Paul Reed Smith guitar + Soapbar pickups

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by guitardoctor, Dec 11, 2010.

1. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Hi

Went gear hunting today. At one junction, the guy suggested I give a Paul Reed Smith guitar Soapbar SE a try.

It had 2 "soapbar" pickups, which, after reading online a bit, are P-90s. The guitar was very nice, very nice sharpness on the treble pickup... Very clear sounding too...

This is the guitar: https://www.prsguitars.com/sesoapbar/index.php

Specs: https://www.prsguitars.com/sesoapbar/specs.php

Anyone played it? Would recommend? Any known issues I should be aware of?

Previously, at another store a guy had offered me a HSS PRS for 40k which was utter shit... I was hence apprehensive about this one but was pleasantly surprised.

BTW I noticed that mains hum can really kick the crap out of single coil pickups... I need to check my power lines at home before buying single coil based guitars, that's for sure...

I also played a bunch of other guitars, liked some of them too... Right now I'm considering this one against a couple of others... Some knowledge please.

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

What setup did you try it on? o.o
    DETAILS!!!

3. flood

flood New Member

that guitar is actually pretty neat. played it here, enjoyed it a lot. price in delhi?

4. guitardoctor

26k. In Mumbai?

5. guitardoctor

@Ultrabot: Played it (and many others) on a Vox Valveronix modeling amp. Didn't mess around much, mostly stuck to cleans...

6. flood

flood New Member

a lot more IIRC. 32 or thereabouts. not sure anymore though. seems ok. given the dearth of people who'Ve played it, i'd search the net for reviews.

EDIT: poked around a bit to satisfy my own curiosity; this guitar has excellent reviews and like i said, i liked it a LOT myself. perhaps a worthwhile upgrade later would be tuners, maybe the pickups somewhere down the road (there are some awesome aftermarket P90s from between $30 to $100 for premium stuff, e.g. fralin split coil P90s).

i'm a huge fan of the P90 sound myself; it's somewhere perfectly balanced between the clarity of a single coil and the balls of a humbucker. i think you may have found your match. do get yourself a better amp somewhere down the line though.

7. guitardoctor

Actually the price distribution is weird. All the "Soapbar" models are discontinued lines, and based on the Furtados pricelist ( https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=46103 ):

PRS, Electric Guitar, SE Singlecut Soapbar /Tobacco Sunburst 26,100.00
    PRS, Electric Guitar, SE Singlecut Soapbar /Vintage Cherry 26,100.00

PRS, Electric Guitar, SE Soapbar II Maple /Blue Matte Blackburst 34,850.00
    PRS, Electric Guitar, SE Soapbar II Maple, /TriColour Sunburst 34,850.00
    PRS, Electric Guitar, SE Soapbar II, Stoptail /Tobacco Sunburst 32,725.00
    PRS, Electric Guitar, SE Soapbar II, Stoptail /Vintage Cherry 21,020.00

Based on the price offered to me, I guess what I got was a Soapbar I (Or, what is a "Singlecut Soapbar" in their pricelist) since the Soapbar II is double cutaway. Was the one you played single or double cutaway?

8. flood

flood New Member

i was pretty sure i played a tobacco burst single cutaway. the price i remember doesn't make sense in that case though. been 18 months +

i don't like the looks of the double cutaway that much, but the reviews for it are great too.