Newbie question

Discussion in 'Bengali Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by RajaChakraborty, Jul 17, 2006.

1. RajaChakraborty

RajaChakraborty New Member

Hi all,
    I have just started to play the guitar. I just wanted to know which is the best way to place your thumb? I mean where shall I put it exactly? At the back of the fret board or around the board?
    Keu boley diley khub shubidhey hoi.

Thanks.

2. sourav_totai

sourav_totai New Member

around the fretboard hoy jay but ideal is to keep the thumb at the back of fretboard..best of luck.

3. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Hold it behind the fretboard .. perpendicular to it .. n Make sure you don't touch yo palm to the fretboard ..

Though people play around the fretboard too .. but I would suggest the former ..

4. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

ANd do not press your thumb too hard or you will not be able to play correctly....
    This question shud hav ben asked in Beginner's forum. Wud som1 move it???

5. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Depends on what type of music you are playing, actually. But as a beginner, you should play with your thumb at the back.

6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

there are two grips, the classical grip and the baseballbat grip.

in the classical grip, the thumb stays behind the fretboard, and it touches the fretboard at around half the height of the back of the neck.

in the baseballbat grip, it is around the fretboard and shows from the top.

the classical grip is usually the recommended one for beginners. so i suggest u stick with it.

7. RajaChakraborty

RajaChakraborty New Member

Thank you all.

8. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Baseball bat grip is ok for playing electrics, but it may cause problems on accoustics.

9. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Actuaaly, beginner hishebe behind the neck grip howa uchit. But it is essential in some styles to play with the baseball grip. However, Raja, don't go for baseball grip now.

10. skywriter

skywriter cHiLdReN oF bODOm

both iz good.....thogh some tellz behind the frate iz better...but i've seen lots of videoz(ex richard gilmour)..playing the other styles....depend upon ur skill man!