REQ: scales

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by satriani, Jul 27, 2004.

1. satriani

satriani run in veins

guyz can anyone of u post scales here so beginners like me can learn the scales from here.

2. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Look up cyberfret.com or something. That's the easier way out. 10 guys here would give you 10 scales with 10 sets of instructions, which one would you follow?

It's best you follow a universally accepted tutor, such as cyberfret.com.

Raj

3. satriani

satriani run in veins

thanks bro

4. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

hey satranii...rajscoprs is rite there too many diff scales for a same note....well i know 3 scales of "C" two of "A" and many more.....if ppl. like me knows two or more scale for a same note...then probably ppl knowing better thn me might have 10 -20 scales for same note.....so which one would be followed? so better way out it i https://www.cyberfret.com

5. satriani

satriani run in veins

haan yaar u guyz r rite thanks bro !

6. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Hmm... sumit, the way you put it is actually wrong.. The scale is the same... every single note for one particular scale is the same... only you can play it in different ways. The theory is the same, but you play it the way you can or want to.

7. alex

alex New Member

hey i have checked the links they r great *** scales , but i id'nt get it yet , whts the difference between octaves and scales, i know octaves Major , minor, you can simply calculate it by a formula i.e tone,tone,semi-tone,tone,tone,tone,semi-tone (which i know)

c,c#,d,d#,e,f,f#,g,g#,a,a#,b

tone = 1 complete note c to d
    semi-tone = c to c#

so the c major octave is C D E F G A B C
    t t s t t t s

but as far as the song goes - when you say that this song is on c major scale ? wht does that mean - how come you calculate that ?? depending upon the notes played or chords,

i can tab the songs well and serach chords at times - but i have been doing that - through my ears only - putting which ever sound guds and fits the song. I want to to it gramatically now - so as soon as tab a song - i can get the chords as well. i know the notes on freetboard - how to calculate notes by cing the string- but never tried to memorised it-

I have seen a few songs on the site like najane kyoun strings - both the chords sounds fine to me - but some says that its a minor scale song you cannot use major chord into it.

needs help here - think i m confused

8. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

9. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

An octave represents the range of musical notes between one base not and the other, say one C to the next C. In physical terms, this is equivalent to a frequency multiplier of 2. i.e, if you take the A note at 440Hz, the next A will be at 880Hz, and all musical notes within this frequency range form the octave. Octave is not really as important as the concept of scales when it comes to composing (or tabbing) music. And octaves don't have names (theres no "major octave").

A scale represents a series of notes from an octave. For instance, c,c#,d,d#,...b,C form an octave. The notes CDEFGABC form a scale, in this case called the major scale. Scales came into being because it has been observed over many years that certain notes sound good when played together, or convey a certain feeling when played together. This concept is taken to the extreme in Indian classical music, where raagas (which can be likened to, but are not exactly scales) which define a series of notes and also the order in which they can appear in a song. To get a feel for this, play the major scale CDEFGABC and see how it feels. Then play this scale: C,C#,E,F#,G,G#,B,C. These notes constitute the raaga called "panthuvaraali" in carnatic music (or "poorvi" in hindustani). This has a more sensual feel compared to the major scale (I think the song "hai raama" from rangeela is in this scale). Scales can also have less or more number of notes, not necessarily seven. For instance the C major pentatonic scale is CDEGAC (these notes constitute the raaga "mohanam").

However, when a song is said to be in a certain scale, its not always strict that it should contain only the notes in that scale (though it usually does). In some places you can have notes which don't belong tot he scale, these are called "accidentals". Even so, its important to know the scale to really understand the song.

In any case, these details are not very important in the beginning. Just play your songs the way they sound right to you, you will learn everything else as time goes by.

esgallindeion likes this.
  10. alex

alex New Member

wel thnx for all the info - i did get it - but very few, ok CDEFGABC can be played from any of the freets /strings or from 5 th 6th?? is that a C major scale ? it comprises of above 8 notes. well they sound like - sa re ga ma ...... played from anywhere - rite, so the scales r differenrt from ovtaves. i'll try playing - C,C#,E,F#,G,G#,B,C as well again letme know the freets/strings?? and which scale is this one?

jayanth - i'll try that site as well - thanx to you both

11. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

You can think of an octave as representing a frequency range. In one octave, a certain note will appear only once. The same note will appear in all the octaves, and its frequency will be related by a factor of 2. For instance, if the note C in the first octave has a frequency f. In the second octave, its frequency will be 2f, and 4f in the third octave and so on. The note C# will have a higher frequency than C, say it is (f+k) in the first octave. The C# in the second octave will then be 2x(f+k). I hope u get the idea.

A note appears once in each octave. Lets call its occurences in subsequent octaves as its "children". If a not belongs to a scale, then all its child/parent notes will also belong to the scale. So in our example above, if C belongs to the scale, it means the frequencies f, 2f, 4f etc. will all be in the scale.

Another thing to understand is how notes are repeated on the guitar fretboard. For instance, the note C appears on (assuming standard tuning): 1st fret of second string (from below), 5th fret of third string, 8th fret of first string, 3rd fret of 5th string etc. The first two mentioned are the same note, in that they are the same frequency (though the tone may differ due to the nature of the string etc. but don't worry abt that). The other two are child/parent of this note according to our "terminology". so the 8th fret on first string C will be twice the frequency of the first fret second string C.

This is an interesting thing on the guitar - frequency is inversely proportional to the length of the vibrating string. So the open first string is E, and 12th fret first string is E of the next octave which must be double the frequency. So the length of the vibrating part of the string when you press on the 12th fret must be exactly half the length of the open string. So the 12th fret must be exactly half way between the nut and the bridge of the guitar.

Hope I didn't confuse you. These things are really interesting if u get into it, though not essential for playing. But I think learning about the instrument is as enjoyable as playing it. Either way, just have fun!

btw I've attached the tab for the scale I said before. I dunno what its called in western music or if it even has a name in western music. Indian music has many more scales than western music. You can just call it "poorvi".

Attached Files:

12. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

@ ananth- :confused: why don't they just name things that sound different differently (kidding)...strangely enough.......i think i understand what you wrote....very intresting.

13. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Anyone here have scale charts??

14. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills &amp; Far Away

i do have a great scales and chords chart in one but it's too big to post here (5 MB pdf). if someone has a hosting site, i can upload it there for ppl to d/l it.

15. jayanth

I can host it.. Email it to me..

16. alex

alex New Member

well that would be great jayanth !!!!!!!!

and anath this i got u well - and that was really informative and interesting - and i do agree with you that learning about the instrument is as enjoyable as playing it. and Either way, thanx again ananth

17. jayanth

It seems its copywrittn.. Alex we will find an alternative for you.. PLease wait..

18. alex

alex New Member

thanx jayanth - i'll wait for it .....

19. jayanth

Alex sahab.. I've posted some Scle material on Tutorial Section.. PLEase read them...

20. alex

alex New Member

yeh thnx i was jus looking in to it - i'll work on it ........ u rock