Pro's Suggestion for a Practice amp with a CLEAN Clean Channel

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by shubhamAT, Apr 9, 2012.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Yes, that will give you a more "genuine sounding" tone.

You know that tweeter's axis should lie close to your ears.
    The 3.5kHz component is the loudest and the MOST important for tone shaping.
    Also, it is pretty directional - so slanted upwards stage monitors are the best for listening to yourself.

EDIT: OOPS: I am sure they contain only one woofer, and no tweeter.
    Nevertheless, even woofer can try to reproduce high end (at least the high mid range that I mentioned)
    This spectrum is pretty directional (and its gets even more up the spectrum)

2. wylder

wylder Member

I have used the Cube 80 and a pair of active/powered wedge monitors(not sure of the model number) in our corporate jam room for both keys and guitar. Both were pretty transparent and had plenty of volume to keep up with a metal drummer on roids.

I guess the difference between them was that the monitor had a tweeter built in while the Cube 80 had a reverb tank. Also, the cube has more input options. I personally don't think the wattage is ever going to be an issue but I think the wedge had more wattage. Then again, the cube might be lighter and more portable. Also, if you decide to sell them later on, a cube might be easier to find buyers for.

Check up the prices of both and take a call. Also, since you plan to use it with a processor, you could look at saving up to upgrade to a pair of amps over time for stereo...

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Good monitors are expensive....

4. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Is tweeter essential for the perfect sounding tone ? If i pick a Cube it won't have one. Monitors too don't have one and i could not find any that was in my budget. I think i should either pick the Cube or go for a small PA system with a cab. BTW what does it mean to have a "flat frequency response" ?

EDIT: Looks like these may be a good fit:
    https://bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifier...ub-guitar-amplifier-30w-kickback-cabinet.html
    https://bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifier...2w-acoustic-guitar-amplifier-with-chorus.html

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Not really required.
    In fact the preferred distorted guitar sound is through woofers - so that bass and low mid range growls whereas the high end which cannot be reproduced well without tweeters is anyway reduced. (and the more of high end will just add "harshness" and sizzle)

Flat frequency response = if you draw a graph of dB out vs frequency fed - the graph is a flat horizontal line. This means you feed any frequency to the speaker - it will output the same volume.

6. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Ok. Thanks.

7. wylder

wylder Member

I think you missed the constant input power... Basically the graph of Output Sound Pressure Level(dB) vs Freq (Hz) for a signal with the same input signal power of say 1W. Something like this: Classic - Vintage 30 - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

Most guitar speakers are full range. This means they are designed to give decent output over the entire audible spectrum. For most guitar tones the tweeter will not make a difference unless you use something like a plate reverb where a lot of the shimmer at the very top will be more defined with the tweeter.

If you are using a processor that you intend to connect to the mixing board directly, you would want your sound to be as uncolored as possible. You won't get the heavy bass tone that you set using your woofer on the main PA.

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

9. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Thanks Wylder for that info. @rickkkyrich: That discussion is about removing the chorus and delay effects from the channel. When you press one of the 4 buttons on the amp it loads the settings as they were when you saved them, overriding any current settings.

In my case if i plugin the guitar to the amp through guitar input v/s cd/mp3 input there is a noticeable difference. Funnily even the drive knob changes the sound on Clean channel.

I think i may go for Cube80 or with a very high probability a Laney AH50 as soon as the Line6 finds a new home.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

____Right on_____

11. deepsal

deepsal New Member

get either the be3 brat 2 and ask ansar to add an effects loop to it and plug your g3 into the effects return and ply that way it wont colour your tone it will make it warm
    or get the alto professional ts112a/ts115a they are great transparent monitors the 112a costs 17.5k in india had intended to get it along with the axe fx but the whole thing went down the drain :( so..

12. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Thanks deepal. I will have a look at these. BTW i found KICK15 to be interesting. Do you have any idea about it ?

13. deepsal

deepsal New Member

14. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Finally i was able to find another user for my Line6 Amp. I am planning to get a Laney AH-50 now. Has anyone demoed or owned this model?

15. henrynh

henrynh New Member

You like the sound of the G3 through headphones? Get a keyboard amp. It's FRFR(Full Range Flat Response), that is what you need to amplify the zoom G3 without colouration from another guitar speaker or guitar preamp. Peavey or Roland (both make reliable stuff) would be the brands to look into for keyboard amps. The G3 is small & works on batteries too, take it with you to any nearby musical instruments store & ask to try out some amps(both guitar & keyboard amps). Acoustic guitar amps won't work. Powered Speakers would work as well, whichever is cheap & loud for your needs. Tech 21 PE 60's are expensive otherwise I'd recommend those over the above.
    In any case, avoid getting a guitar amp to amplify the zoom's modeling section, unless you are buying the guitar amp as a permanent replacement for the L6 Spider.

16. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Thanks henyrh. I was too looking at the Keyboard-Amps/Powered-Speakers. I liked the Roland KC Series but they are bit out of budget. As i learned with the L6 that amp/cab models sound way different than they do on headphones. Whenever playing a distorted tone on G3 i use NoiseReducer->Pedal->AmpModel(with cab) apart from this i have a pitch shifter ahead of G3 and will be adding a Wah before it so i really need a transparent amp. I am pretty much finalized on AH-50 now since it has 2 inputs (one for MP3) , Reverb + a DI Out. Just what i need with the added bonus that i can kick it back and use it like a wedge monitor.

17. henrynh

henrynh New Member

The AH50 is discontinued i think, can't find it under current Laney products. Do try the G3 through it though before purchasing one. The reverb on those aren't the kind the G3 has but okay at best. Have fun.

18. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Ya AH50 is discontinued but still in stock with Furtados. AH40 is the smallest in AudioHub series now.

19. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

There is no specific time as such for changing tubes, i mean generally preamp tubes may last for years in a stretch with high or medium usage, Power tubes such as 6V6's also last plenty of years and may even outrun the person using it. When to change a tube depends on various factors.

Some of the factors that i know of are below.
    1) When your amp generates uncontrollable high pitch noise or say squealing.....(Also known as microphonics or microphonic tube), this can happen any time, even when a tube is right out of the box.
    2) Even when you raise the volume to 10, you still feel that the overall output has gone down considerably, this is when a tube needs to be looked at and replaced.
    3) Loss of gain, or drive also means a faulty or worn out tube and needs replacement.
    4) The tube colour changes from orange, to blue or purple also is a sign to replace it, it may work fine but it at the end of its life. and replacement is recommended.
    5) Known settings on the amp suddenly has a lot of hum or noise to it, Replace the tubes.
    6) When you look at the tube physically, it does not appear transparent and has a milky or cloudy appearance to it, Time to change the tubes.

Hope this helps.....there are many more signs when a tube needs replacement.....

20. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member