1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Hello everybody.....It's me again with something i call New Jazz. It's a pretty jazzy piece with the intro melody being a tapping part and the end also the same with some improv. The leads is not very clear as this was a one take thing so there are mistakes.
    Looking forward to comments and suggestions

Here it is
    https://www.megaupload.com/?d=MYV24HM5

https://www.soundclick.com/sridhar

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Its nice

1. The intro tappings sound very clear. *applause*
    2. The overdriven sound is cool, not too gainy - infact sometimes sound like a sax
    3. The initial part doesnt sound that jazzy
    4. The some of the notes sounded a little off (did u play n create it on the fly? - coz usually that happens when u play spontaneously)
    5. The leads shoulkd have had more volume, it sounds drowned in the rhythm in some parts
    6. Am not well versed with jazz, so let bjr n dharmatma n abhijitnath decide on the musical aspect

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Shridhar. You were up 7am in the morning just to post in IGT. :shock: :shock:
    But for 16 year old, you are pretty damn good and pretty matured in your playing. At your age all I knew was Football.

By the way this sounds more like Hindi film music. I dont know how it sounded Jazzy. Maybe you were playing some 7th or 9th chords and felt that way. My ears are kappoot, so I cannot exactly say what chords you play. In lot place, the Lead is kinda out. You can play some chord tones and arpeggios instead of only scales everywhere. It kinda gets monotonous. You can use intervallic progression and things like that. Anyway you Sound like Allman Brothers band or Phish. You should grow long hair like a hippie, smoke pot and play Blues. Peace out.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Methinx: shaving hair n playing like Joe Satriani would be much easier.

5. sridhar11_2

I was up at 7 in the morning cause it comes under the free surfing hours.
    I know overall it's not jazz but the chords are pretty much in that line. Anway this was the first take so the solo was just random (that's basically what i always do). I did this to be totally away from what i usually play. More funky kind (cause you need variation right). I really have to practise scales and chords cause i have no idea what you just said musically.

6. sridhar11_2

thanks for the comments alpha1.

This was basically off the top of my head. So was'nt really thinking bout playing right. The end leads sound off cause i wanted it to be off , this is the place where the main thing actually is the tapping melody improv.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why dont u try using stupid scales like Gothic octave :p

8. sridhar11_2

all i know is major (plus it's modes obviously and minoe pentatonic). First time i heard of gothic octave

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Your flow isn't really there....it's understandable in a one-shot recording. Happens to the best of people. You're probably at your best in the middle. The only things I complain about are both inter-related. a) Predictably (b) Timing

By timing I do not mean that you're going off.....I'll tell you what my guitar teacher tells me so often. "You're playing on time but you're not really playing in time". It's a difficult thing to explain in words really since it's so abstract. Through most of your solo (with the exception of a part around the 1 min mark) your points of starting and ending licks becomes predictable, you're not really getting the "groove" so to speak. What you really need to work on is smoothness in connecting licks together. The "lead tones" which would sorta be the connectors between to licks are non-existent. Once you work on those, you will sound awesome. You have decent melodies....now work on connecting them together. That's the sort of thing that makes B.B.King what he is (and i don't mean a fat, ugly bastard)

In the end, in my opinion, you're doing too much. You're sort of losing what you started with and are going into a different plane altogether. It would have sounded cool had you then come back to where you started or at least ended somewhere closer to home than you did.

There was a slide that ended on a note it shouldn't have ended on? Did you do that delibrately? If so, I suggest that you just touch it slightly and come back....if you stay on a note like that for too long like you did, it sounds bad. If it wasn't delibrate, ignore this para.

As for the musical aspect, I suck at genres anyway so I wouldn't know where to put it. Jazz can also be an extension of pretty much any genre of music (however, I figure that pop is it's closest relative)

What scales were you focussing on? I figured it would be pentatonic and harmonic minor though it could just as easily be modes.

10. sridhar11_2

I actually dont concentrate mainly at scales. I see the notes that come closest to the context of the song and work around them usin the scale so maybe this is why it seems predictable. I understand what you're talking bout ( i did'nt get that feeling, i gues i was trying too much ). The only other time i felt i got great feeling was with my previous song post on this forum.
    The slide was a mistake.
    Actually the only thing planned out was the tapping part.

11. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Sorry but I couldnt find a groove in this recording . You were just hap-hapzardly hitting the notes in the same scale . Maybe you recorded this in a hurry .

I personally thought your rhythm was awsome but your leads did sound like some Hindi movie song ( the intro made me felt that Govinda was going to jump out of somewhere ) . Coudnt find the jazz in your leads but your rhythm was defianately something like Steely Dan or Weather Report.( yeah it did sound Pro )

I really like your rhythm patch . I pressume you used your Zoom 505 II ?. But your lead patch was a little muddy .

For some reason I really like the ending part , near the 2:45 where the rhythm got a tempo boost.

Overall I do admire your playing . Hell I can just do stupid blues lick's ( but I get a feeling that only I think its blues )

12. sridhar11_2

^^^NEVER call Blues licks stupid. I'll name the song "Govinda's Revenge"( thanks alfons)

13. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

hahahahaha....govinda's revenge...lmao...hahhahahahaha

anyway..after you listen to me play...u'll definately call what i play( i supposedly call it Blues ) STUPID and something made of Ignorance....hahaha