Processor help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ambush, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I have a max budget of Rs 5000

i think the only ones i can afford are the RP50 and the Zoom 505II

I tried the Rp50 but i didnt like it, it was giving too much noise i tried a Korg processor it was giving much better sound but too expensive
    I cant really try out the Zoom because its not available here and i may need to ship it from bajaao or ebay.

What i need to know is will the Zoom give more clearer tone than the Rp50.

Or should i get the KORG AX1G (is it really in my price range)

2. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

sure thing. you can also get a wider range of tones and better playability.

3. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

hey how much dus a korg AX1G cost??

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dont buy Ax1G, if you never heard it before.

Sound quality wise Ax100G, Ax1000G and AX1500G are very comparable.
    Ax1G was really plasticy sounding (to my ears).

Ax10G (new released) is much better than Ax1G.

Infact take a look at Zoom G2 (if possible)

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

The problem i have with Zoom is its not available here and i have to get it from Bajaao.com
    Any feedback abt this site will be appreciated
    I am not so confident about buying online

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Bajaao.com is pretty decent to get your merchandise from.

I got my Tech21 TRI-AC Sansamp Overdrive pedal. Took some time coz this thing is not availalble even in Singapoer and HongKong :cry1: and was not in stock with the Bajaao.

But processors are different story, they are always available.

Am sure yours will be delivered within 1 week.
    Check with the Bajao guy on phone. PM if you want his phone number.

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

AX 1G sounds dead...Keep away...AX10G is undead....Keep away too...Zoom G2 is pretty decent but I am not sure if you with get it within 5K. I'd always suggest Digitech RP80. If you know how to use it, it can get you nice tones..

8. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Zoom G2 is available for 4.5 k in Shalu Music in Bombay.It's currently lying around at my house..definitely better than 505 or AX1G. I could dial up some breaking-up sounds where it distorted if you pick harder etc. High gain sounds sounded digital though. Also, it has an intelligent ptich shifter which is very nice.

9. ronnieanand

WOW!!!! If Zoom GT2 is 4.5K, then look no further. That's really neat.

10. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

was just wondering if Bajaao stocks the zoom G7.1ut or the zoom G9.2tt and if they do how much will these cost.

Sounds quite appealing.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ron: the good processor from Zoom are the G7 and G9 ones.

Chintan: nope. They dont stockj these ones. However, I think if you talk to them, they might bring it for you (but you need to pay in advance)

96kHz sampling rate sounds like a marketing bullshit. Most of the hardware digital mixers offer 48kHz sampling rate.

Your audio sensory perception is from 15 Hz to 24kHz - let say roughly 24kHz bandwidth.

Nyquist sampling theorem says that you need to sample a signal at twice its frequency to have all the information about the signal.

That way 48kHz sampling is all we need to reproduce the signal. Anything more than that is a waste in either of the two ways:
    1. if 96kHz is used to sample 24kHz signal bandwidth, you are wasting the computational power, since no additional info is generated while increasing the sampling more than the Nyquist rate.
    2. if the 96kHz is used to sample a 48kHz bandwidth signal, it is again a waste, since your ears cannot hear or even perceive anything more than 24kHz. Even the skin cannot feel higher frequencies.

12. chintan9

I didnt understand a word of what you said. Anyways the tube option of the zoom sounds killer. The reviews for these pedals are also pretty good.

13. ronnieanand

The Tube Option for these processors are total fart. Total marketting bull shit. Unless the tube is operated at high voltates and operated at saturation levels it doesn't make much sense. There are tons of such pedals which are a farce. This Zoom operates at 12V. And you are going to have the plate voltage as 12V or even if you boost it internally it would be operating at 24V. It's not even a 12-0-12 supply. The biasing voltage is about 6.3V and normally it operated at excess of 350V, normally the plate voltages are at about 420V. Rather you can pickup a Line6 Modeller than believe some Tube Distortion Shit like this. With such low plate voltage, the tube performs like shit and dont expect the tube to do much except slightly distort the tone. Usually for such tube pedals, they actually use a Solid State Distortion circuitry to get the actual gain and keep the tube for fancy. Infact they even keep an orange LED below the tube to make you think it's the tube that's glowing. What a joke....

14. chintan9

hehe actually i was chatting with this chap(Scali) who bought the Pod Xt live and then sold it within a few days after playing on the zoom G9. He also posted this recording of his with the Zoom G9(straight into the line in jack) and it F.uckin owned every stupid processor sound sample around. Even the editorial reviews say that Zoom has not only outdone itself but has set a benchmark for the other companies with the Zoom G7 and G9 processors.

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=436524&songID=3975458

(the song is called shredder's delight)

OH and that "orange LED below the tube" thingy was actually a fraud by Behringer. I dont really think any other company would be stupid enough to adopt such techniques after the legal problems that Behringer issue brought up. I dont really care about the technical feasability of the entire tube thing but let the tone speak for itself.

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Sounds pretty convincing.

If you know, Tone-Bone pedals (supposed to be very warm sounding) have one or two tubes. However all the tone comes from their solid state circuitry.
    The tubes are in the initial stages and only provide a sort of EQing whil amplification of the signal. (Tubes are supposed to increase the presence and mids component).

Whatever it is, tubes operated at well below their saturation stage cannot clip the signal and produce the strong overdrive or distortion that we all look for.

16. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

Go for the Zoom 505II anyday. I've got a bunch of analog pedals but still can't stop using the zoom in the mix to fine tune the sound. I mainly use it to tone down the sound from my digitech bad monkey and totally spaced out effects if i increase delay on the echohead and the zoom to full.

Zoom is cool!

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude!
    Recording sounds really cool.

However, that recording has so hi-gain tone with compression that you cannot actually make out whether the distortion is from the tube or solid state. (The good presence of "presence" in the recording does show the effect of tube though)

Well the orange LED thingie is done by Rocktron also. :LOL:

18. chintan9

Yup thats almost how the tubes work even in the Zoom G7 and G9 units. It operates in the initial stages and there are two knobs namely TUBE control and BOOST control that may be turned off or on as and when necessary. The users state that a clean tone is distorted merely by cranking these tube and boost knobs.

The manual also clearly states that the intensity of the distortion achieved also depends on the guitar and pickups used.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

20. chintan9

yes thats exactly how i felt. The chap was shocked too coz he's been trying for years to nail that lead tone and the Zoom G9 just simply laid it on a platter for him.