pls suggest a good electric guitar and where to buy it from in mumbai...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by andy_maxman, Apr 24, 2006.

1. andy_maxman

andy_maxman New Member

looking for a good place to buy an electric guitar in mumbai

i currently own a zoom 505 and a stranger cube 80. i am looking for a nice crunchy rock guitar which would suit the processor and the amp. a marty friedman tone-like guitar would be awesome to have....my budget is around 10k...
    thanks!

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Dont look for a guitar to suit the processor ( at leat not a processor). Bhargavas is a good place. avoid furtados

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

get an ibanex rg370dx

@jocelyn....why not furtados?

4. andy_maxman

andy_maxman New Member

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

For Marty Friedman kind of tone the first thing is to get a Marshall stack (Any of the JCM's should bring you reasonably close). :p:
    Everythign else is secondary.

For 10K budget, I guess extreme low end Ibanez are available in India.
    Check out Bajaao.com. They have some models available for 9K.

b.t.w can you tell what is the tone of Marty Friedman's guitar?

6. andy_maxman

andy_maxman New Member

thanks pal...

what i was trying to get at was ....some nice crispy staccato guitaring....like in symphony of destruction...

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

AAAHHH!!
    Man, in Megadeth, he uses far too much distortion.
    The main recipe for that tone is Amps.

Huge tube amps, overdriven to their core.
    EQed to scoop all the possible mids.

Abay in that case the guitar doesnt play much role in tone.

You should pay more attention to pickups for tone. Especially the stacatto playing part.

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Megadeth has a pretty middy tone comparatively... Only in a few songs, they have scooped mids like Holy War, etc....Marty Friedman uses two different tone settings for Rhythm and Solo. His solo tone has a pronounced mids which make it sound sweet. I am kinda sure that he uses a tube screamer as his solo boost.

9. andy_maxman

andy_maxman New Member

sure enough pal...thanks for the info...

so what do you recommend...which guitar should i go for...pls chk the links above...i am a newbie into this buying thing....i am getting inclined towards the ibanez models -
    which one of these should i go for..

i really liked the look of this one...esp with the sharktooth inlays...
    https://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-grg170dx-electric-guitar-p-157.html?manufacturers_id=23

and this one sounds good too for the pricing...
    https://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-grx20-electric-guitar-p-158.html

and pls do give me pointers on things to watch out for while dealing with bajaao.com....

thanks a ton guys...

hey ronnie,
    how long you been there in b'lore...? you playing for a band?

i became a metal freak when i moved to blore in '92...was introduced to the guitar by a friend of mine...and then wow! loved it instantly...

those were the days of crimson storm, warden, z-axis....they all truly rocked...i remember jumping backstage hugging and greeting Allwyn Fernandes of Warden....they really used to freak on Megadeth...

its been 6 long years now and i want to get back to it...hence i want to get a good one which has been a dream of mine for so long...

long live rock and roll!!!

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Middy tone is only there in Rust in Peace.
    The consequent albums have seen a gradual reduction in Mids.

Check Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia.
    Dont remember Cryptic Writing and Risk.
    The tone is insanely thick but still with intense scoopy mids :p:

Agree on the lead tone, it had some mids.

LOL look at what I came across:
    :RollLol:

11. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

You don't know how lucky you are. You have no preconcieved preference. Just take a day off and go to all stores you can. play as many guitars as you can. My advice (if you can call it that) is to forget branding and pick out the best playing/ sounding gat. I've played a cheap GB&A that blew the bolts off an ibanez costing twice as much. Just let your instincts guide you- your guitar will pick you!

I may be crazy but I just don't get what makes a guitar a rock guitar or blues guitar or otherwise, Is it just the look? A guitar is a guitar, You play what you want on it.

The point of my ranting is Let looks be somewhere down in your list of priorities. Go for playability and sound first. Be sure to play them clean when trying them out and all the best...

alpha1 likes this.
  12. andy_maxman

andy_maxman New Member

thanks for the super tip Tallkien....sure will remember that...
    just that i always fancied a killer looking guitar...obviously sound comes first...

the problem i am gonna be facing is....i dont know playing the guitar much at all......i do not know how to check for a good one...

i guess i'll feel silly just going into a store and playing clean C, F, G chords and then hitting on distortion and playing some power chords....

and then to chk the notes on the frets....all i will manage is the scales...

would that be good enough? would that be a giveaway to the seller to pounce on me and tear my wallet to shreds with some cheap gear?

thanks,

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Very well said.
    However the blues/rock/metal bit can be spared.
    Pickups do make a difference among those three genres.

Wood may make a difference in Blues. and sparingly in Rock.
    Am sure it doesnt make any significant difference in Metal (except sustain).

Besides the price of a guitar is more based on marketing than on quality or skill of guitarmaking. Ofcourse the well known brands will fetch more.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Andy Maxman, that is one of the ironies of life:
    Experience comes to you when you stop requiring it.
    When you do require it, you dont have it.

You may take someone who is more experieced along with you. Otherwise, frankly, to a n00b all guitars will sound/feel same.

15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Brilliantly put. When choosing a guitar first of all cheak how it feels in your hands does it balance well and feel good ( I am not talking abouth looking good). Cheak out its tone acousticaly and plugged, do you like it. It s like when you go shopping for clothes do you choose a shirt just becuse it looks nice ? dont you make sure it fits you? Or do you choose a shirt just because its a big brand looks cool but is for a size twice yours ?
    @ talkien true ther is no such thing as ROCK guitar adn POP guitar, but the way a guitar is constructed can suit ceratin styles for example a guitar with a flat fret board is a shrreders dream. Agin the kind of pickups will influence. Body woods too.. for example Basswod works well for Metal, Ash for Blues https://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
    https://www.usacustomguitars.com/neckwoods.html
    The best thing to do is decide the kind of tone you want. TIP for the Marty fried man tone you need mArshalls, and a JB and no FLOYDS ( The MIDDS YOU HEAR ARE FROM THE JB). But thats going to be expensive at least for now. Go in for a guitar that plays well and feels good, you can replace pickups later.

16. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

You know there are a few people who walk the streets with their underwear showing and wearing baggy pants and huge shirts cause its "COOL". The guitar equavalent would be to buy a guitar like a flying V or Explorer just cause your guitar hero plays it.

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ LOL
    I got my RR Flying V coz of that.
    :grin:

Not coz of Randy etc, but coz it looks different.

*double :grin:*

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I am sory but I dont agree all the way with you on that. Ok get a guitar that sounds something like what your guitar hero plays, but make sure you can play it, it should feel good in your hands.

19. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Dude thats exactly what i meant. I just said there are a few people who'd act that way. I'm not condoning it.

20. GeorgeBush

GeorgeBush Banned

as for me ...go for furtados n bhargavas! u can get cool guitars @bharghavas ..but furtados provide good service!