parikrama school of music

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by chirag11kapoor, Aug 13, 2005.

1. chirag11kapoor

chirag11kapoor New Member

I am going to join the Parikrama School of music. its in hauz khas village. Sonam Sherpa of Parikrama runs it . I hope its cool . neone knows. it charges 250 rs per class and its a group class of 3-4 students.

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Ain't 250 a class a bit too much??? Maybe it'll be good, since Sonam is running it. But it just seems a lot to me.

3. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

Where is this hauz khas village??

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

250 is not bad.tejas..u dont know how much some of the guys out here in mumbai charge.
    or rather abroad its more expensive.

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

here ppl cahrge nething between 150-1000 rupees a turn.. i ahd a good teacher who used to charge me 150 a turn - if icall himtody - id never apy him - hes more of a friend now! :)

6. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

i think its a good decision , sonam is a very good musician and he will surely teach well !!!

i ve attended many of their shows , well that was about 7/8 yrs back - they were rockin and awesome performers !!!

good luck dude !! if you happen to start , do let us know and share your experience with us...

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think he's overcharging.

But I suppose Calcutta has always been rather cheap. I go to (arguably) one of the best guitarists and teachers in India and he charges me 400 rupees a month.

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ do u learn from amit datta?

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

yes. your opinion of him?

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

i havent heard a lot of his stuff..to form an opinion.
    but i read one of his interviews..and he seemed to be a knowledgeble guy...
    few of my friends from calcutta have a very high opinion of him..

11. tejas

tejas ..........

Yeah, I get charged 600 bucks a month. 250 a class seems a lot to me, but I guess thats how it is over there.

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Get hold of some of his stuff if you can...though it's damn near impossible to find his older stuff from "Shiva". He's changed a bit since then though.

For me, respecting him comes from within and it's not just because of the "guru" aura or because he's a great guitarist.

13. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ dude can u e-mail me some of his stuff??
    if yes i will pm u my gmail address.

14. chirag11kapoor

chirag11kapoor New Member

Finally I have joined. Classes will start later in a week

15. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ok ... post the feedbacks ...

16. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

Man,... 400 bucks to learn from a well known guy?????? Thats awesome, in Pune, these teachers charge nuthin less than 600/-.

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

waht?? 600 bucks,...do they cut of their fingers and give em o u??

wisai. ..i dgot to Sonam for 400 bucks..the dude is a good guit, more bluesy kinda player..great choice.
    Do keep us posted on how the classes are going.

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It's not just because he's well-known.....He could easily have charged double and still have had more students than he could teach....but he's not really teaching for the money. He's doing it more to "spread the music"....of course, everyone needs the money but he's doing it for more than just that.

For the ill-informed Calcuttan, he's playing at Sourav's every wednesday for some time so you can go and have a looksie.

19. bafan13

bafan13 New Member

Plz tell me the address

Hi there

I read ur thread about joining parikrama school of music. I m very much intersted in joining it. Plz tell me how ur experiance has been so far there and i'd really appreciate it if u send me the address also.

Thanx & Regards
    Deepak

20. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^^^even i go to parikrama.......really cool place........but sonam dusnt teach everyone.......he teaches sumtimes and is mostly around to organise the examinations wich they hold in nov-dec....they r affilliated to trinity college......the music one.......the teachers mostly consist of guitarists from other bands....like Jonah from IIIrd Soveriegn and Narsil