NPD: Blackstar HT Metal and Boss DD-3

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ayu135, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Hello everyone, i am back from from my Thailand trip and bought a new shiny pedal with me, the Blackstar HT Metal. I had also booght a used DD-3 just before i had left.

Now my pedalboard is almost nearing completion and i am really ecstatic. The HT Metal is really great pedal, but to call it a distortion pedal wouldnt be completely right. It is actually the pre-amp section of the HT1 in a pedal form. It has two channels. The green channel has two modes via a button, clean or crunch. The cleans are nice with the ISF taking you both to fendery and vox/marshally cleans. The pedal is very good at higher gain settings and is very organic sounding. I have no need for the red box classic any more because it turns out that this pedal also has a usable record out. It responds to volume changes very well, but it was expected as it is tube powered. Even striking the strings harder produces more grit and this added dynamic feels really great. I know a lot of reviews are due add this one to that list, i am a little busy nowadays preparing for my gig. Overall i am very satisfied with this pedal and the way it works in conjunction with other pedals. Oh and i bought it for 7200 BHT(Rs.12990).

The DD-3 i bought was a steal at Rs 3000 seeing that these go for around 7500-8000 new. It cannot be called mint condition like the crunchbox or the bad monkey, it has some light cosmetic damage that comes with age and use but sonically and internally it works flawlessly. Although i still have the TC Flashback on my mind, but this will suffice in the meanwhile as i need a good power supply soon.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

So now you are ready to do some metchul?

Regarding the organic sounding stuff - you know if you have, say, Boss Metalzone in mind while comparing, of course the Boss will exhibit low dynamics at max gain. In fact even a complete t00b setup is supposed to sound zero dynamic at max distortion (teh br00talz metchul distortion, not the run of the mill rock n roll "distortion"). Distortion = companding of the signal.

I never got how a pedal or an amp can sound real high gain and have endless sustain, but is supposed to produce a wide dynamic range!! Beats the laws of physics!

3. soumyaranjan

soumyaranjan New Member

wow, congrats, even i am planning to acquire a flashback or a dd20 as my digital delay. I already have a mxr carbon copy which is really a warm and lush analog pedal, but i would also like to get my hands on a digital delay too, to get a sigur ros kinda sound. Could you please post a demo of the dd3, i have heard that its more organic sounding than the dd7 ! keep rocking

4. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

The HT pedals are sick really......they sound great......Would love to make one for myself.....Hope i can....

5. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

i cannot promise a demo as i dont have the right recording hardware, i can record it through my vypyr 75, but i am not sure of the results. There are many good demos of the DD-3 out there, it is a fairly popular pedal. Really sorry.

@ alpha1 I dont know, and i never worry about it. I dont care what its made of as long as it sounds goods, i let the techs and R&D teams of the pedal manufacturers worry about it. This pedal does sound way better than other distortion producing stuff i own, i dont know if it is because of the tube or what but i can tell this mch it sounds great. It beats the peavey vypyr by a huge margin, both in cleans and in distorted sounds.