Problems While Playing Guitar...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Iraqita_EP, May 1, 2006.

1. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

Hey...i just wanted to ask..i practice chromatins everyday for about 15 min...but wenever i try to play lead on the guitar as in a song..the my thumb comes above the neck wen its not supposed to...wen im doing chromatins...wenever i put my pinky finger on the 4th fret..the same thing happens..any idea wat i shud do to improve????

2. mr singh

mr singh New Member

what are chromatins, is it a mis-spell of chromatics? (sorry if i sound sarcastic, i actually am not sure if chromatins is actually another thing)
    are you saying that when you play guitar, your thumb tends to peep over the top of the neck and 6th string...
    i cant think of any proper immediate remedy other than 2 sellotape itthere or something while you just practice playing with your hand in one fixed fret position, e.g. 5th position... also start playing with your thumb lower down the neck vertically

3. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

is there any hard and fast rule that your thumb can NOT peep over the neck? the answer is; it depends on the GRIP you are using. in the classical grip, the thumb always remains around the middle portion of the back of the neck. in the baseball bat style grip, the thumb always peeps. most players mix and match these style to suit their needs. so i think, dont worry about whether your thumb's peeping, and concentrate on playing.

4. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i cna play but my teacher says it shud not peep..the problem is wenever i go to the 4th fret on the 6th,5th and 4th string using the pinky finger my thumb goes sideways...

5. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

...on the back of the neck

6. vedder

vedder New Member

The reason why most guitar teachers and books suggest that the thumb should not peep over the neck is because it prevents you from stretching your fingers too wide across the fretboard...you'll find it difficult to stretch over more than 4-5 frets if your thumb peeps over the neck completely. If you want to span 6-7 frets between your index and pinky then your thumb should be somewhere near the middle of the back of the neck.

I think you're problem is that you're fingers are not habituated to stretching over 4 frets with one finger on each fret, which is why when you try to place your pinky on the 4th fret, your thumb moves. You need to keep practicing, try some stretching exercises (you'll find them on this forum) and try to keep your thumb fixed in in the middle of the backside of the neck. Your pinky will gain some strength with these and you should get over the problem in some time.

But as Sayanakaharry has said, different players use different styles of playing. I have a Steve Vai video in which his thumb peeps over the neck for almost 50% of the time he plays...it depends upon your style...so dont really bother too much about it and keep practicing.

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Dude, there is nothing wrong with the thumb comin on top. Chill.

Still if you wanna do as your teacher tell you (the thumb CANNOT come on top of the guitar).... then you can try what i do to get out of bad habits (no guarantee that it would work though!)

Try going slowly and making sure with each note that the thumb is in place. Just stop the chromatics when the thumb goes where it should not, and restart. Follow this strictly and there will come a time soon, when you would just not want to do the same sh** all over again and out of sheer will to finish it and F*** it, your mind would subconsiocusly not allow the thumb to go into the "over the top" position. Try it! Might work. Patience and diligence is the key!!! Good luck.

8. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

thanx guys

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

One small but very imp question:

What is your stance while playing?

That is:
    If you play acoustic, do you hold it classical style or blues style?

If you play electric, where do you hang the guitar - what level does the neck (say 12th fret) usually come? (Shoulders, Chest, Waist, Hips, Legs)

10. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i think i play blues style since i dun pick the strings wid my fingers....while playing electric the 12th fret is generally right near the end of the rib cage

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

*is speechless*

/walks away from thread.

12. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^^^yea i no...i dunno wich style i play

13. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i just play

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Actually I dunno whether you call it blues style or waht - but when the waist of your acoustic guitar sits on your right lap, it is that.

Classical posture is when you keep the ass of guitar between your legs and touch the waist to your left thigh. The neck makes approx 45 degree angle.

When you play in classical posture, you will find that your thumb will naturally rest behind the middle of the neck.

While standing and playing, if you hang your guitar super low - 12th fret reachign your waist or hips, your hand will be forced to "hold" the guitar - thus your thumb will come up on fretboard.

"Wear" the guitar high, so that 12th fret comes at your chest/breast. That way your guitar will be in almost "sitting" Classical position.
    And your thumb will automatically rest behind the middle of neck.

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

16. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

now while playing fear of the dark...wen i hav to stretch my pinky finger..my thumb sort of turns sideways..shud this happen????

17. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

one should have their thumbs while playing chords or leads just behind the 2nd string(on the back of the neck).....for doing this, u have to bend your wrist....(this may hurt a lot:))
    why?
    it gives a better grip on the fretboard.....try it out yourself.....it u keep your thumb behind the second string, u will be able to keep your hand 1st fret on the 6th string and the 4th fret on the 1st string together.....
    now bring ur thumb up.....above the neck, as is your problem....
    and try to do the same thing.....u wont be able to.....
    so, keeping your thumb behind the 2nd string gives u a much better grip.....and to develop this technique, u have got to practise.this may be a little painful, but u'll get used to it:beer:
    but trust me, it is the right technique.

i suggest that u practise this exercise for developing this technique.
    E-1(1)--------------- 4(4)--2(1)---------------5(4)------------
    a----------------------------------------------
    d----2(2)---------- 3(3)------ 3(2)-----------4(3)-----------------
    g----- 3(3)------2(2)---------- 4(3)-------3(2)--------------------
    b--------------------------------------------------
    e---------4(4)-1(1)---------------5(4)-2(1)-----------------------
    and go on with this pattern......the numbers in the brackets are the fingers u should play them with
    this is known as string skipping(i think)
    and while doing it......make sure u use the technique i have mentioned....thumb before 2nd string and the wrist should be bent......
    hope that helps:beer:

EDIT-forgot to mention one thing....developing a technique or getting rid of a bad one is not at all easy......it will take time....so dont lose hope keep practising

18. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^^^thanx man