raagas and freshers

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by amogh_war, Oct 3, 2006.

1. amogh_war

amogh_war New Member

hi all
    saw a very intersting thread on raagas.want to add something new so started a new thread.
    i guess for beginers like me knowledge of the constituent notes of each raaga is of immense value. i realised the importance of this when i saw that each raaga strictly follows a unique ascent and descent pattern, so when you try to play a song note for note observe which pattern the song is following...if you recognise the pattern then you are home and dry because for the rest of the song you dont have to search for the notes...they will be from the list of notes for raaga .eg i tried out a few and these were the results:
    shankara bharanam: the National Anthem,Ajeeb Daastaan hai yeh,main koi aisa geet gaaon,
    nata bhairavi:chura liya,neele neele ambar pe,roj shaam aati thi
    actually i think most of the hindi film music is in shankara bharanam,natabhairavi and keeravaani
    so knowing a raaga will make it easier for you to play a song.
    this is just a beginers analysis...comments invited from the gurus to show the leading light

happy guitaring...

2. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

What in the World Is Raaga Dude?

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ It is kinda like hindustani classical equivalent of western music scales.

4. amoghkabe

amoghkabe New Member

Heres what id found on the net, hope its useful

Raag is neither a scale, nor a mode. It is, however, a scientific, precise, subtle, and aesthetic melodic form with its own peculiar ascending and descending movement which consists of either a full octave, or a series of five or six notes. An omission of a jarring or dissonant note, or an emphasis on a particular note, or the transition from one note to another, and the use of microtones along with other subtleties, distinguish one raag from the other.

Raag has its own principal mood such as tranquillity, devotion, eroticism, loneliness, pathos, heroism, etc. Each raag is associated, according to its mood, with a particular time of the day, night or a season. Improvization is an essential feature of Indian music, depending upon the imagination and the creativity of an artist; a great artist can communicate and instill in his listener the mood of the raag.

- from some site Raagabase (https://www.swarganga.org/articles/icmconcepts/icm6.php)