Pickup Setting

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by zohaib, Dec 21, 2005.

1. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

Hi IGTians
    can someone tell me abt pickup setting
    like wht happens when they are nearer to string and what when they are not

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Pickups closer to strings = stronger signal at pickups + faster string damping

So the thing is that u will get a "hotter" signal but lower sustain.

B.t.w. keeping the bridge pickup higher will not dampen as much as keeping the neck pickup higher - that is due to mechanics and the location.

3. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Closer the Bridge pickup the better it sounds, good harmonics....

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Yeah exactly what i have done to my guitar's bridge pickups, and i have lowered the neck ones.

5. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Lower than the pickup frame??

6. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

ahan so far the pickups greater the sustain?

7. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

^^^^ The neck pickup not both.. lowering the bridge will screw up your harmonics....

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

d00d

See the strings that u have are made of iron + nickel (+ maybe some other things also) - this is a ferromagnetic material.
    Ferromagnetic material is (in layman's language) the one that gets strongly attracted to a magnet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnet
    https://www.answers.com/topic/ferromagnetism

Now the pickups are nothing but permanent magnets with copper coils on 'em.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_(music)

Damn! I dont have the patience to type the working etc, but the closer you move the pickups to the strings, the more magnetic force will act on the strings, thus damping the oscillations.
    This kills the sustain.

However, the vicinity to the strings also mean that any magnetic field disturbance created by the strings will be stronger and more well received by the copper coils: thus increasing the signal strength. (Thereby also improving the SNR)

The bridge pickup is close to the end of the string, the neck pikcup is near the 24th fret. The magnetic force acting will be the same, but since the neck pikcups exerts the force in the "middle" of the string - it is more effective in damping the string.

hey ScorpionKing I dunno about the pickup frame thing, but the Givson has come with adjustable pikcup height, so I have just sunk it to the max possible.
    That was done because when i used to engage both the pikcups, the sound of neck used to dominate - whereas I wanted bridge more :) (besides there are no individual volume knobs for the pikcups)

hindiRox likes this.
  9. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Reps for alpha1 ^^^^^^^6

10. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

10x alpha
    does it shows much difference in sustain ?
    like if pickups are nearest possible and sustain remains till 1 sec
    for how much time will it remain if they are far enough

11. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ zohaib : Depends on the pickup attributes..

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Naah - not in my case : they are Givson stock ones :rock:.
    I keep the gain (amp or processor) kinda high, so I cannot make out any diff.

and when playing clean - I dont want the sustain. So I never really checked it. :grin:

b.t.w. I have kept my bridge pickups about 2mm away from the strings, neck around 6mm, I still get atleast 6-10s sustain. Play around with the pickups and tell us your experience.

DrSaurabh likes this.
  13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

b.t.w. tanx for the reps thing

14. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

can buzz reduce sustain ?
    liek little buzz for low action

15. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

removing the pick up covers will also give you "hotter" pick ups

16. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ alpha 1 : Is the height of Givson pickup adjustable??

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah,
    In my case there are two screws, on on the either side of the pickups, so I can adjust their height. (hope i got your question right)

Infact I have made the pickups slightly inclined too, making the lower part further away from the strings - so that the higher strings produce less volume. The stock setup used to produce huge volume on e b and g strings - but nothing on D A and E strings - so had to mod a little.

Addendum: I was really skeptical earlier at this experiment of mine, but outof sheer curiosity (c'mon a Rs3K givson is always expendable) and frust with the tone, drove me to doing it.

But in any case it is a harmless activity.

cyclonetrap likes this.
  18. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

reps to alpha 1 ~