Shutdown problems + query...

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by i'm_not_neo, Oct 16, 2006.

1. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

I have a minor shutdown problem.Whenever I turned off/hibernated my PC the power would get cut off automatically,now it doesnt.So I have to manually close the main switch which gets frustrating sometimes...
    For those who were recommending to go to contol panel--->power options---->Advanced tab...it doesn't work.I tried it.
    This problem occured on my recent re-installation of Win XP.So I even tried reinstalling it again.It didn't work and I'm not looking forward to do that again unless I'm sure it'll help.
    My friend said there may be some CMOS/BIOS settings error (which I dare not change without any knowledge)....
    If anyone has faced this prob.(and got out of it) already help me!

Oh,and out of curiosity does having 384 MB RAM make the system unstable.I mean I had heard 64,128,512....but recently I bought 256 MB RAM and the technician just added it to my existing 128 MB.I never heard of 384 MB RAM.SO tell me is it ok or it is risky for the system in any way.

2. cronix

cronix New Member

no the problem is definately not with ur ram..... but i didnt understand what u are saying..... let me see if i got it right.... when u press shutdown in windows then ur pc refuses to shut down?????

3. i'm_not_neo

No it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer" instead of cutting off the power automatically which it used to do previously...

4. cronix

cronix New Member

that is really wierd.... such a message should not come in windows Xp..... are u using an ATX cabinet

5. i'm_not_neo

I'm really not familiar with the terminlogy of PCs...But it can't be a hardware peripheral problem right? (since it used to switch off earlier)

6. cronix

cronix New Member

can u send me a screenshot of ur pc with the start menu open and the computer properties open.

7. i'm_not_neo

If you mean by a dig. cam/cell phone with cam I don't have either...
    If there's any other way,let me know...
    If there's no other way I'll manage it sometime today in the evening....check it whenever you can.

8. cronix

cronix New Member

Maybe the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled. To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View. Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem. Or, to check the other side of the APM/ACPI coin, open the Power Options applet in Control Panel. If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked.

9. cronix

cronix New Member

^^^if this doesnt work try setting the bios setting to default

10. cronix

cronix New Member

tell me if any of this works

11. cronix

cronix New Member

hey did it work

12. i'm_not_neo

Cronix...
    "Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem."
    There's no APM/NT Legacy node.

13. cronix

cronix New Member

^^^^i'll have to do some R&D for it..... will get the solution soon enough.... gimme me one day

14. cronix

cronix New Member

did u try resetting ur bios settings to default.... did u add any new hardware to ur comp.

15. i'm_not_neo

I reset the BIOS to default.
    I did install a LAN card recently but the problem persisted before that.