Pick Recommendations

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by perseus, Jul 12, 2009.

1. perseus

perseus New Member

Anything but Ernie Ball. Fine company but these picks suck. Had two break in as many days. And don't anybody give me you're hitting the strings too hard. My arse. Mown through a mountain of Dunlops, never had one tear on a string. Or diminish in size by 50% in less than an hour of playing.

2. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

yea man........ had the same problem with alice picks a few days back........then went and bought dunlop tortex 0.73 's and jim dunlop stubby 1.0/2.0..............( i love stubby's since i used to play bass before i picked up my guitar...........)

3. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

I like the "Big Stubby"
    really awesome!

4. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

I like the "Big Stubby"
    really awesome!

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Medium thin ones.
    They offer enough flexibility while strumming and while holding it at angle, they offer enough rigidity to shred.

6. wylder

wylder Member

Try out Dunlop Jazz III, my favorite pick... its smaller than the average pick and takes some time to get used to... I used to use a 2mm Stubby before because they are nice for fast alternate picking. But the material of the Stubby gives a lot of excess highs. The Jazz III's are a little darker and also really help develop your accuracy. Oh, and so far in abt 2 years of using it, I havn't been able to wear out a single one of them to the point of being unusable. I've lost many of the ones I had only because I'm not very careful with them.
    If you are getting one, make sure you get Jazz III (it has a pointed tip) only and not the Jazz I or Jazz II (rounded tip) which for me is useless.

7. perseus

perseus New Member

Tortex red, jumbo, pick of choice. Can bang the stink out of those things, windmill power chords, don't have to measure hit force, worrying your pick will crap out. They have a different surface texture as well, matte, gives more bite.
    Thanks for the recommendations.