Quick question to those with a tremolo system

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by wheelzkidd, Jan 13, 2008.

1. wheelzkidd

wheelzkidd New Member

My action on the Ibanez GRG170DX was quite low that the first fret on the high E sounded like the second fret.. so instead of adjusting the truss rod.. i increased the height of my tremolo bridge system.. although it was quite successful in increasing the action.. plz tell me if it will have any adverse effects in the long run..

ROCK ON

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Did you rise the whole bridge or just the action of the E string??

3. wheelzkidd

wheelzkidd New Member

can u just change the action on the E string..??? i raised the whole bridge..

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Sure you can...the term you are looking for is action...you can finds lots of pages on this ....

5. aTalwar

aTalwar New Member

Action is a personal preference and no it wont have any adverse effects.
    it all about style and finding your comfort spot.

i think you have floating tremolo and your entire bridge will move up or down and single string can't be adjusted

don't fidde with thee truss rod though. take it to a good tech and let em handle it if you think your neck is warped.

6. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

if u have to raise the action too high because of the buzz ..then maybe u should visit a tech because only adjusting the truss rod will then solve the problem.

also check that your bridge is balanced...unbalanced bridge causes detuning and also changes the action .

7. DagMX

DagMX New Member

to check if your truss rod needs adjustment, do the following:
    Press down the first and last fret on a string and see how far the string is from the 7th fret. it should just about be touching. If its pressed close or is high off it, then the truss rod needs adjustment.

It';s also possible that your first fret has worn down, making it lower than the 2nd fret. ideally, if the neck is fine, all frets should be the same size or smaller than the one before it.

Also check your intonation. it may be off. Take it into a store and make them take a good look at it to find whats wrong.

8. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

^^nice...that was too much cure for a small disease