New Guitar For Metal Under 20k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by amithkallupalam, Nov 20, 2011.

1. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

I already have a vypyr 15. Soo.... :D. I wont be needing an amp in like.. let me see.. Forever! Na just kidding. I might buy one when my current vypyr starts to give me problems. And I think the Les Paul 100 is the only guitar in that price range with a mahogany body..

2. Vader

Vader New Member

your amp is set for practice i guess
    forget amp for now
    next would be processor...
    do you have one?
    or are u satisfied with the effects on ur vypyr :p

is mahogany a compulsion?
    will you be adding springs inside and using higher gauge strings for a heavier sound then?

3. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

let me tell you...mahogany is the heaviest wood...used in guitars...so you need to have a strong shoulder and backbone ...

4. amithkallupalam

Its not that i have to have mahogany but mahogany is generally thicker and much more stronger than other woods especially basswood which dents really fast. And i dont know if i'll ever be needing a processor because most processors under 13k price range sucks in distortion. actually all i use on the vypyr is the tube screamer and distortion. And chorus. So i might not be getting a processor because i dont know whether distortion quality will be better than my vypyr. And weight is really okay.. I can manage somehow.

5. amithkallupalam

English please? Lol. Im a total noob when it comes to guitar hardware.

6. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Firstly as rightly pointed out above stay away from AV3..they are the sweetest sounding low end guitars..i personally love those but definitely not for metal..

try out Cort EVL series....They are really good..
    Else go for some guitar with stoptail bridge..Any Ibanez ..i wud prefer the RG or the Pacifica

And search on the net for some really powerful high output pickups which wud have ceramic or Alnico 5 magnet.

I guess deepsal has already mentioned Blackouts..They are really good..Not played on it personally..But have seen lot of videos and have read really good reviews on it. they seem really powerful.

U shud be good within 25max

7. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Its ok if u r getting a good deal on a guitar with Tremelo..U can always BLOCK it with a piece of wood

8. Vader

Vader New Member

this is good advice

9. Vader

Vader New Member

cort x6 x11 evl (no zenox)
    yamaha pacifica112 or RGX (prefer RGX)

10. amithkallupalam

Guys the thing is that when i get a new guitar, I want a really good looking one. I dont like black! Something that looks pretty you know? And i hate black finishes on guitars. Scratches are really noticeable!

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

How bout getting a Guitar Hero?

12. Vader

Vader New Member

so you want advice on colour too? :p

13. Vader

Vader New Member

14. Vader

Vader New Member

15. Vader

Vader New Member

And mahogany is good dude...
    I was just wondering what you have heard about it :p
    has more more sustain than basswood

16. Vader

Vader New Member

if you buy a mahogany you can put more springs inside your guitar to increase the tension and use heavier gauge strings for a heavier sound...
    dont do this on basswood though..
    and dont let just anyone do it... only someone very experienced who'll guide you well
    cause its not meant to be done on any guitar... only guitars that can handle it/need it...

17. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Dont even touch the LP 100 or the LP special Or any lower end epiphone lp even with a ten foot pole. The reason for their cheap price is because they are made out out of chinese crap. The wood listed as mahogany is actually bits and pieces of mahogany that are left behind are used to make the guitar technically making it crap as plywood. The surprising thing though is that the SG's are good though. And as for alder or agathis do not even think of those woods for metal or hard rock.
    i think you are referring to a tremolo system here. The tremolo sytem uses springs to balance the string tension. Why not on basswood? even i didnt get this logic. You can put any gauge strings on a hardtail one though but you'd need a proper set up after changing string gauges.
    And i also posted a link somewhere regarding body woods it had really good info.

18. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

and yeah dont just throw away an awesome sounding guitar just because it is black(no racism intended:goof:) Looks are secondary. What will you do with an awesome looking guitar if it doesnt play well? Well i dont need a 20000 worth showpiece to hang on my wall. The most important is sound and feel.

19. deepsal

deepsal New Member

stay away from x6 and pacifias
    my final advice
    cort kxq1+blackouts ahb1 bridge pup=25k
    or a cort zvl + blackouts ahb1 bridge pup
    zvl doesnt makes sense
    IF YOU HAPPEN TO BUY A ZVL
    DONT
    I REPEAT
    DOBLOCK IT OFF WITH A PIECE OF WOOD,
    it works for stuff like cheap grg's squier strats but zvl contains
    a cheap flyod rose if you block it with wood it will be ****ed
    the only way to safely block a flyod is with a tremelno and it will set you back by 8k min

20. amithkallupalam

Ok thanks for all the help dudes. So it comes down to either the cort kx1q, yamaha rgx121z or a cort evl..