy.

3. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

I have very small hands... and I also used to complain the same way you are now... believe me, it makes very little difference how big your hands are... you just need practice and flexibility. hotel california solo (intro and outro) are very easy... just keep on trying.

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Try playing the 1234 exercise By Essi..

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

thnx guys...but i still have my doubts...let me practise a bit more and see...
    1 more doubt though ..lets say i have to play the 2nd fret and play some string on the 6th fret...what is correct way of playing it???if i cant reach the 6th fret is it correct technique to just slide my hand down fast and and then back again or shud my index finger stay put on the 2nd fret?(for eg in 'every breath u take' )

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

so you mean you want to play something like this:

Code:
    [font=courier new]
    E|-------|
    B|-------|
    G|-------|
    D|-------|
    A|--2--6-|
    E|-------|

well you can play it like this instead
    Code:
    [font=courier new]
    E|-------|
    B|-------|
    G|-------|
    D|-----1-|
    A|--2----|
    E|-------|

7. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

What will you do when you are playing a super fast solo.. FInd alternate notes??

8. rabi_sultan

thats why you have to "learn the fretboard" ;)

9. jayanth

Yhea i know my fretboard.. But when you play something there is a certain teckhnique.. What will you do while sweep picking????????

10. rabi_sultan

use the 9 finger tap instead it looks cooler ;)

but to the point i was only telling nebuch that it mite be easier to find alternate notes some songs are easier to play with the alternative notes and sometimes it isn't its whatever you feel comfortable with.

besides the question wasn't about soloing it was about ways around playing the 6th fret from the 2nd fret.

11. jayanth

I'm trying to tell that its better to make a good habit of using it instead of finding an easier way and suffering later..

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

@rabi .....i know how to find alternate notes..simple guitar tuning principles!
    besides i was just giving the eg of 2nd fret to 6 th fret ..they need not be on the same string ie say i have to play this fast in a loop..wht is the correct technique?
    ---------6-------------------
    -----4-----------------------
    -2----------------------------
    u guys forgot abt my question in ur haste to argue!!

13. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

I've always been supporting the practice of laying stuff the way it is supposed to be played. Simplifying a song to suit your comfort beats the whole purpose of practising, because then you never learn to play things which are above your current standard. The net result is that you dont advance as a guitarist.

@nebu, you cannot get a better answer than what ijal, Jayanth and I have given you... practice.

14. jayanth

Dont take the shorter routes.. Yo ugot to stretch one day or the other so you start not..

@ Nebu the way you play that 2 4 6 is by Stretching.. ONLY..

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Well i am trying ...and u know what ???I think i will manage it in a few days!!
    I guess it was just a mental block....ne ways thnx for all the advice

16. jayanth

Slow and practice..

17. rabi_sultan

one good way to help the stretching is if you can't reach from 2 to 6 then try reaching from 10 to 14/15 then like jay said slowly keep practice and eventually you'll find that you can reach 2 to 6. your fingers will hurt from the strecthing but its the only way