OPEN STRINGS and TRANSPOSING

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Bandbaaja, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

hope that helps.......... play on.......

2. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

Hey Rey
    I was talking about LEARNING the song in the original key,
    and then when playing it, if the singer wants to transpose to a lower key, you are going to be in a fix if u learnt the song using open string chords. That was the main topic

3. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

ur tip was supposed to be about transposing..everyones confused reading the topic actually.. ;)

4. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

lol .. yeah ...

5. manikjha

manikjha New Member

Bandbaaja, jayswami ................ u GUYS ROCK MAAN!!!!

6. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

hotel califorina

did you all know that hotel cal. was originally wrltten in the key of E minor ..... but was later recorded in the key of B minor. Which is a perfect 5th higher..... thats why there is little dissagrement with players...... most guitarist i 've known played in B min...& E min without a capo including myself even with some of the chords I had problems with finding .....but I experimented on it and can play it today.

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

yes.. also done henley had suggesting playing it in Em and speeding up the tape to Bm.. as he couldnt sing Em.. and joe walsh didint agree to that.. so they ended up using the capo..

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

not all parts need the capo. only the arpeggio. the leads do that. which is why in the live version (not the wussy new acoustic one but the older classic) don felder uses a double necked guitar.. with the 12 string neck capoed at the 7th fret.. and he plays lead on the un-capoed 6 string. joe walsh dont use capo too.
    in the wuss version, both of them played uncapoed parts.. glenn frey might have played the arps.. or it came from pro tools backup track or a backstage support musician played it.

9. nadish

nadish Active Member

Thanx Jay for telling us about capo. I had listen this word in world of guitar many times but have seen this thing 1st time.
    Thanx 1ce again

10. Liquid

Liquid New Member

ok i have a couple of questions about this...

"Not Dm today, my voice is ****ed, lets do it C#m (1/2 ket lower)" hmm...ive never really thought about this...but whats the "theory" behind makin a sharp into a minor...like i dunno how to explain...but u take C# and them make it into a minor...so wont that cancel something out? :S...

"song is in E. if u play regular open E, it doesnt sound the same.
    So u gotta capo the 4th fret and play E in C position."

ok...to me...that means...song was written in scale of E......and bout the capo...well that seems kinda tricky to realize what fret to cappo on....and finally....what do u mean play E in C poisiton?....play the E chord in C position? huh?...that doesnt make any sense...or vice versa...still no sense lol

11. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

it means play a C imaginnig the capo was the open fertted part...

i think were way off the origianl topic-

bandbaaja - ur idea is right - when ur on stage u cant retune a guitar - but actaully i play songs with open strings and can also chnage keys with ease after doing some practise...

now its all a question of how much are u ready to streatch your fingers...

eg. i dont ahve a capo - but istill aply wonderwall in the orignail key - i make a bar out of my first finger and then hold the rest - its bloody hard - but it comes with practice - if you wanted to lower the pitch - then ud move back up a string eg.. open A to 4th fret on E string... hence ur dropping the key by 1 semitine- u have to barre whatever used to be open...

thats the best way to transpose...

12. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

way off is also an understatement
    anyway if people read my first post properly, maybe they would understand.
    deathdr_87 youre right. there are certain songs you can play in the original key with a stretched bar position (every breath you take is a perfect example)

but if you notice youve actually just repeated my point.
    YOU HAVE LEARNT TO PLAY THE SONG WITHOUT USING OPEN STRINGS !!!!!
    How you do it depends on what you're doing. youre referring to chords.

Imagine leads of a song (especially simple hindi songs) where youve learnt using open strings. (Nile Nile Ambar is a perfect example) and then the singer says lets do it in Ebm instead of Dm - Holding a first finger BARR throughout the lead????? no way man!!!
    a much better way is to learn it without using open strings, and simple change positions

13. aPocH

aPocH New Member

Can anyone pls tell me what is meant by CAPO

14. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

dude....try searchin da forums....there are plenty of topis on a capo...

15. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

Tht was loads of Capo.. but wats appreggio.

2 more things. ppl play hotel california from Am too (lol, this song is too gud n i still fall in 2nd category of jay)
    and I wud let no one to sing :p: when i play guitar, so I need not to change anything until i want to (like i change "woh lamhe" to high pitch at Am '5th fret', G '3rd fret' and F ,again at 5th).

else wat, this guitar will take me along... still :rock:

yeah one more thing.. how to catch up fast with leads (else than fingering part)?
    I m jus 8 months old with guitar but need to learn this thing fast.

thnx a lot n hv loads :beer: on weekend.
    cheers
    sach

16. SimonSuhas

SimonSuhas New Member

Hi there, newbie though, its a wonderful information of transposing technique and using capo. Am k with playing guitar but not upto the mark. I wanted to know how do i go about tuning in different ways for different vocals and building up chords coz the ears will be set to that sound of the chord and when it sounds different i tend to go off track and think whats wrong. Can anyone plz help me with this?

17. jayadevan

jayadevan New Member

open string and closed string

I am new to guitar theory. please tell me more about open string and closed string in detail.

18. jayadevan

jayadevan New Member

closed sting

how to play chords in closed string position

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.