Need Help playing "F" Chord

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by d_novice, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrktool

mrktool New Member

This is a great thread, i started learning from a book yesterday, and can play C and G7 cleanly and switch between the two at a decent speed smoothly but got stuck on F. After reading this thread i could play F cleanly after about 30 mins practice. I can change into it with any speed yet but i reckon i'll get it down in a few days if i practice.

I found the easiest way to play it was to have my other two fingers putting pressure on my index finger whilst putting pressure on theyre own strings two. This helped a lot because my index finger isn't strong enough yet without the help of the other two.

2. shourjya

shourjya New Member

i have problems with F too......similarly.. D ....but i guess the trick is in keep practising...and i guess..(to the person who started the thread) try playng songs wth chords you can play...tht way u dnt get discouraged....!

3. floyd&vodka

floyd&vodka New Member

Still waiting for the response:

Guys ...

Is there more than one way of playing the F chord?

I play it this way:

1,2,3 are order of the fingers ..

On one site I saw:

100011 -> (How the hell can you do that?)

Please help!

Ramesh

4. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

saw someone commenting about short fingers
    i have short fingers, i didn't have problem with the F chord, my playing sucks
    my teacher has shorter fingers, he doesn't has any problem with the F chord, his playing rocks
    God's queer ways i guess

5. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

@floyd&vodka
    that's the actual way to play it really
    actually its more like
    111111 << this is called barre
    barre means u spread the index finger flat (i prefer to do it sideways, maybe because i have short fingers) over all the six strings
    u don't mute them
    u actually press and make sure that they all sound
    may take time

6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Really simple!!! Hold first fret of E and B strings with ur first finger!! THt's it!!

But the easier way to play F Maj is to play the Barr form i.e....

E--1----
    B--1----
    G--2----
    D--3----
    A--3----
    E--1----

To learn chords perfectly, Use Guitar Pro 4 or 5..

If you have it, Open the software, Press "A", the chord chart will come. See how many shapes available for a chord and how they sound. Also see the fingering.. That's how I have learned chords ;)

7. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

nice suggestion

8. seriousvivek

seriousvivek New Member

yaar Meri Baat Sun,mera Saath Bhi Yahi Problem Thi.i Think Yr Main Proble Is That When U Play The F Chord U R Unable To Hold The 1st Fret Of 1st And 2nd String Together And When U Try To Play The Chors The String Gets Muted.isn't That Ur Prob.well Boss If Thats Ur Prob There Is A Very Easy Way To Get Rid Of It.when U Play The F Chord Don't Bend Ur 1st Fingre,i Mean Hold Da 1st And 2nd String With Ur 1st Fingre So That Ur Fingre Is Like This :(HOPE ULL UNDERSTAND)

Attached Files:

9. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

That's some serious effort to explain vivek. BTW I found playing the full-barre easier for F than the half-barre. It will ONLY COME BY PRATICE. Don;t get disheartened.

10. Ayeshaa

Ayeshaa New Member

The F chord wasn't complicating at all, in fact, it was unbelievably trouble-free, if you can't manage such an easy task...you should just give up your hope..you're good for nothing.

11. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Ayeshaa dude or dudi. That's not good. F is difficult to play for normal people. For ones with giant hands its another story.

12. Ayeshaa

Ayeshaa New Member

Hehehe, I can't play it myself either..lol I'm a complete novice! And I need help :(

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ The answer to that lies in what you said earlier:

14. Ayeshaa

Ayeshaa New Member

I was just bluffing..hehehehe! Silly me!

15. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I could say for sure this was no ordinary topic! And a funny fact...that keep-fingers-behind-fret was something I realized the first 5 minutes I held my guitar, not even something someone told me...and F was the first chord I had learnt. Its C# and others like em that cause more panga...
    Different strums, sorry strokes for different folks! rofl.
    -regards,
    ultrabot90

16. kinchit

kinchit New Member

hey can any one tell me how to play chords i got the diagram and all the things related to chord but i hadnt get the step how to play chords
    what i hv to do is not clear yet the main ques. is which strings we have to play and what we hv to do ...??????????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.