Single coil & Humbucking PickUp HELP

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sDEVs, Jun 17, 2006.

1. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

I want a help on knowing whats a Humbucking pickup?

Whats a Single coil Pickup?

And whats the difference between these two.

jocelyn likes this.
  2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Single coils pickups GENERALLY have a BRIGHT-PUNCHY- CLEAR TONE
    HUMBUCKERS- have GENERALLY have a WARMER-SMOOTHER tone...

Single coils tend to give a annoying HUM sound..... Humbucker BUCK out that hum (cancell out that hum) hence called Humbucker.. A humbucker is made up of two coils as opposed to a single coil....The two coils in a humbucker are conncted in Series but out of phase with each other on opposite pole of a bar magnet.... this constrution cancells out the hum associated with single coils... the result is a warm-smmoth sound...

I like humbuckers in the bridge and single coils in the neck...

Attached Files:

3. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

couldn't have put it btr jocelyn
    a little more searching on wikipedia would help u no doubt
    i got a guitar a couple of days back with a s-s-h config and i like the single coils sound btr, although i can't help notice that my finger almost always switches on the humbucker
    man i do love power

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

@ prit_undead single colis are great..... belive me.. though I prefer humbuckers.. Single coils have their place.....and I just need them at times to get that single coil tone You can buy after market humbucker that are wound to give a BRIIGHTISH TONE.. but even then these humbuckers would still sound SMOTHER and WARMER and FULLER compared to a single coil... again you can buy after market Single coils that wound to give a warmer tone..( I AM NOT TALKING ABOUTH SINGLE COILED SIZED HUMBUKERS BUT PROPER SINGLE COILS) Yet these wouls still sound BRIGHT-PUNCHCY AND CLEAR when compared to a HUMBUCKER.

I like the way Ronnieanand puts it " you require guts to play with single coils"... another guy in the other forum i go to also put it very well " when I was younger when I could hardly play and when my guitar playing was sloppy all I only wanted to play was GIBSONS......Teles were too bright for me ..... BUT now after almost 4 decades when my playing has improved I want to play only Fenders and i dont find TELES too bright . Ofcourse many people prefer the warm tone of humbukers... and it would be VERY IMPROPER AND UNFAIR to say that people playing Humbukers play them to hide thier sloppy playing......

5. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

in a way u r right
    single coils do hav their own melody

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I was just practisng to day on my "V" whihc has the JB in the bridge and single coil in the neck..... and I found my self wanting to use the single coil more.... just for clarity.... The JB rocks for sure...