scales across the fretboard

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cosmokorg, Sep 6, 2004.

1. cosmokorg

cosmokorg New Member

hello all...

i'm pretty much a novice now...

i have a question about playing Major scales across the fretboard...
    i know about the 5 patterns that allows to plays any scale or mode from relatively anywhere or the same scale from any key of the scale.

that pretty much covers Major scales in box form, i.e it uses the 6 string but just at most perhaps 4-6 frets alongside

Q: How do i start from the top E string and play a scale, say C and progress to the next string (A) and keep doing so (may scope more than 1 octave) till the lower e string, and having moved along the fretboard as well.

Is there any followed pattern/structure that i need to know?

i hope my question makes sense!
    thanks

2. cool_is_rule

cool_is_rule Lead Guitarist

Scales

I am also a beginner. There is no particular pattern as i think. U can play scale from any where any fret any string.

C SCALE

Scale with some open notes……..

e------------------------------0-1-3-5-7-8-7--------------------------------------
    B-------------------0-1-3----------------------10-8-------------------------------
    G------------0-2---------------------------------------10-9-7-5-4----------------
    D-----0-2-3-----------------------------------------------------------7-5---------
    A--3------------------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5---
    E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-

Scale with closed notes……..

e---------------------------------5-7-8-7------------------------------------------------------
    B-------------------------5-6-8-----------10-8---------------------------------------------------
    G--------------2-4-5-7--------------------------10-9-7-5-4--------------------------------
    D-------2-3-5---------------------------------------------------7-5--------------------------
    A--3-5----------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5--------------------
    E------------------------------------------------------------------------------8------------

U can play in many ways . Just keep playing scales . Very helpful.
    :rockon:

cOoL iS :rule: