REQ Help with palm muting.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by d_ist_urb_ed, Oct 9, 2004.

1. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Hi guys,
    I came across this tab yesterday, and it goes like this

Intro:(*-palm mute)
    E:-------------------------------------------------|
    B:-------------------------------------------------|
    G:----------------------------------------------9--|
    D:----------------------------------------------9--|
    A:---------------------------6*-7*-0*-0*-0*-0*--7--|
    E:-0*-0*-0*-5*-5*-5*-5*-5*-7*----------------------|
    I just cant seem to understand how to do this thing. :think: Can anyone please help me out.
    Thanks,
    Matt.

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Use ur picking hand to mute the strings at the very end of the bridge and then play the notes. This creates a thick percussive sound.

If you want anymore info on this or anything else, use www.cyberfret.com

3. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

its simple, use ur right hand to mute the strings wen picking. the right hand touches the strings near the bridge..but make sure u get the sound u want..i.e. find the position where u get a thick heavy muted sound. u can compare the sound to the track.

4. d_ist_urb_ed

Thanks

Hey, thanks tejas and assasin. That really helped me out. I finally got the right sound. Thanks again :nw:

5. 6String_assasin

ur welcome...n congrats, u just started kickin some metal ;)

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@disturbed......u can also mute by just resting ur left hand fingers on the string at the corresponding fret...instead of pressing the string..which i find much easier...somehow palm muting isnt easy for me to do when playin anything fst

7. d_ist_urb_ed

Thanks saurabh

First of all, thanks saurabh for taking time off and replying to my post. I really appreciate that:) And yeah, you're right, palm muting isnt easy for me too when playing anything for the first time. The thing that really bugged me was that, i didnt get the right sound. However following the age old adage, i tried and tried and was 'bout to cry when i finally got the sound and went "Eureka"(minus the naked running through the street):D And the site by tejas www.cyberfret.com has some really good videos and instructions. Thanks people, :beer:
    :rockon:

8. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

muting with the left hand gives a very different sound then muting with the right.

9. 6String_assasin

yea, saurabh dun confuse urself btw the two..

10. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Place your Right hand partially on the bridge and pick the notes..

11. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@disturbed..any time man
    @6string & Rabi i aint confused :p...it stilll gives a pecussive sound....the diff may be that the sound on palm muting sounds more like a note whereas with left hand muting it sounds more percussive...but with 2-3 strings i usuallly prefer left hand muting.....i guess left hand muting as opposed to palm muting...gives u muted notes at the corresponding fret...and they way i see it left hand muting sounds better thatn palm muting, and sounds more like the original....except in places where they ask u to use PM....so unless otherwise mentiond i always use lefthand muting....suits me fine...i rarely try palm muting except when playing summer of 69 intro.....
    @jay ...that is exactly what i do...keep my pinkie on the bridge...read that on slashs homepage...

12. jayanth

I can play slow stuff like slash.. The stuff i play, i need to place my Palm is such a way that i wouldnt be able to move my wrist across the strings.. This way i gain accuracy and speed and clear sound..

13. 6String_assasin

@saurabh, i think you are highly confused...you cannot use a left hand mute in place of a palm mute..they sound totally different. I think you never got the right sound probably..listen to some artists other than Gnr ;) as Jayanth also suggested you, artists like Creed, Godsmack, Rammstein..they use a lot of palm muting..oh yea, Metallica too..

14. tejas

tejas ..........

Palm muting is best used in thrash metal. Check out megadeth, metallica, slayer or Testament. That will help u with it.

15. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

In fingerstyle guitar (purely acoustic) right hand muting is called Heel Damping. The heel of the right hand mutes the bass strings (right near the bridge) creating a 'thumping' sound. Quite popular in Travis picking songs.

Raj

16. jayanth

Damping yhea i was trying to remember what its called.. Anyways Back to the MEtal Muting part, Listen to System Of A Down.. also Left hand muting will generate Artificial Harmonic frequencies which i would never want when palm muting.. Besides how can you play a power chord and mute wiht your left hand at the same time??