Newbie Guitar Project

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by kon_fewst, Jan 17, 2005.

1. kon_fewst

kon_fewst New Member

Hi,

I'm a senior at Hong Kong International School, and i have to do tihis thing called a senior project (basically a project for which i can do anything to pursue my passion)

My friends and i would like to play guitar (we have to newbie guitarists and a singer).

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a song that we could practise for three or so months, and then present it to a panel of judges. Preferrably a song of moderate difficulty, with two guitars.

I would reallllly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Metallica- Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Metallica- One
    Metallica- Fade to Black
    Iron Maiden- Afraid to Shoot Strangers
    Iron Maiden- The Clairvoyant
    Ummm.....it'd be really good if you specified a genre though.

3. kon_fewst

kon_fewst New Member

I was thinking of "tequila sunrise" by the eagles, the chords seem pretty easy, although i am open to suggestions.

Welcome Home is pretty good to, not too hard to play, and sounds pretty pro.

4. d_ist_urb_ed

I recommend Afraid to Shoot Strangers, amazing song with easy riffs and the second solo is comparitively easy too. However a few more suggestions
    Aerosmith- Dream on(i find it a bit tough, or maybe it's just my fingers)
    Guns 'n roses- Patience
    Creed- One last breath
    And that's all.

5. xuken

xuken New Member

ok i'm the other guitarist aside from kon_fewst, i got a question though. I've never done this before and was wondering, wont ANY song sound bad without drum beating in the background? cause we're kinda cornered here, nobody to play the percussions except maybe my sister who can probably play easy stuff, but definately not the drum set i'm sure.

6. tejas

tejas ..........

Ohh, No drums?? Well yeah, drums are essential for all the above mentioned songs. Unless ur playing acoustics, it wont sound great. Play some nice, slow acoustic song. It should be good. I'll think of songs and tell you..

7. shak

shak Harrr!

get a decent keyboard and get drum loops on that.....the guys whom i jam with have a korg triton..it can play some >heavy< drum and baselines....keyboards are next best thing to actual drumkits..

oasis - wonderwall....thats what i played in my college for my friends (first time ever)

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

tequila sunrise is an awesome song..
    how about
    love will keep us alive-eagles.
    not too difficult and sounds good.

9. kon_fewst

kon_fewst New Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks sooooooo much for all your suggestions.
    I am currently listening to all these songs, looking at tabs, and trying to play them.
    Wonderwall is amazing
    Love will keep us alive....also good....dunno if we would really be able to sing that well tho..

10. shak

shak Harrr!

^ Glad you liked it....keep rockin my friend...

11. d_ist_urb_ed

Best of luck dude kon_fewst:) Tell us what happened after the actual gig.

12. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

without drums?? try def leppard's 'two steps behind', amazing song..n without drums. also theres green day's 'time of your life'...n drums on keyboards aren't good enuf. try using some drum machine.. or u can also get some softwares to work out the percussions.. midi wud be the last option i'd choose.

13. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

1 more thing..u ppl can try sumthing like 'guitar pro' or a similar software to learn faster...n get midi backup tracks..u'll get everything.

14. d_ist_urb_ed

^Greenday-time of your life is good, and also Sting- Every breath you take, if that's too sissy for you......umm.......John Mayer- No such thing(like that aint sissy), i couldnt think of anything else that you could play without needing drums. Hope this helps.

15. tejas

tejas ..........

Play some Coldplay songs like "Yellow"(the acoustic version) or "Trouble". But if u want a more mellow number try out, "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". Really good acoustic songs. Will sound great without drums.

16. xuken

xuken New Member

awsome, we might try that keyboard drum thing if we must. we're currently trying to get our third member to learn the drum but he's being annoying about it.

thanks for the great song suggestions, really made our lives that much easier.

17. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

xuken and kon .. u guys can play 'papa kehte hain'

18. d_ist_urb_ed

Pleasure Xuken:) Nemo, papa kehte hain? In singapore?:)

19. kon_fewst

kon_fewst New Member

hahaha, i would love to play that, unfortunately, the panel judging our project wouldn't understand Hindi, as they would all be from our school here in Hong Kong.