Seymour Duncan Neck Pickup Enquiry

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Feb 14, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    I am thinking of try out Seymour Duncan SH4 JB for the bridge. The suggestions for neck are either SH1 '59 or SH2 Jazz. The bridge pickup has been decided on SH4 and now the question is for the next pickup. What do you suggest would be better '59 or Jazz. I am looking at something which is really clean in it's sound and it should be very articulate and tight sounding. Note tracking should be excellent both in clean as well as in distortion. How is the sustain of these. I have read all the Harmony Central reviews. I am looking for some user reviews here.

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

dmf has a Jazz in his Ibanez's neck. It's airy sounding to me clean...responds well to tone roll off. Dunno distorted.. playing through the bridge mostly.

3. ronnieanand

Can you describe this airy sounding thing to me. I dont get it.

4. abhijitnath

As in..youve heard an archtop right? When you play chords you can almost hear the sound vibrating in the soundbox. Thats the kind of sound the Jazz had to me..not a very clear, glassy clean like a strat pickup..more mid-heavy and compressed sounding.

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ He's right. The Jazz sounds compressed but it's a really really nice tone. I prefer it to the JB for leads and sweeps anyway. The JB is excellent for riff-crunching.

Lately I have been playing a lot of bluesy/jazzy stuff and I find the SH-2N perfect sound-wise. The distortion sounds smooth enough to me. I was playing some blues through the Marshall stack model in my Roland amp and it sounds very warm and fluid. Just like abhijitnath said the tone is not super clear like a Strat tone but close.

6. ronnieanand

Do you mean to say that it's kinda muddy. I am looking at a very focussed tone that is smooth and clean as well.

7. abhijitnath

Umm..yes it is slightly muddy. For the focussed sort of thing, use the Carvin Holdsworths..they split well also. They have a very smooth OD character...can be used for fluid runs.

8. ronnieanand

Holdsworths are not the usual size as you said and I dont want to touch the body of my guitar for any mods. Any other Seymour Duncan or DiMarzios. I prefer these two brands 'cos it's value for money.

9. abhijitnath

It's smaller not larger. So no mods required per se. There will some space inside your pickup mounts, thats it.

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dude..the best place for your answer is the seymour duncan forum...amazing amount of info there from ppl who swap pups night and day..and no..they dont blindly bash other brands....so reviews ought to be fair;)
    https://seymourduncan.com/forum/index.php?s=
    And do consider the Dimarzio Virtual PAF neck, stellar reviews all around.It is supposed to have a sweet clean tone and great articulation, its low output(210mV) PAF type DC specs at 7.96K..

11. abhijitnath

Hey is there any basis for the theory that the way you wind pickups impacts the sound and so forth? There are many boutique pickup makers who claim that this is the case.
    Also, DC resistance is apparently no basis for a one-to-one comparison. The comparisons started when othe makers had started making PAF clones and there was no easy way to compare besides resistance. It doesn't work across models and types of pickups in the indiscriminate way its quoted on websites.

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I dunno yaar...everywhere people make a big deal out of it...eg..everyone wants a 10K range PAF...ab bhai mai to bachha hun..zyaada pata nahin:eek::

Of course there must be some fundaes..changing magnet types is bound to have some effect...DMZ has their 'Air' technology where they put a spacer between the pole pieces and magnets..and I have read that pickups with good harmonics(say, Fred) usually have mismatched coils..bahut paintre hain;)
    I guess DC and output values can be useless for comparison, but the way the pup is wound and the materials used makes all the difference..

BTW the tone charts are misleading too..you cant do an A/B of the Duncan and DMZ tone charts at all..and unfortunately we dont live in the US and cannot avail of exchange policies incase of a wrong choice...have to go by the reviews and sound clips before buying:annoyed:

13. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

well..i suggest a evo neck would settle you needs i think..its very tight sounding and sustain is very very good ..and the tone is very nice ...but u will sound a lot like steve vai ...not that it is bad or anythin !!!

only problem wit the evolution bein..if ur technique is lackin ..it will show ..cuz if ur are a clean player ..it will make you sound nice but if you are a sloppy player ..it will make you sound horrible ..

IN SD ..the 59 is a very clean pickup..in comparison to the jazz...i have no idea cuz i have only played the SH 59..it doesnt sound as good as the evo when distorted and it doesnt have the evos sustain .but the cleans are rite up dere with the best .

wat kinda music do u wanna play mainly with these pickups anyway ?cleans all the way or cleans with some distortion in it ?

why dont you look into PRS pickups ..?? My frnd bought a PRS recently and his guitar sounded very good clean..but i dont know how they will sound distorted

14. ronnieanand

I am not sure about Evolutions. Evolutions are pretty dark sounding basically. I am looking at some very bright and clean. Basically my humbucker should sound like Single Coils. That's the whole point. Some clean enough to play SRV, Floyd, etc.. Do Evolutions break up soon or how clean are they. Tell me about both the Bridge and Neck.

15. abhijitnath

I hate the Evo clean personally. It's too strident and hi-fi sounding for what you want.
    Have you considered P-90 pickups btw? If you want a single coil clarity with some fatness in the sound, I think P-90s are the best bet and I think that's what you're looking for. EG of P-90 clean tone-the solo of Another Brick in the Wall Part II. Of distorted tone-Most early Santana.

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

I thought you liked Evos?

17. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

regarding the evos ...

the evolution bridge is very very tight ..and it is a very high output pickup..and the best part i like about this pickup is that the harmonics are everywhere..and the bass notes really have that punch in dem.you will get a lotta harmonic feedback but nothin which cant be tamed..actually i tink harmonic feedback is required and it sounds cool if they are controlled
    properly ....

but i would also say that the SH 4b also very good pickup and can do most of the things the evo bridge can do ..some even better ..but the evo will allow you to pull it off better because of its harmonic galore ..

regarding the evolution neck..as i said ..its got a very tight sound aaahh..like a fat sound to it ..and it sounds nice clean and very nice when distorted ..but i will recommend it only if you are lookin for a pickup havin super sustain and soundin great distorted..not that the cleans are bad or anythin ...but more of there are many pickups out dere which sounds like the evolution when played clean..so I dont see the point in buyin the evo

if you want a real idea how the evos sounds clean ..watch the g3 2004 video..steve vai covers little wing -jimi ..that may give you and idea of how the pickup sounds like ..

personally if i wanted mainly clean tones..i will not go for the evos simply because they are 2 high output which is unnecessary when playin clean stuff

and both the pickups really cut thorugh the sound and make sure everynote shows up nad still give you awesome sustain..that has always bein the kinda trademark of the evos ..

and regardin the price ..its 120$ together for bridge and neck ..well worth it accordin to me

18. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I repeat, Virtual PAF neck(supposed to sound somewhere between a SC and HB)
    Also the Bluesbucker(A HB sized P-90)
    Of course I havent played either,but descriptions sound like it might do the stuff you want..