Planning to purchase a guitar, Totally new to guitar world

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by wap4, Mar 23, 2005.

1. wap4

wap4 New Member

Hi guys/gals:

I am planning to purchase a guitar and start learning (possibly by myself/with another friend who learnt guitar for a year). This has been a desire inside me for a long long time, and I think I am going to go ahead and "Just Do It".

I am in Noida/Delhi. Planning to visit a couple of music stores in delhi this weekend - Bhargavs in Daryagunj ; Bharats in CP ; a few other stores in Darya Gunj. (any other suggestions ?).

Another question I had was : For a beginner like me, is it good to get a small-sized guitar - or just go for a full sized one. Any brandnames for beginners (I have been researching this tabs forum for a month and gathered that Givsons and Hobners are good?).

Thanks

wap4

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I suggest that you go for Hobner acoustic,preferably the air-hole type(as opposed to the f-cut)..there is a good f-cut model called hobner-265 for around 2.6k....I personally would not recommend Givson...
    If possible take an experienced guitar player with you..
    Play a few guitars and see which is the most comfortable and best sounding..
    Even after you have selected a particular model..make sure u try out a few pieces and pick up the best sounding one....
    And yeah...go for a full sized one...small sized ones are for small children who wanna start early..heheh :)

3. wap4

wap4 New Member

Hobner - Export

I am now the proud owner of a Hobner export. They did not have Hobner 265. Got it in New Bharat Music Stores - Lajpat Nagar. I remember researching in the forum that the 265 was around 2600/- and the export model was around 2800/- , which was exactly what the shop guy said. I had a friend with me who was also buying a guitar. So we bargained to get both guitars at 2600/- a piece. Got a bag, few pics, and a set of Karuna Strings with it.

Now, I have been trying really hard to practice and get some meaningful sounds out of my guitar. Someone please please help me get through this beginner phase. Can someone point out some simple exercises to get my finger used to the steel strings. Any simple exercises/books recommended will help greatly. I would like to practice atleast about half an hour every day - after I get home from work.

regards

wap4

4. what a guitar +bag +all things for only 2600rs indian
    woooow
    well me i bought my guitar an acoustic one without the bag for abt 3500 indian rs
    :mad:

5. shak

shak Harrr!

depends on the quality of guitar ... the better, the more you pay

6. wap4

wap4 New Member

starting off ..

hey Shahrukh:

I am planning to learn on my own. Any tips what should be my first lessons (website/book?). I want to first get my fingers used to the steel strings. They hurt now. But I love the sound of the guitar so much. I dont mind right now :)

-wap4

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

8. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^Absoutely true.

there is a very famous book which most of the good players recommend (dont remember the name!! sorry!). Well, it cost around 500 bucks (INR).

Think Twice.

oh yeah, try www.wholenote.com too.