New amp in place of Marshall MG15CD

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sandeep_, Dec 24, 2007.

1. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

I have a Marshall MG15CD..and I am thinking of changing it..The problem is I find the sound too screechy when i up the volume halfway..and it lacks that punch in distortion and the sound doesn't come out very clear.its like very shrilly..I connect it through my Zoom G2.
    I dont need many digital effects in the new amp-may be an OD channel and some reverb could do as G2s reverb is almost non-existent...budget arnd 10k. I play classic rock and metallica/megadeth kind of Metal.

2. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

you should have brought a laney or stranger ..these marshal15cd's of india/china makes are troublesome ..i still have these and face similar problems as you do ..i rather out the sound to the headphones from the processor ..if its a indian make ..dont think twice of selling it to some noob ..

3. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

hmmm..ok..how about Laney HCM 30R ? has following features
    Pretty much what I was looking for..

LANEY HCM30R ELECTRIC GUITAR AMP FEATURES
    Power: 30 Watts RMS.
    Speaker: 10" Custom Designed.
    Channels: 2, Clean and Crunch.
    MAX Button.
    EQ: Bass, Mid, Treble.
    Reverb. YAY!!!!
    CD Input on Phono.
    Footswitch Socket.
    Headphone Socket.
    External Speaker Socket.
    Metal Grill.

https://www.bajaao.com/laney-hcm-30r-guitar-amplifer-with-reverb-p-3894.html

This should be good i guess..?? or any other suggestions?

P.S: Below is the actual description a stranger amp at bajaao:

The Stranger NS-30 is the latest amplifier launched by the company. It features improved circuitry, and for the first time, a professional guitar tone.

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I think the Laney LX35R is a step above the HCM30R right? Life_sans_death had asked a question without getting a definitive answer, about the difference between the 2. I'm looking at getting one of them too.

5. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

How will the combo of : Guitar > Zoom G2 > Behringer studio headphones work out? anyone uses a setup similar to this?
    I usually practice alone...also cant freely use the AMP at home..

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Well you'll sound different than on stage, because the amp and cab are missing from your chain.

7. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

HCM30R...For Rs 6,800, it's PERFECT! @_@ Maybe I'll this after I get money for it, wow.

8. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

Dude you talked about being onstage and i remembered my first appearance on stage in front of a maddening metal crowd..it was one of the worst performances in Indian rock history by any band..lol..but the set up was fantastic..we were to play after MYNDSNARE(arguably the best metal outfit in India) and before Demonic resurrection(uh,well..)..and we bunch of amateurs who were holding borrowed electrics and processors in hands were all set to make a big fool of ourselves! That was the time when i and my fellow band guitarist didnt knew that there is anything other than POWER chords to rock music :)
    By the way..we were called Outcry..well, atleast we made the crowd cry for sure :)

9. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

getting back to the main topic: I dont think i will be performing live anywhere in next couple of years..i will just be practicing, alone.i need to improve on many things..so for that i guess a pair of decent headphones should be good..obviously i will also have my marshall along.

10. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Well, the HCM is no longer available. Get the LX 35R, has a decent reverb, and an usable distortion(noisy though).

11. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

as for the headphones get a phillips one or anything else ..
    you get the huge ones for about 5 to 6 euros if you get it from a wholesale ..