Query: staff notations!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by vini, Mar 15, 2005.

1. vini

vini Repeat Offender

staff notations really freak me out..my sir wants me 2 gain expertise in it..although i've learned the mnemonics used in notations> Every Good Boy Does Fine & FACE..still i take atleast 2 minutes to get whats on one bar and then play it..further time consuming...

i wanna know..if derz anyway i cud be a quickie..and play instantly the moment i see the notations..any tricks to get the hang ..any tips? i've tried practising..but i find em oh so boring..i cant even play along any song/music in class wid other students :eek::

wot2do? help,na!

tahda!

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

keyword is " Practise " , since you know the notes - you just need to practise them ...

even i dun know to read the standard notes .... same reason " dun have the patience to do so "

3. Liquid

Liquid New Member

man this is one of those where U HAVE TO PRACTICE....and heres my advice..learn em good...or ur guitar lessons will be a total waste...

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

uh..okay! thanx :|

tahda!!

5. Bala

Bala New Member

Staff Notation

Vini your teacher is right. U gotta learn them. Definitly it is boring at first. It is easier than trying 2 learn Greek or Russian. I also had these same feelings. But I kept at it. Took me about 3 months 2 break the ice. Even Passed the Grade 2 exam conducted by Trinity College of London on Music theory with D. I have a very long way go still. So I m sure u can do it. Just keep at it and all the very best. U will learn 2 love it. Try some sw like finale

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

hmm, when did you start these classes?

I haven't given any exams but I'm going to be giving my grade 4 exam sometimes around October this year from the same College.

It takes some time to come....it's awful in the beginning but if you can just remember the FACE thing, the rest of it becomes easier.

7. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

I learnt it pretty fast, but reading the treble and bass cleffs together was more of a toughie (for playing the piano). And as I haven't practiced since forever, I'm gonna have to get used to it all over again... :(

Besides, I haven't moved on to the "difficult" songs on the piano, so don't know :(

8. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

i shall give u the advice u gave me(i am still having trouble)......i guess the only way to do it is to change our attitude towards it......itz damn boring...but then, it is a part of being a musician.....it is important.....
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=17359

9. Bala

Bala New Member

@bjr
    Well That was 2 years back. I learnt Classical Guitar from DSM for bout a year. A kind teacher called Mr Jaspal Singh took me through the rut. Well all the very best for your grade 4

10. mr singh

mr singh New Member

jaspal singh eh??? eh he my dad, lol jus kiddin... the best way 2 learn staff notation is from the beggining. if u learn scales, it can make it easier 2 know wht note is where e.g. low C is played on 5th string third fret, and appears a the note on the first ledger line added to the bottom of the staff.
    then, keep practicing/ practising (not sure which 1, ;) so i put both),
    also try doin simple sight reading, or u can also buy flash cards with notes on them, which although sound stupid can help 2 learn the notes on staff notation

11. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@bala
    thanx for those comforting words..but being an amateur guitarist..i've almost dropped the idea of learning them. but would defnitely want to have a hand at them once more before completely giving up. have loads of them in Mel Bay books.

Congrats for passing ur grade 2...way to go man!!!

12. mr singh

mr singh New Member

gud luk 2 everyone whos got gradings, i got my grade six comin up in july i think, :(... not really lookin 4wrd 2 it 2 much.

13. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

one thing that helps immensely is fiddling around with sequencing software that use stave notation. i learnt the basics of stave notations solely from fiddling around with cakewalk when i was sequencing the backing tracks for some songs. later i could apply that knowledge to the guitar. see if it helps. lotsa software use stave for sequencing; Cakewalk, Finale, Harmony & Melody Assistant etc.

14. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

:shock:

it's been almost a year :shock: :shock:

i expected u to come in here n say "oh, i can read it easily now :)"

:shock:

15. zing

zing Machine Head

practicing = US English
    practising = UK English

16. mr singh

mr singh New Member