scale help...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Yousuf_guitar, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Yousuf_guitar

Yousuf_guitar New Member

scale help...tell me bout who lamhey scales and what are their frets

hey guyz.one of my friends had played the solo of woh lamhay only on the lower E string.........without any effects or pedals and it sounded somewhat more than just ok.......he said that he played it on the scale of C or D (i dont remember)..i asked which frets did this scale consist of he told that they were on frets 2,3,5,7,8,12.....and on or 2 more..........after that i didnt get time to meet him........
    can anyone here tell me bout such scales and what are their frets.......
    Yousuf

2. jusmail

jusmail New Member

Going by the frets you've given, it sounds like he had played the song in E minor sclae. Jayswami had played the same song available at his site. There he has played it on G-sharp minor scale!

3. Yousuf_guitar

Yousuf_guitar New Member

hey can u give the frets for other such scales

4. Liquid

Liquid New Member

just a quick question....

is there a shortcut to find the eminor scale?....like can i just take the e scale and flat every note?....or no?....

u cant do that can u?

5. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Yes there is
    If you take the minor scale for instance, it is formed of:
    1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 notes
    another notation for this is:
    Tonic, W, H, W, W, H, W, W
    where W is whole step and H is half step.
    So you have E(tonic), F#(whole step), G (half step), A, B, C, D E is the E minor scale.
    if you memorize the W/H notation u can derive any scale from any tonic.

6. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

hey right on, ananth, when I first started Iuse to use finger position 4 every scale , most of the times I build my own scales, or I can hear the "off" note while playing now. You guys can check out my last lessons on BUILDING GUITAR SCALES LESSON 1 on lessons and tips, and lesson 2 on beginners Q &A