New instrument puzzle

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ultrabot90, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Probably the first non-guitar-related post.

Tell me of an instrument which is in demand in classical ensembles/contemporary bands (like bassists = everyone wants them, but there are too few of them, i.e. big demand, small supply. The reason why bass or drum isn't the answer is ->) AND is portable (portable = playable anywhere, no electricity required, lightweight, small enough to fit a bag, etc).

So far I got (wherever I write 'in demand', it means 'wanted in ensembles')
    -Chromatic harmonica (not too much in demand, but very very portable)
    -Concert flute (a little more in demand than harmonica perhaps, but not *that* portable)
    -Violin (it's got great demand AND supply...so meh. And while it's very much smaller and lighter than a guitar, it's got to be toted in a case, an extra piece of luggage if I happen to need to carry my guitar along with me, which is all the time.)
    -Melodica (portable, not in demand)
    etc. Nothing perfect so far. Suggest pliz?

Thanks.

2. flood

flood New Member

4 d struggling musician MOST IMPORTANT instrument iz d MONETARY INSTRUMENT!

3. flood

flood New Member

heavily in demand in recent times: synth/sampler/electronica but don't even think about doing that without a MIDI keyboard with a control area (assignable knobs, faders, encoders). it's like dry humping, seriously.

in other news: i am guilty of this too - but why don't you simply pick up something you like and just give it a shot without looking for a perfect outcome beforehand? i don't think there's a point in extensive meditation and planning with stuff like this; these things usually work out a lot more differently than envisioned.

-----------

an example of errant thinking from infpblog.com:

INFPs value things ideally in order to get our ideal outcome.

The basic formula of Expected Value of Anything = (Odds of Gain) x (Value of Gain) becomes:

Ideal Expected Value of Anything = (Maximum Odds of Gain) x (Maximum Value of Gain).

In other words:

Perfection = (Being Almost Positive We’ll Get What We Want) x (What We Get Is Everything We Wanted)

-----------

4. ultrabot90

I saw a bass harmonica this morning, but I doubt if ANYONE wants that to do bass in their band XD

Check it out, it can even do stuff like a funk bass, lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUxVCHuHS9c

I'm a classical guy...no electronic for me, not for a long long time. I won't even be tempted, because I simply don't have the gear nor the money to support it, so it's best to focus on what I do have (traditional - one acoustic and one electric - instruments), and what I always wanted to do - perform. :D

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I think the tambourine is definitely underrated. Take your useless discussion to the "Misc Musical Instruments" section.

A ukelele or didgeridoo? Although I think the best choice is a cello. But that's very expensive.

6. ultrabot90

^No one replies in the other forums...apart from t3h no0bs.

I'd love a cello too. Definitely one of my fav instruments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPY7xL1JItQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_QR_FTt3E

I guess it's a futile search as far as such an instrument goes (as thehundredthone aptly said).
    I narrowed down my options to violin and vocal training; I'm least interested in singing of any kind, but I want pitch perfection, and I want to be able to sight-sing so I can compose music where-the-hell-ever I want. And I feel both violin and vocal will build those skills (though vocal seems to do that more directly so than violin).

Hard choice >.<

7. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

What's wrong with a harmonica? Great instrument, innit? Lots of improv fun and practical too... I dunno about the in-demand factor but it seems like a natural movement from guitar to a blues harp, no?

8. ultrabot90

^Nvm that, I decided to learn vocals - to aid composition and become pitch perfect. And I suppose it's the cheapest and most portable instrument too =|

Any idea of a shop which stocks accordions/bayans?