Right-handed person learning left-handed guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by maxeffect, Aug 13, 2007.

1. maxeffect

maxeffect New Member

As the title says, how abt a right-handed(RH) person learning a L-handed(LH) guitar or a LH person learning RH guitar.

The logic is- the important part of pressing the rite chord combination and streaming thro the fret board shud be done by ur proper hand and strumming the strings can be done by the odd hand as well. :think:

so as per above logic, a RH person "shud" play a LH guitar.

i havnt played a guitar yet...so mite have missed any fine part of playing guitar, so this logic fit gud for me...wat do u ppl think, is d logic rite? :confused:

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

well i can put it this way:

your strumming/picking are more delicate actions requiring more precision as well.

hence an RH uses rught hand to do that

3. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

To add to it,

I also feel that a right handed guy would have more control on his right hand and hence he could condition it easily and make actions with right hand involuntary with ease. He can then concentrate on left hand for fretting without having to worry bout his right hand.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Right.
    Infact I dont recall ever seeing where my right hand is going (while pikcing).
    While even after playing for so long, I still have to look at the fretboard sometimes just to get visual feedback on where my left hand is.

5. shankarbn

shankarbn New Member

I had the exact same notion when i started off with guitar.... and i still do firmly believe that if i would hav taken up left handed guitaring, i'd be better off.. The funny thing is i couldnt find a left handed guitar for my budget... so just took to the usual way... i will, someday.. learn the left handed guitar too! ..

PS: I am a right handed person and unfortunately a right handed guitarist!

6. maxeffect

maxeffect New Member

Thanx, alpha1 and elfascinating for that input :lighten: ...is there any other reason??

just like shankar i am too looking forward to learn a left-handed guitar(i'm RH), so apart from dat convenience is there any deterrent to learning a LH guitar. :alien1:

btw shankar, is a LH guitar more expensive than a RH one, y so? :shock:

7. mustafa2753

mustafa2753 New Member

i would agree with alpha1. i am left handed and had a lot of trouble learning the right handed guitar.
    i could control the fret very easily with my left hand but had great difficulty in strumming (with my right hand). so much so that i am trying to start all over again and learn the left handed guitar :(

8. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

u can just flip da strings and make a right handed guitar a left handed one....eva seen jimi hendrix?????

9. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

A lotta players play right handed even if they are born left handed.I for one never had a problem playing this way.Actually,I was able to get really quick results learning this way because of easier control of my fretting hand(my stronger hand).And the reason why i played right handed is because i dint have access to a left handed guitar.

And to the above comment,hendrix according to me is not an all round great guitarist .When you talk about technique, people like joe satriani ,steve vai,john petrucci and paul gilbert are better than hendrix .But many feel including me that hendrix is the greatest because of 2 reasons...1 being his ability to throw in notes which when added to the song made is more "musically" ...and 2 ..being his ability to understand music and compose "great "tunes for which you really need to be gifted.Also,all the guitarists i mentioned were heavily influenced my hendrix ,so you could say that there is a bit uh jimi in all of them.

10. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

m just tellin dem da trick of making a right handed guitar a left handed one........and i gave an xample of a great guitarist who does dis........