Recognising Frets ? ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Bhat, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Bhat

Bhat New Member

though trying to learn as much as i can from this forum; i am still doubtful about the fret nos. and recognizing them.

Can anyone help?

2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

well,
    u can memorise them by either remembering them as fret 1 or 2 and so on.
    like,if u are given tabs as:-
    e-1---2--4

that wld mean u have to play fret numbers 1,2 and 4 on lower e.
    u have to memorise the fret numbers which u wld do as u count them.

also, there is a sequencing like
    E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#

so suppose,if u are on string e(first string,lower e) then the first fret in that first string wld be F and the second fret wld be F# and so on.

hope u got an explination to what u wanted.

3. Bhat

Bhat New Member

thanks a lot this makes me understand better; however i understood your first 2 para. but the rest is slight confuding,
    like the sequencing part

E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#

here "E" is this the lower e you spoke about in the first line........ ok wait i think i got it

is it like E,F,F# would be

1st and 2nd fret on the lower e........ thisk i am right and if so then G,G# would be 2nd fret on g.

Correct i think i am asking too much, but have to cause i am a novice

Thnx in advance,

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

The frets are the metal strips across your fingerboard, so the first of those is your first fret. Maybe you already know this. Now each fret represents an increment of a semi-tone, or so called "half a note".

So going from the open string (or 0 fret) each fret adds on those many semi-tones. The first fret adds 1 semi-tone, the 10th fret adds 10 semi-tones. So if you were playing the 7th fret on the G string, it would be G + 7 semi-tones = D (G (0); G#, A, Bb, B, C, C#, D (7))

No. G is the 0th fret or the open G string. G# is the first fret, A is the 2nd fret on the G string.

5. jeffhardy

jeffhardy New Member

thanks for the help