Reading chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by deviated, Jul 5, 2005.

1. deviated

deviated New Member

I've gone through so many posts within IGT, as well as searched almost the whole WWW for information on reading chords. But, I still haven't found what I m looking for. My question is, I suppose, a basic one. If there is a chord tabs such as this,

Am.....................G
    chura.liya.hai.tum.ne.jo.dil.ko

how exactly am i supposed to play this?

Am I supposed to keep on striking the Am chord continuously till I reach the "tum..." part and then switch to G and strike it continously till I reach the end or am I supposed to just strike the Am chord once and then wait to get to the "tum.." part and switch to G and strike it once? And if I am supposed to strike the chords continuously, do I need to strum in a certain manner, or any Down Up progression would do? Also, how many down ups are a standard, i.e. most of the places where I've gone reading about this, have strumming patterns such as DUDUDUDU or DUDUxUDU (where x denotes not striking the strings). So I have come to assume that strumming patterns comprise of 8 Down Up combinations. Am I correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the person providing the chart shud put the chord exactly on top the place where it starts to play. but it isnt always done. so better use your ear training and find out yourself where the chords change.

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

when i was about to read ur post i thot u dunoo wot chords mean..but thank god! :)
    u would find very few such posts where it would be indicated where exactly the chord needs to be switched so as..harry said u need some ear training

listen to the song uL find it out where the note is changing i guess..in this song Am is played thruout till dil ko part..u can figure that out easily by listening to this song..and most of all..u need2 practise the more time u spend wid ur guitar ..more readily uL grab such things :) so keep workin..all the best!!

tahda!!

4. deviated

deviated New Member

Thank you both sayanakaharry and newbie_vini for your replies. Your advices are certainly valuable for a beginner such as me. However, some of my questions still remain unanswered, and I hope somebody would be able to help.

5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

there is no standard du strumming pattern..if im getting u right..they vary majorly there can almost be infinite..heehe..u can make em urself or as its in the song
    duddud
    dududu
    uduudd
    duduud

they can just go on n on in diff. patterns/order

tahda!!

6. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

I had the same question when I started playing chords. I started with striking the given chord just once and sing along with it till its time to strike the second chord. Initially its very important that you get the position right where you have to change the chord.

You can sing the complete song with this way and if your chord trasitioning timings are perfect then song will sound great as well.

So now question is that should we just be silent with respect to guitar in between the two chord transitions? And answer lies in strumming pattern. You dont becom silent but play the same chord in some pattern. For this pattern there is NO hard core rule. You find out how much time is available, in what different ways you can strike and with which speed you should strike.

So recipe of strumming is...

1. Strokes :: up stroke(U), down stroke(D) and rest.
    2. Patterns :: singlet (single stroke), doublet(two strokes, UU,UD,DD), triplet(three strokes) and fourlet(four strokes). There are all possible strokes format including rest inbetween
    3. Beat :: You mix above 2 in appropriate manner and strumming is ready.

So sample strumming pattern could be...

[down up rest up] [up rest up]

Try to create your own strumming patterns and listen to the songs with different beats (extream fast and extream slow). It will give you some idea on what strumming pattern you should use.

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

usaully - u can listne to the eat for thee strummnig pattern.

the eat for chura liya line if i remember right is
    ta-na...na-na..na
    na-na..na-na..na (thats just how it sounds - the whole thing i.e. both liens of the eat = chura liya hai tum ne jo dil ko)

so that can be played as:
    D -U....D-D...U

or

D -U.....D-U...D

not sure - it mgiht even be something else - lisnte and try both of these out - the dots indicate a pause.

8. pompeii

pompeii New Member

hi

HI, i would sincerely appreciate if any one could give me ta guitar tab cords for
    THE HINDI SONG, AHJEEB DASTA HAI YE,KAHA SHURU KAHA KATAM,YE MANZILEY HAI KHOUN SEA , AND PLEASE IF YOU CAN ,PUT THE CORDS AT THE RIGHT PLACE ,SO I CAN TRY AND SING AND PLAY AT THE SAME TIME, AND I THANK YOU SO MUCH,RGDS.

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

uh.... hi....

try posting a request in the hindi tabsforum... theres a specific way to do it - read the guideline in that forum...

10. pompeii

pompeii New Member

sory 4 late rply, n ha pls forward me the complete song with the cords n i will guide u n
    also there r a lot of songs that r played on 3/4 beat n also there r a lot of songs played on 4/4 beats , so on the 3/4 beat ,the timing of the strum is: 1 + 2+ 3 {3+} ,like wise the timing of the 4/4 beat is: 1+ 2+ 3+ 4 {4+], as u can c that there is a a differance in the way i hav written the 3+ n the 4+ coz it wil b easy 4 me to to u easily 4 the near feature but 4 the moment practice down strum on 3/4 beat n 4/4, n do not stop strumin when u change from 1 cord 2 the other n so it wil b like tis, 1+2+3 {3+} ,then u change to the nex cord, now do ta same wit ta 4/4 beat n make a habit of pratice at least 30 mins per day n ha pls tel me if u r improvin on yr ability compared 2 s from 2 day n ha try n sing along s u play so that u can feel the perfection of ta rythm of ta song, rgds, pompeii

11. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

This is a good question as I've wondered the same myself.