new strings, problem

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cumming soon, Aug 31, 2006.

1. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

hi ppl
    i got my strings replaced yesterday and since then i am irritated. i dont have a tuner.normally i tuned with the help of online tuners by the ear. but with new strings i cant get it right. if i tune it accordin to the tuner all the tabs and songs i play sound wrong. but if i tune it myself using tabs as a measure the songs and tabs sound alright.but then when i compare them to the sounds of the tuner they dont match.no one i know plays the guitar so all of u please help

2. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

u mean ure tuner shows it wrong?

AND cumming soon can i have ure msn plz? PM it to me..i can help u out in detail easily then.

3. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

should i get that cable thingy . will it work with online tuners?.i saw one the other day and the shopkeeper said it was for 100odd bucks. is it good enough?

4. Morbid_Angel

i dint get u..what cable are u talkin bout. And if u own an acoustic tune it online by ear..or by microphone in GP5(IF ure microphone is good enuff)

Tell me..which company strings u used and is this the first time u used the company. Bcoz the sound may seam different to u in respect to quality and u must be confused with the pitch.

I Still suggest tuning by ear..if ure ear is trained.

5. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

he showed me the cable that u attach to the tuner and the guitar . he said it ll work with computers too.i dont know bout the company as this was the first time i was buying em, i told him to put the best ones .

6. Morbid_Angel

yea ok that cable is very useful..u can directly tune ure guitar with the tuner and it will show u the perfect note.

BUT does it work with an acoustic?:think:

btw u not on msn now?

7. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

naah i have not installed messanger .its too menacing. yeah the man saw my guitar and there is a point in it where he said i could attach the wire.

8. Morbid_Angel

wow man ive never known that cables work with acoustics.

9. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

must have a pick-up installed
    nd new strings tend to loose tuning very fast

10. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

so undead what should i do . should i go by the tuner or what i think sounds right.

11. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

i havent been practising for the past 2 days. what to do guys

12. vini

vini Repeat Offender

u have to count on the online tuner..and its not necessary that ur tuning correctly even wid d help of that tuner..so u need to practice how to tune up EVEN wid the help of an online tuner, hope u know the basic tuning fundas.
    so make sure ur guitar is tuned exactly according to it, then there wouldnt be any reason y ur guitar would sound bad.
    Secondly as Prit said, new strings tend to get out of tune sooner...so if u go by my advise> after restringing, try to strum fast...bang and thrash on ur strings (not too hard but not too soft either) this way ur strings will flex faster and wouldnt get out of tune again n again..anymore!

i wonder how come ur doing dat, but in my opinion, this approach isnt good. the song ur using neednt be in standard tuning even if it is..u will never ever be able to tune properly...a year back i used to use metallica-NEM's intro to tune..but then it can never tune ur strings properly. however u can use this method to cross-check...the bottom lines is get a good online tuner like this>>
    https://www.8notes.com/guitar_tuner/
    then make sure ur tuning correctly....then rock on! all d best

13. jozko

jozko Banned

I use free AP tuner software. it is good. download and try it. https://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html
    recheck tuning of strings 2-3 times before u play. When u change strings I think it is better to change one by one. Also when u tune one the other goes out of tune. do some bends on all strings when tuner shows them as tuned. check tuning and repeat. do this in 2-3 passes till strings settle.
    They sound alright as the strings are relatively tuned. Tuner software gives standard tuning. AP tuner also support alternative tuning options

14. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

15. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

thanks a lot all of u. and one more thing , should i buy a cable to tune it with the online tuner . i have an acoustic with a pick up installed

16. jozko

jozko Banned

cumming, if u have a mic (the kind used for voice chatting), download and install free tuner software from https://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html
    It will show you the note as u play a string. u can place the mic near the guitar and play to get the guitar tuned. You need not buy cable for just tuning. But cable is good if you want to record guitar through line-input of soundcard. Such recording can mask all external noises.

You have to tune by ears using online tuners (the ones that provide notes of tuned strings). The tuner software i mentioned above picks sound through mic and determines and displays the note and can guide you until it is tuned to high precision. Moreover you can use it to a multitude of other uses like quickly learning notes and octaves on frets which u can't do with online tuners

17. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

i dont have a mic . will the cable do ? or should i buy a mic

18. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

also does ap tuner work with a cable?

19. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

What cable???
    U talkin bout the Output jack?? Yes that shud do better!

20. jozko

jozko Banned

Cable will do if there is cable-out provision in your acoustic as on an electric. Connect cable to line-in of soundcard. But if u want to sing and record, or do voice chat in future, u will need a mic. If i were u, i'd go for a mic. I think if you have hands-free mobilephone mic, you can use it too with appropriate pin adapters although mics designed for computers r best.

YES