RG 550 reissue limited edition!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by god_of_guitar, Apr 19, 2007.

1. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

oh and the ibanez rg550...damn! as much as i think ibanez's are the ugliest guitars around, this one has to take the cake!

hehe no offence bro, im a strat guy :D

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

With the quality of recording I'm getting through my rig it might as well be...but clearly i'm going to have to do something about that...just not sure what 8|

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Ibanez guitars are pretty ugly. But that thing looks awesome in red...and with EMGs they would LOOK better

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i was thinking to put in air nortan and tone zone as i am more into steve vai and satriani and these pickups are the best for this kinda stuff... wat do you say and im ordering a laney from bajaao lv200... is it worth it.. please tell fast as i have to order tommorow and what is the difference between lv300 an 200 only 100 rs price difference i can see and it 120v.. which one should i buy?

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

one is 65 w and the other is 120w . I called him like the last time u asked and one of the models isnt available.hve u contacted him yet?

6. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I say go for the 200 cause you really wont need the extra 60watts plus you can get verb from a pedal (its digital anyway). I think sound wise they're prety much the same..check the clips on the laney web.

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

ok.. but if sound wise it is the same then 120 watts is just 100 bucks more.. what do you guys say... and what is the bajaao guys no. ill call him now..

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^ go for the 120w if its there

9. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

MXD are out...LX have replaced them...they dont make em n e more..

11. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

The LV200 has a headphone jack. The LV300 doesn't have a headphone jack.

The LV300 combo has a a Celestion Seventy-Eighty. The LV200 has a Celestion Super 65.

LV300 is rated at 120W. LV200 is rated at 65 watts.

Thats about all.

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I would strongly advise against high wattage SS amps. I have a Marshall 2x50 and even that can't take the heat. Yup "HEAT" is a major problem and often overlooked in our craving for more Power. The Higher the wattage the more current your transformer needs to put out and ICs don't perform consistently when they start to cook. Heat dissipation in SS amps is not great. Anyone with a big amp would have noticed a loss of punch after about a hour or two of playing at high gain/ high Volume. If you use procs or pedals you may not notice this as much as if you drive the amp hard. My Marshall has a fan in the back but clearly that is very inadequate, I have to adjust my sound every half hour, but regardless of pedals or not, try this out for yourselves, Your tone gets mushier after a while

Now you may argue that the Marshall is made in India and the Laney is made wherever but trust me this applies to ALL hi wattage SS amps, mainly because they just have a single transformer to power the board and drive the speaker. I never need to push the Marshall beyond 3-4 on MV. Its just ridiculously loud and frankly starts sounding like noise more than music.

BIG amps only sound good because they have BIG expensive speakers in them housed in large cabs that can displace more air, and THAT should be high on your priority list. A 30-40W with a good 12" celestion is PERFECT for home and rehearsal even with a heavy handed drummer. Anything more is Overkill. If you play live a lot I'd assume you'll be using house amps. Big gigs always have the cabs mic'ed anyway so all that wattage never really gets used

This may sound weird but a 15 Watt Amp has more than Half the Volume of a 100W one. "Wattage" and "Loudness" don't scale linearly. What you want is not a higher wattage but a higher SPL (Sound Pressure Level) and you get that by using a good speaker in an appropriate (open/closed back) cab. Moral: Compare SPL specs of your speaker options, not so much wattage

Think small Amp, big(ger) cab, great speaker and you won't go wrong. And check the specs to make sure that the Input Impedence is minimum 100k ohms. If you use a lot of effects you should get one with an effects loop and use it.

FWIW tubes are just the opposite, they sound sweeter over time, unless of course the trany gets too hot.

If that 2x12 speaker option wasn't there I'd write off my Marshall as a waste for reasons stated despite the fact that its a great sounding amp...but alas...I have plans for it ;)

13. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

so which amp do you guys recommend

14. yazi

yazi Banned

Laney LX 35R or Laney LX 35D

15. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

So much money... :shock:

16. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

dude.. hard saved money over a couple of years...

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^hundered : stop making people feel like dicks...i know its your thang or wtv :p but poor guys let him enjoy

18. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

thnxx for defending me.. you go on top of my list for igtinas i respect and admire

19. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Don't cry little kids. You have a lot of money. I stated that. Why do you feel like a dick? I'd have been happy to have good money to spend on good gear. :think:

20. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

im not feeling like like a dik... even im feeling great cause im getting good gear but the amp... im still really confused what to buy...