Pedals vs Processors AND/OR Analog vs Digital

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by varunmm4, Apr 1, 2011.

1. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

Man that's a lot of stuff I haven't heard before. I'm looking for an OD & Clean boost (2 in 1 or separate whatever). The jekyll & hyde has sounded the best to me in that respect since I'm a big fan of Visual Sound's route-808 and the J&H has that circuitry built in. Only issue is I want it true bypassed and not buffered since I'll have a lot of buffered bypass units on my board already. Any substitute you can suggest? Or can I mod it to be true bypass? How does one go about doing that?

Also, do you sell?

2. flood

flood New Member

the simplest way to go about it would probably be an external true bypass box comprising of as little as a 3PDT switch and a couple of jacks. i'm pretty sure the pedal itself can be modded too, but i'd need to take a look at the schematic to say where the cuts and connections need to be made...

yes, i take custom orders from time to time. if you're interested in something in particular, shoot me a PM so i can send you my email address, i don't like the private messages feature in IGT with its ridiculous character limit and all.

3. shailm

shailm New Member

"shailm's gear is super-badass. the only thing missing is the sunn 100W model-T head and the two orange 4x12 cabs to go with it."
    thank you thank you. but i do think a bit of it needs to go -sunface, fuzz factory, keeley sd1, boss rv3, space echo, actually even the tele (hate the damn 12" radius), but i seem to have a gear hoarding problem(seriously, i went to the states with the tele to sell it, but couldnt let it go for "sentimental" reasons!).
    question to varun/flood, would you really need a true bypass mod considering theres already quite a few buffered boxes in the chain? makes more sense to get a true bypass looper for the whole chain

4. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

maybe. but once the signal hits the first buffer it doesnt matter as such since it's been converted to low impedance. post that, if i keep stacking buffers it'll just add noise.

wah(buffered)>OD/Boost(buffered)>true bypass looper>loop A: Sansamp California(buffered)>loop B: Sansamp Blonde(buffered)>Phaser(true bypass)>delay(true or buffered)>power amp

you see? i need that true bypass od in the middle and i'll be fine. these are gonna be my prime pedals and not for flavor. so even if i put them all on a true bypass looper they'll feed buffered signals when they're activated together. :(

5. flood

flood New Member

dunno about how much noise it'll add, but buffers in the real world don't quite hit unity gain. more like 0.9-0.95. stack 'em up and the effect is multiplied - so you could actually havve signal drop issues and don't quite know it yet.

i'm struggling to keep myself from buying any more gear this year as i may be heading stateside for a while.