problems with audacity!!!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by ribhuguitarist, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ribhuguitarist

ribhuguitarist New Member

Hey guys im all new to audacity......
    i have a problem recording songs. My vocals are not as clear as my guitar. I use a standard mike and also im unable to overwrite my voice in audacity. in overwriting the voice is more clear than my guitar...........
    Please HELP

2. jozko

jozko Banned

Hi ribhu
    where do u position ur mic?

what do u mean by overwriting voice?
    You may record guitar on one track first and later vocal on another track. sync might be affected then.
    rgds

3. ribhuguitarist

ya by overwriting I mean that when i record first track with guitar rythm only and then secong track with vocals only then in that second track the guitar sound recorded( due to first track) sounds very low when i mute the first track....................................
    So i want to ask that how can i improve both guitar sound and my vocals sound????????
    Or if i have two tracks can i mingle them into one track??????? and how????????

4. jozko

jozko Banned

I think in your case, u should select
    Mic as source (i wonder if u are using stero or mono mix as recording source. or you maybe using speakers, use headphones instead so that there is no feedback during second recording)

1 record rythm in one channel
    2. record vocals in second channel (they don't get mixed with guitar in first channel if source is mic and headphones used. of course u can mix too if u desire)

so u get two channels one just rythm alone and one vocal alone. u can play and hear them together. adjust amplification levels in both separately till u r satisfied

If you export audio as mono mp3, tracks get merged, i think. i donno other options to directly merge tracks but it is possible and should be there. You will get help here, just wait, happy recording, rgds

5. jozko

jozko Banned

btw why don't u just record vocals and guitar together first time itself? Isn't that better practice to get timing and all better than splitting?

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, elaborate further.
    Suppose you need to record a song where you gotta: sing, play the rhythm on the guitar, as well as play the leads on teh guitar (3 things), what exact steps do you take?

7. ribhuguitarist

Hey jozko!!!
    First lemme thank You for ur tips!!!! Thanks
    Ya i tried to record it all together ( vocals and rythm) but again the problem is that guitar sounds good as i keep the mike near to it and my vocals are fainted coz mike is away from my mouth!!!!!!!!!!
    Shall i use 2 mikes or suggest me some other way out.........
    And one more thing when i use mono mix or stereo mix again noise disturbances are there which are not cleared away.......................
    So again in dilemma......... HELP!!

8. ribhuguitarist

Hi Alpha1!!!
    For recording for now i just have one mike and as i told Jozko just keep my mike near the guitar but vocals get fainted.................
    Rythm and lead is not a problem but vocals with these two is surely a problem for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tried to mix two channels one with vocals and other with rythm. But again strange disturbances are there................

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yes. What Joz mentioned is the right way to go.

Audacity is a multi-track recorder. And you should use that feature.
    Like in the case I mentioned. What you should ideally do is:
    1. Record the guitar rhythms. Place teh microphone very near to your guitar's soundhole, while recording guitar.
    2. This will be track 1.
    3. Record your vocals on track 2, by putting picrophone near your mouth. When you record the track 2, you will see that track 1 automatically plays. This will help you in singing in time.
    4. Record leads as track 3.
    5. Replay all the tracks and check if the timings are right.

I hope you are taking teh same route.

BTW you are talking about strange noise.
    Is it static sort of noise?

Do on thing.
    Make a small recording. Upload it somewhere.
    That will ilustrate the problem much better than you putting it in words.

10. jozko

jozko Banned

ribhu, Scroll down and check Home Studio section at https://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/index.php

I donno why u use mono-mix or stereo mix for this case.
    just select mic as source, position mic at optimal position from guitar and record one track. You can adjust mic input levels.
    Then position mic optimally from lips, easy if u are using headset type. Here also u can adjust input levels. I think u r not using headser type.

My acoustc has got pickups so i don't go through these problems :)

To records together, i think the link will guide u, that's written by pro. That should be a good source.
    Have a nice time recording and post ur work here, cheers

11. jozko

jozko Banned

lol interesting alpha. both posts at same time, am sorry.

@rib Noise in channel could be due to damaged condensor mic, although other things can add. i hope the link will be valuable

@alph, dude i read mic near where neck meets guitar body is best position to capture acoustic sound than near or infront of sound hole. I use line out usually so not sure. I hope link helps him

12. ribhuguitarist

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!
    Surely will post a song as soon as posible!!!
    This valuable talks will definately help me..........
    Thanks a lot

13. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

You've adjusted the mic volume haven't u??? There's a little slider below the control buttons with a mic icon on it (also check in the volume control). If thats not the problem, then try it with a new mic.

14. shivi0401

shivi0401 New Member

Guys ..well almost i have the same sort of problems..and the volume level obtained by audacity is too low...so everytime i gotto amplify the wave which amplifies the noise..if i try to reduce the hiss level to cut down on the noise, the guitaring gets blunted ..but all said n done , id endorse recording of the singing and the rhythm together and mixing only if a 3rd lead is required..coz after all its the feel while playin tht matters than the recording ..isnt it :) ?

15. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

click the volume icon on taskbar>go to..Option>properties >select recording properties> click ok> click advanced button below microphone>check the radio button named mic boost...........

Ur problem iz gone :)