Position playing major scales - part 3 (final 2 patterns for major scales)

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by hs07, Mar 3, 2005.

1. hs07

hs07 New Member

PLEASE see my 2 other threads on the first 2 boxes for position playing (I call it 6-2 and 5-4 major scale positions).

They were the easy ones, u put ur hand in position and don't have to move them at all.

Here's two more
    As before NOTE - this is NOT tablature, rather I show the fingers you use on the left hand

6-4 scale
    ---------------

E A D G B E (pinky stretches on the 4th string)
    | 1 1 1 1 1
    | | | | 2 |
    | 3 3 3 | 3
    4 4 | | 4 4
    | | 4 | | |

Starting from 1st position this scale is
    1st pos Ab
    2nd pos A
    7th pos D

5-2 scale
    ---------

E A D G B E (position shift on the B string)
    | | 1 1 | |
    | 2 2 | 1 1
    | | | 3 | |
    | 4 4 4 3 3
    | | | | 4 |

1st pos B
    2ns pos C
    9th pos G

Summary of all 4 box positions for major scales
    ---------------------------------------------
    These are all finger patterns to memorize in one position, move up and down the fretboard and play the exact same pattern to get different scales. I label them with the string they start on and the left hand finger that you start with.
    So, my first thread (see other thread on position playing major scales part 1) was 6-2, my 2nd thread was 5-4 (see thread on position playing major scales - part 2). This thread completes the major scales with 6-4 and 5-2 patterns for major scales.

As I have said in my earlier thread, these are good exercises to build muscle memory for major scales by memorizing just 4 patterns. After u build muscle memory, recognize the root of the scale i.e. which major scale it is. Move it up and down and remember the major scale.

When u see a major chord, instead of strumming, try arpeggiating notes of the corresponding major scale - hit a few notes (not all), vary the timing, do whatever, build a sequence that "sounds" nice.

Finally (and I am just getting to start with this myself), start repeating each note of the scale - this will build fretboard knowledge while also learning scales.

Hope these major scale exercises are useful. Happy scaling (yeah yeah bad pun !).

2. nadish

nadish Active Member

I dont understand this part so leme see ur 1st and 2nd part.

3. hs07

hs07 New Member

Well.....its just differing fingering patterns/box positions for major scales. Idea is to memorize the pattern and then use it to play solos/other accompaniments and finally to actually learn the botes on the fretboard. I label the positions like 6-2 <string # 6, starting left finger # 2 - also the root of the scale). Other major scale positions are 6-4, 5-2, 5-4.

This exerice is to:
    1. Just memorize some basic patterns (4 patterns in all) and move it along the fretboard to "create" various scales.
    2. Change accompaniment - p;ay arpeggios/partial chords or even solos insted of plaiun strumming of chords to create something new.
    3. Start understanding the fretboard itself - in relation to scales. Since u know the patterns (hopefully !) and also know the scale itself, now u can start understanding the notes on the fretboard. For e.g. I am nowadays playing the E-major scale in position 4 (if u don't know position - perhaps u need to go through something more basic b4 reading this). I know that E major scale is E F# G# A B C# D# E (read some other threads about scale theory etc. if u don't know how this works) and also that E-major scale in the 4th position is the pattern denoted by the 5-4 pattern. Whn I play the 5-4 pattern, I also say the notes out loud so that I know now that the 7th fret 5th string (using the 4th finger - pinky - see my 5-4 major scale thread) is an E and the next fingering which is the 1st finger on the 4th string in the 4th fret is an F# and so on....

The fretboard is not easy to memorize (esp. for lead playing - where u play individual notes) - these patterns serve multiple purposes, learn patterns that can be moved up and down the fretboard w/o needing to learn "so many" patterns, then learn the sacles themselves, and finally learn the individual notes on the fretboard and also how to utilize them.

bob-bobby likes this.
  4. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

Hey a good thread but!! you're starting of the wrong way, plus you letting other players do the same , and the way you doing it it you'll definitely not memorize the fretboard finger patterns is a thing of the past!! its 4 when u first started to play guitar and your favorite lick, u want to play, and someone says try this scale its run on these strings.What helps you is "why" is it on these strings the notes the distance between the notes,these are question u ask yourself then you begin to see the notes on the fretboard, I see people post thread on finger patterns, But thats the "wussy" way out!!!!he,he, learn to build them it makes u a better guitarist, check my thread out on BUILDING GUITAR SCALES.

bob-bobby likes this.
  5. hs07

hs07 New Member

To each his own. I don't tell ppl NOT to learn how to build scales (if u see many of my other threads, its a lot about how scales and chords and harmony work etc.). BUT this is a pretty darn good way to get a fingering pattern memorized, start moving it up and down the fretboard and then actually start getting each note of every scale.

I find it pretty useful, maybe u don't and that's ur prerogative. BUT ITS NOT WRONG.

6. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

Hey I never said its wrong probabaly I phrased it wrong sorry 4 that ....as I said good thread.....I played like that for years even good guitarist I know and they will tell u they don't use it no more they build and thats what you should try to attain....as u said to each his own!!!!

7. hs07

hs07 New Member

Makes sense, ppl can become monkeys memorizing patters and not understanding how to build the scale. So, one has to work on that aspect.

8. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

Right on dude!!! you learn more about scales plus chord progression plus you start to momorize the fretboard, but is wise to start running your scales get your ear "tunned" and then start to build.