NTLDR Problem..

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by rizaaj, Oct 11, 2005.

1. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

hey...

i am running Windows XP and P4 1.7 Ghz.. the problem is that when i turn on my computer .. at the booting time it say "NTLDR is missing"... when i simply restart it by pressing restart button on case or "Alt+Ctrl+Delete" then it works fine.. means that when i turn it on from an off state it refuses to boot.. when i restart it works fine... i tried reinstalling windows also.. it does the same...

can somebody tell what the actuall problem is? :annoyed:

2. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

dude did u add any new hard disk recently ? and which are the os u r running , u told WinXp , but is there any other os also, if so which one? If u r running only Xp and have not added any new HDD recently then amy be ur NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files are corrupt . In that case follow this procedure -

Boot 4m ur WinXp bootable cd and once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    -->Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter-->if prompted for administrator password, enter that password-->Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter let say "G". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy g:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy g:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

After copying these 2 files, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

if that doesnt solve ur prob(even after u reinstalling windows) then may be the MBR is faulty. To fix that follow the steps in the prev ex, till entering the password. After u have enetered the admin password and got into the prompt, run the commands fixboot and fixmbr, by typing fixboot and then fixmbr on the prompt. but let me warn u dude , if anything goes wrong u may end up losing ur data in ur primary drive ,so its always good to back up ur data which is in the primary drive.

These r the most common causes and solns, if it doesnt solve ur prob, let me know , there r other causes and solns also... good luck

3. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

umm... ok.. will try and get back to you.. thanks for the detailed solution...

4. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

Hey rizaaj... dude u never told if u solved the prob... and if yes how.....

5. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

ya... the problem is still there.. everytime i turn on.. it says.. NTLDR is Missing... when i reset.. it works fine..

even after reinstall

6. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Is it a pirated version?...lolz...maybe the cracker messed up somewhere..:)...try installing from some other CD image...if that does not work..then it's still not a big prob...it IS booting right?...

7. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

ya offcourse is booting... yea its a pirated version.. but i use the same cd for every customers pc in the shop.. they work fine.. so i am somewhat jealous.. lolz...

8. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

It probably means that it is not accessing MBR in correct sequence....try repartitioning the drive if u don't have data probs...that will force a change in MBR...if u do a fixmbr in rescue mode...chances r it will not alter it...then try....and have u done a bios update off late?...check out power(ACPI) settings in bios if the prob is only when u switch on the PC...