Output Transformer For Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    A 50W or a 100W Tube head is in my pipeline of projects. Everything else except the output transformer is available here in Bangalore. A 50W or a 100W output transformer itself costs about $200. So I am thinking if I can get it second hand as I heard the used ones from discarded amps come at a real steal. Anybody coming from US / UK / Elsewhere who can get me a working output transformer at a cheap price. Help please.

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey I have heard there is this transformer shop on SP road who can make it to order(I guess you MUST be knowing of them)..cant these guys make an output transformer?

3. ronnieanand

I am not getting the exact specs for the output transformer. These guys in SP Road can do the winding but I have give them complete details.

4. Coal

Coal New Member

Hey Ronnie,

What kind of tube amp is it?
    I mean the tubes you are going to use in it.

5. ronnieanand

I am planning to use 12AX7 tubes at the pre amp stage and EL84 or 6L6 at the power amp stage.

6. axeman1986

axeman1986 New Member

Have spare tubes if you want.
    three 12ax7s, one 12at7, two 6L6GC
    mixed JJ and Sovtek. matched of course.

7. ronnieanand

Are they new ones or you have cannibalized from other amps. What's the cost. By the way, can you get me an output transformer from Mumbai.

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Ron ... if u get a hand on those output transormers ... u gotta make one MEsa Boogie for me dude .. please ... :nw:
    :cry1:

9. ronnieanand

A JCM 800 50W Head for me first ;)

10. jekyll

jekyll Banned

anything ...

but i can wait for that Mesa for a few months ... no probs ...
    and if i get to see your JCM800 ... i might start liking that sound ... and ditch MEsa ...

but as an after thought ... NO ... i WANT MESA BOOGIE :cry1:

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

whats a mess a boogie anyway??......is it some sweet...or guitar amp or some biological term or what?:confused:

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

mesa boogie is an amplifier company

for more details : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie

13. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

ordeal

Hi Anand, welcome aboard. I have been trying to build my tube amp for the last 3 months. I have the tubes, the input transformer, choke etc, but I have been trying for the last 2 months now for the output transformer. I have been checking the sunday bazaar, no sign of anything using similar valves.

I have painstakingly managed to gather information on the primary and secondary turns ratio, primary and secondary impedances, and we know the input and output voltages. Since current carried is quite low, the guage is also thin, But even then, I am not able to find out how many turn I need. And the transformer is nowhere below USD 250.

In case someone can tell me how many windings / turns a Hammond 1650F transformer uses in its primary and secondary coil, I'll treat you to unlimited :beer:

14. ronnieanand

Not new on this man. I dropped this project long back because of this and also of some fear in working on such high voltages. After I met you, I thought of trying it out again but not getting it. It's super expensive if I want it new. I know somebody in Bangalore who would make a 30W for 10K Flat.

15. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

u talkin bout bobby????

16. ronnieanand

@Chintan. That's right. It's Bobby. Did you check his amp. It's pretty neat.

17. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Neat amp! Worth the price considering the fact that its super hard to actually make it. What say????

18. ronnieanand

It's not hard to make. It's actually much simpler than a Solid State Amp. A JCM or Mesa Boogie is a much simpler amp than your average 2in1 Amp. The problem is availability of the components and the running around to do the things.

19. jekyll

jekyll Banned

yeah and what about the frequent break downs ...

anyway ronnie u got any leads on the transformer?

20. ronnieanand

No breakdowns. The tube fails occasionally. Normally I heard it lasts for about 2 years.