Pedal/Stompboxes Guide !

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Alfons, Sep 11, 2005.

1. distorted

distorted satan

Lucky you, i wish i cud go, but got my xams ahead...
    Newys, i got mine frm Musee musicals...

2. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

people recommending analog pedals to beginners is rather foolish...Analog pedals have heavy dependency on the type of amp you are using.If you buy something like the ds-1 or the metal zone n plug it into your stranger amp , you would be severely disappointed. A good amp is the basis for quality sound.Think about this effects chain

guitar > metal zone > stranger amp

Even if you throw in an eq pedal in that chain, you will still struggle to find a good sound..For beginners,digital modelling is their best choice.And if your buying ,dont buy anything from digitech n zoom .Their budget one are fun to play with but they will give you a highly digitized tone which is worse than death.On the other hand ,somethin like a boss me-20 will get a decent sound...

3. distorted

distorted satan

Who recommended it fr beginners??
    Newys u got a point...

4. unet

unet New Member

???
    This is a review thread, not a recommendations thread.
    It's for people who want to build up their pedalboard simply because they want to or maybe need to (for live situations).
    I've not played an ME 20 but you're right about the RP 50 - 250, it sounds highly digitized.
    And so does the Zoom G2/1.

A good amp is ESSENTIAL for a good sound, and here, the people who will buy pedals:
    1. Already have a better-than-practice amp, and want to supplement their sound.
    2. Or want to have variety playing live.
    3. Or both.

Even a beginner has use for a distortion pedal.
    While practicing, he/she can switch quickly between clean and heavy passages etc.
    There's no harm if a beginner buying a nice pedal. Obviously it won't shine thru a crappy amp, but eventually when they upgrade, it would be worth it.
    In that aspect, processors are a waste. Eventually you'll want quality.

/rant.

5. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

If you look back a few posts, you would notice a person asking for a distortion pedal and you n the other poster recommending some pedals.Even if you are a great guitarist, effects ,amps ,signal chain ,routing etc.. take time to understand.Blatantly recommending pedals is stupid .

n the whole beginner wanting a distortion pedal is also far fetched.When you are a beginner,your main concern must be your ability to play the guitar...Stuff like technique n positioning .Sure you would want a distorted sound in the near future,but that can be obtained using a decent multi-fx pedal or even amp distortion ( i am stressing beginner here).If you recommend a distortion pedal like a metal zone,the person will buy something for 5k n will be pissed of for not getting a tone which is remotely usable because of his shitty amp n guitar (ppl saying a stock rg350 sounds good dont have a say in this).If he gets something like a me-20 which is like 10k ,he has the ability to hear what distortion sounds like with delay n other effects.He will have a better understanding of what each effect actually does and he will eventually learn to use im properly.Then,after he figures out exactly what he wants,he should dump the multi fx n get a pedal board..Its that simple..

6. distorted

distorted satan

^U r absolutely correct brother... Dats wt evrybdy does n dats wat i did...
    but wt do u suggest when sumbdy says he has come over rp80 n is luking fr sumthing more powerful... N..n... He is luking fwd to form a band....

7. unet

unet New Member

1. He wants a decent distortion for (i'm assuming) quick switching to distortion in a live setting.
    2. He has a pretty decent practice amp, you cant expect everyone to have Diezels or Bogners.
    3. He had a multi effects pedal (and a Cube 60 which has a buttload of effects too), so he knows what effects sound like together, even if they were not-so-great quality.
    4. I also factored in the music he wants to play and then only did i recommend a pedal.

You have a valid point, but you can't just assume he's a beginner.

8. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

Like i said..The rp series is pure junk right upto the rp1000...If you are buying digitech,only buy the Gnx series..But they seem to be severely overpriced..

If a person wants to get a decent tone(again..this is a personal factor) at a nominal price, he can look into something like the pocket pod.It is a decent sounding unit and is very very handy.It really cant be used live,but its great for home recording and practice sessions.If you want something for live use,as i said,definitely consider the boss me-20 n me-50.I stress on these boss units because they not only get you a decent tone with any amp,but they are very user friendly.This is again an important factor for a beginner.You dont want to buy something like the boss gt-8 or pod xt live n spend the most part of your life setting up the thing rather than plugging your guitar and playing.

And to the above poster, when he said cube 60, i assumed it is a stranger cube 60 and i am pretty sure it is.And by decent amp, i meant something like a valveking .Also ,only a beginner would ask for a recommendation for something as vague as a distortion pedal for covering a few bands.Like i said,He could be a great guitar player and he can do 7 string sweeps,but he could still be new to effects and the entire "tone" aspect of his playing.There is a lotta equipment out there and understanding how they work together will definitely take time.I have also noticed the fact that, many people try to replicate the rig their favorite guitar player has thinking that they would be able to get the same tone.Well,even if you are able to do it down to the cables ,you will still not get the same tone.This brings us to the "player" aspect for tone.But then again,that a totally different issue.,

9. unet

unet New Member

10. flood

flood New Member

what happened to this thread?

i'd post my pedals here, but i don't think i want to fill up the next ten pages with reviews.

@unet: guess who has a PCB for that :p

11. theghost

theghost New Member

What pedals do u have?

12. flood

flood New Member

you just opened pandora's box. here goes:

-------

effects (purchased

nobels ODR-1 (original green issue)
    boss metal zone MT-2 (waiting for keeley mods)
    zoom trimetal TM-3
    electro harmonix small stone (1970s, true bypass mod)
    boss CE-3 chorus (modded to CE-2/CE-2B specs, more to come possibly)
    zoom 508 delay modeller (dead, needs repairs)
    ibanez tube screamer TS10
    danelectro DJ-14 EQ
    korg kaoss pad mini
    biyang analog delay (modded)
    no-name russian chorus
    lel! digital modulating delay
    1970s hillwood fullrotor rotating speaker simulator
    some weird indian analog delay bought for keyboard torture
    digitech WH-4 whammy
    korg DT-10 tuner is on its way...

effects (self-made):

red llama overdrive
    tone bender MKII germanium fuzz
    zvex fuzz factory
    zvex woolly mammoth
    mxr blue box
    infinite cruelty machine (feedback loop w. photo eye)
    mxr envelope filter
    lovetone big cheese fuzz workalike (half-housed)

...and there's still a bunch of stuff waiting to be finished, tested, housed up. haven't included any "naked" or unhoused circuits here.

13. theghost

theghost New Member

Wow did u import all that stuff? like to hear few samples :)