Pedal And Processor???

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ajitmat_24, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ajitmat_24

ajitmat_24 New Member

Can u give me basic differences between pedal and processor other than the latter is digtal? I am in big confusion. Pls help.

2. loyal

loyal New Member

A pedal is mainly Analog, except delay ( not the vintage delay pedals ). A pedal colours the sound by introducing harmonics of the note played, boosting/attenuating a particular frequency band, or boosting the signal strength etc. This is acheived by a circuit which uses a combination of passive components like Resistors, inductors, capacitors and Active components like tubes, transistors ( BJT, FET etc ).

for eg:

Wah pedal : Bandpass filter.
    overdrive : soft clipping.
    Distortion : hard Clipping.

Drive effects can be introduced by driving a BJT transistor to operate at different regions from active to saturation.

Note: its a different game with FET's & IGBTS.

Processor:
    ---------
    -------------|<------- Digital Domain -------->|---------
    SIgnal ---> ADC ------Signal Processing--------DAC--->o/p

The effects are introduced in the digital domain, ie the input signal is shaped to the required effect by modifying the input signals amplitude frequency spectrum to that of the modelled effect.

Some Differences:
    -----------------

1) One can store a particular tone settings that was dialed in a processor as a patch in a bank and use it at a later stage by loading this patch. In case of a pedal u have no such option, u need to rotate the knobs to the same position as u had set earlier.
    2) A pedal is true colouring of sound while a processor simulates/models it.
    3) A Single pedal will not suffice ur needs, one needs to add on pedals for each effect type ( ie a pedal board can be customised to ones need ). Processor is a collection of effects where individual effects can be tweaked and selected.

I am no Pedal guru, The info posted is based on the stuff that i learnt/experimented over the years. Pedal /Processor Guru's kindly correct if i am wrong.

3. ajitmat_24

ajitmat_24 New Member

Thanx Buddy.
    U told that a single pedal will not suffice my needs. That means a single processor can produce all effects produced by pedals like wah-wah, reverb delay

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

ya.. but the wah wah on processors suck..

5. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

And even the cry too...especially on zooms.:annoyed:

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

+1 to that....wahs on processors really suck...other than the KORG wah tho....seriously sonds good!

7. ajitmat_24

ajitmat_24 New Member

Guys can you make me clear what's wah. Can u tell me any song in which guitarist use wah wah effect.

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

kirk hammet.....metallica....most solos

9. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

10. zicky5608

zicky5608 Power Shortage

listen to the enter sandman solo by kirk hammett..metallica

:D

11. ajitmat_24

ajitmat_24 New Member

12. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

In which Korg did you find the Wah good....I have played it AX1G, AX10G, AX100G, AX1500G and AX3000G. They are seriously suck....

13. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i've got my hands on a digitechRP80.......the wahs ok for playing small time...but its nothing compared to a dunlop crybaby i tried earlier...