REQ: i wanna know wat exactly suspensions r, n how r thery formed in an easy n detai?

Discussion in 'English Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by sigmund_q, Jun 27, 2005.

1. sigmund_q

sigmund_q New Member

HOPE U PPL HELP ME OUT N WILL B WAITIN 4 UR REPLY EAGERLY....
    NJOY GUYS N GALS!!!! :nw:

2. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

Yeah same here. rather how to play 5's, 7's , 9's and augmented ones too.

The only thing i heard about them was (frm my frend ) tht, say u want to play a'sus'5 then suspend the 5 note frm tht scale of chord 'A'. but hows its exaclty done, i dunno. if any one (some superb guitarists here :rock: ) can let us know.

thnx
    sachoo

PS - lift the middle finger and play tht 3rd string open for Asus5 (as u play conventional 'A' chord). tht wat my fren told me to do.
    and dont forget to :rock: guys.

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey for that ya need to know how chords are formed ...

so for that u'll have to know the scales ...
    most basic things: there are two scales major scale and minor scale ...

so if u play 1st 3rd and 5th notes together u form a chord ...
    suppose it is C major chord= C(1st-root) + E(3rd) + G(5th) ...\
    C sus2 will have C(1st) + D(2nd) + G(5th) ...
    Csus4 will have C + F + G

note all these are on major scale ...

similarly on minor scale lets take C minor:
    Cm = C(1st) + Eb(3rd) + G(5th) ...

N.B.: to remove any possible confusion ... 3rd of minor scale = flat 3rd of major scale ...

so what do we realise here ...
    the middle note is changing ... from D (in sus2 chord) to Eb (in minor chord) to E (major chord) to F (sus4 chord) ...

so in any chord u havta identify the middle note and alter it ...

songs where Dsus2 -> Dm -> Dsus4 is used is Mama Said (Metallica)
    song where Dsus2 - > D major -> Dsus4 is used is Breakfast at Tiffany (dunno which band) ...
    usually Dm and D are not played in same passage ...

4. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

You guys are in wrong forum. There is dedicated beginners Q/A forum, you will find answers to most of your questions.

Please visit them, i bet you will definitely gain something from there in your first visit.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Like slayer says, the major chord is made by playing the 1st,3rd and 5th note of the major scale and the minor chord is made by playing the 1st, flat 3rd and 5th of the major scale.

To play a sus chord, you just have to remove the 3rd and put in either the 2nd or the 4th note of the scale...If you put in the 4th, its a sus4 and if you put in the 2nd, its sus2.

That is why you see that there is no major sus or minor sus, because the determining 3rd degree has been removed. However, this does not in any way mean that you can play either a major or minor scale over the sus chord. The chord is determined in context to what other chords you're playing...eg:

If its a progression like : Am, Dm, Gsus4, G7, C.

You can't play a G minor scale over the sus chord just because it is ambigous. It will, in context, be taken to be a major family chord.

5's: These are what we call power chords. Just remove the 3rd and play the 1st and the 5th and its a power chord. The classic shape for this chord is:

[35xxxx] is a G5. Slide up and down for others. [x35xxx] is a C5.

7's: There are major 7's and minor 7's. Major sevenths are major chords with the major seventh note added to them. eg: C maj7 would be C,E,G,B.

Minor sevenths are minor chords with the minor 7th or the flat 7th note added to them. Cmin7 would be C,Eb,G,Bb.

9ths: 9ths are dominant seventh chords with a 9th note added to it. Note that we call it the 9th note and NOT the second note because we usually play it one octave higher than the root but that is not always so. However, the name sticks as 9th. The same logic applies for 11ths and 13ths.

Augmented chords: These are chords with the 5th note sharpened. i.e. for a C chord, G becomes G#.