right hand position

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by god_of_guitar, Feb 24, 2007.

1. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

where should we keep our picking hand.... on the guitar or should it not touch the guitar

2. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Ok. I'm assuming you're asking about the wrist (and below) in relation to the bridge area of the guitar.. It viaries upon playing styles... rythm or strumming could totally avoid it.. leads, riffs, slow, fast, sweeping etc would be better with some touch on the guitar.

As a guideline (for beginners only), your playing hand pinky finger should touch the guitar body somwhere below the high 'e' string (somewhere on the pick guard area or below the bridge of the guitar). Lets call this "Picking hand support" for want of a better term.Picking hand support helps your playing hand have a directional sense for movement. It aslo controls excess movement of the hand; controls your action to a certain area (like a boundary of the 6 strings, beyond which you do not go). This in turn, helps build up speed and accuracy.

Lemme know if this helps/makes sense!!!

3. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

finally... someone replied to this........
    i used to play with the pinky touching the guitar and i think i am quite fast at it but many people told me that for attaining maximum speed(shredding) our hand should not touch any part of the guitar... it should be as loose as possible....when we touch the guitar with our pinky we exert some force on the hand and hence we wouldn't be able to achieve great speeds while picking...... but i am confused because now when i play with my hand loose nd not touching the guitar .... im not getting the same accuracy and speed.... how should i practise??

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I think I keep my right hand on teh bridge.
    Or mebbe just above.

Never paid that much attention.

5. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I dont necessarily agree with that, but anyways...
    Well just remember, you start with learning to play with support. After you have mastered playing with some kinda support.. you can try going on to play without any support if you really want to take that advice.