Pickup Queries

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Asmodeus, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm... I need to get my bridge humbucker replaced...

Am livin in Mumbai. Recommendations needed for:

1) Whom to contact to get the insallation done
    2) Which pup to go in for

And, list some pups, with the price they are available for...
    Especially the DiMarzio Super Distortion, or any *cough*Imitiation*cough* pups

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

What guitar are you going to put it into, and what kind of sound are you looking for?
    As for choices in India,well...I neednt tell you how limited they are, but Mumbai is still much better than other places.I just saw the Bajaao wesite, they do stock the Evolution, SuperD, PAF Pro and a coupla EMGs.The prices for all Dimarzios are $60 in the US, dunno why these people have different prices for different models.

3. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Lolz... yeah, I've seen those too.
    I am considering the DiMarzio SUper Distortion, but then, I wouldnt wanna buy something off the net.

I intend to put it into my custom guitar, and the sound Im looking for is the NWOBHM sound...

4. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Buy the JB..highly versatile annd used by everyone from Jeff Beck (hence the name) to Megadeth to Opeth:).
    Any idiot can do the install...give it to me and I'll do it for the cost of a meal at Crepe Station:).
    Or the Furtado's guy will do it for you..he stocks them as well.
    BTW buying it from bajaao is completely safe.
    I would personally recommend the PAF Pro..its slightly lower output than the JB but more tone and lets the guitars intrinsic tone through better.

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

DiMarzio Super Distortion is a legendary pickup. Right from zillions of rock bands in the 70s and 80s till Paul Gilbert use Super Distortion. It has a lot of output too and very cool to play Metal. PAF Pro is one of the most awesome pickups. I use it in the neck position and it rocks. It will be great in the Bridge position too...

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

What tone are you looking for? I have a JB and it rocks.. it is very versatile IMO . I dont think there is much of a problem buying a pickup online... I would worry abouth buying a guitar online but not pickup.... Furtados has a few Duncans .. thats what ABHIJITNATH had said a couple of weeks back.... Also a lot would depend on what wood your guitar is made off

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Installation is not difficult if you are confident with a soldring Iron...Most pickup manufacturers will give proper instructions to install them...Just make sure your Iron is not a Soldring GUN. A slodring gun can get too HOT and demagnatize the pickup .. to quote the DUNCAN website "Use a soldering iron and not a soldering gun that has a coil inside because it can demagnetize the magnet in the pickup. Use a rosin core solder and not acid core."

8. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

where do you get the JB pickups, been looking for those.

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^^^^^^^ I had ordered it online... I had to pay a huge bomb for it, for custom clearene... If you are in mumbai.. Furtados has a few ( I think)..
    JB is a nice pickup... many say it is too bright... but it does not sound bright to me....

10. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

@jocelyn - thanks for the info. i basically want to turn my j&d strat ripoff into a jeff beck strat. he uses this weird 2 way non-floyd rose bridge. any idea what that is or where i can get one?

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Jeff beck has not used humbucker for years if not decades.. Yes the JB means JEFF BECK... though Duncan wont say it as Jeff does not endores it..Jeff Beck uses single coil lace sensors on his strats. (rumor has it that he does use duncan alnico pro single coils many many times)
    The bridge on Jeff Becks Strat is the Standard American Strat Tremelo.. that is set so that it floats a bit of the body so that he can pull the bar a bit.... A good replacement tremelo like the Wilkerson or Hipshots ballbearing tremelo will work well.
    You want more info on Jeff Beck and JB vist the Duncan forum.. trust me...
    I have a custom guitar project on the standby... the guitar weill house the JB -JAzz combo with a nonlocking tremelo (probably wilkerson, Hipshots)..

12. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i hav a question.....it may sound stupid......but can we put diff pickups of diff companies on our guitar?????????for eg....if i put a dimarzio humbucker to play metal.....and another brand of pickups wich give me good sound for playing blues and lighter stuff....can it be done???

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

^absolutely..however, if one of them is an active pickup like most EMGs them you might run into probs....

14. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

To ans your Q yes and No....
    Yes: you can put a Dimarzio pickup and a Duncan pickup or ext ext in one guitar. For example the NUNO BETTENCOUT model has a BILL LAWRENCE in the bridge and a DUNCAN 59 in the neck.
    I have heard that even Active and Passive pickups can be mixed but the results are not all that OK.
    The reason I said No is because instaed of putting A PICKUP that is great for metal and a pickup that is good for blues in the same guitar may not turn out all that great. Instaed you can use pickups that are very versatile.
    Dimarzio have some great pickups that are very versatile, so does Duncan