ok i am thinking abt the option of linux

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by .:SpY_GaMe:., Jun 7, 2006.

1. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

@spy_game..let me start of my sayin that ..linux is not for everyone ..
    if ur an avid windows fan and have bein usin it for years...no matter wat distro u get ..many thins in linux wil blow u away..actually..its the small things in linux which have a slighty different and longer procedure then in windows...but in the end of the day ...its al familiarity ..if u use windows for years and move to linux..for a few months u il be cursin it ..but then .wen u get used to it and u revert back to windows ..u il be laughin at the difference between then..

LINUX is more stable than Windows..

all the essential software packages come preloaded in the OS wen u install linux unlike windows

Internet is generally more faster or more stable in linux ..

ALL apps available for windows may or maynot be availabe for linux ...but there wil be alternatives ..

and regardin the install..linux uses its own filesystem..(ext3) unlike windows (FAt system) ..so..u cant install on ur existin partitions cuz they are al formated wit FAT filesystem..wen u install..it il ask u which partition to install..and u point to ur D drive .it il automatically format it wit linux's filesystem and create swap and install linux ..but remember ...wen u format..u loose al data in the D drive ..so backup first !!!/

and NO..exe's dont run in most distros outta the box..u can try usin wine or crossover office ..

good distros= suse 10 , fedoro core , madriva 10 ,ubuntu ,redhat 9 etc..
    i wud recommend u go for suse 10 or redhat 9 ..but ubuntu is also gud ..comes wil many things preloaded

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  2. ^ sach...as u said that linux will format the installation drive....ur sure that nothins gonna happen to other drives..i mean ne data loose...

3. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Are nare baba.. LINUX is pretty safe...any linux....

4. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

i guess nope

hey i tried ubuntu on my pc

it detected the hardwares n all ie when i clicked on install then my pc froze n my monitor became blank

it showed that there was a prob thing with the monitor coz it was on 60 hz???

even when i restarted my windoz stopped loading i had to format my pc again to install windozzz

n is that normal that ubuntu set up takes so long to install???like on my friends pc he managed to get to the installation levels but each level is taking abt 30-40 mins ????~~~!!!

5. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

hmmm @ sugata isnt there some other way to get the one u suggested me coz its downloading at 1 or 2 kb per second :(

6. zing

zing Machine Head

7. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

It depends upon the seeds dear. No, their no other ways. Try downloading it with utorrent, this way, you'll get the highest speed achievable :)
    ViSit
    www.utorrent.com

8. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

k..the best thing to do is ..get one of those digit magazines ...they come with DVDs and monthly they give one linux distro in their DVD..the mag costs 120 bux but its well worth it if they give u a good distro. but then..u can always borrow

actually..i tihnk knoppix is best for u ..cuz .it dont install and boots of the CD ..so u can try it out ..and get used to it .and den u can foramt and reinstall ur favourite linux distro...i say ..the best is linspire if u want to retain the windows look and have linux core ..but then..redhat and mandrake and fedoro are also gud ..

nope .dont think so..but remember ..if u are only goin to install linux in your comp and u only format the installation drive ..u cant access ur other partitions !!!!!.....remember the difference in filesystem..SO...its better to multi-boot linux and windows ..if u want only linux in your comp..backup your entire HD ..and full format it and partition it under linux !!..
    and that monitor problem..hmm...cant u change ur refresh rate of your monitor ?...wat is happenin is .ubuntu requires the monitor to be set with refresh rate higher than 60HZ ...and wen tries to increase..your monitor is not able to take it ..so it goes blank !!!!...check your monitor manual to see if u can change refresh rate from outside or try to lower your screen resolution ..i am sure ubuntu will boot .

and speed of install entirely depends on config ..so.as long as it installs to 100% ..dont worry