need advice on setup...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Dec 9, 2005.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hey..
    tell me comments/ critiques / corrections/ improvements to the following setup...

Guitar :Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro, bridge and neck

Amp: Marshall MG15DFX/ MG30DFX /G215 ( help needede here too!!! )

Processor: still under consideration !??!?!?

and i need serious advice...is it better to go for a marshall foot switch minus a processor
    or to go for a processor

and

among processors
    suggest me a processor with the foll req.
    -USB support, so i can upload my own backing tracks
    -Expression pedal
    -accurate amp modelling...

oh yeah..most imp
    under 15k
    HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Guitar is a good one..

Amp depends on the sound you want.. 30 would be better than 15.. G215 is not good..

Processor under 15K which supports Backing track is not available yet.. The nearest one is GNX3 which supports backing tracks.. Has good Amp Modelling and has an Expression pedal..

You should get this for 18K or so..

Processor would be a better option than an Amp(Which you have in mind) with a footswitch.. Not enough options with sound..

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

if not backing tracks at least usb connectivity so i can upload my own midis:(

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I'm not a great gearhead but till now i never liked the MG series. You could maybe try Laney amps (just check them out i depends on what sound you're looking for)

For the processor the GNX3 would be great. But Zoom has come out with a new processor with a real tube energizer (just like the VOX Tonelab) - if you could get your hands on this i think this would be good too.

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

whts wrong with the MG series :confused: i had trried the MG10cd and loved the distortion on it

6. sridhar11_2

I just dont like the sound. It's actually very good but my taste is different thats all. I'm not saying it's bad it's just not what i'm looking for. If you like the sound go for it after all it's what you think that matters not what i think.

7. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Personally i prefer Laney too.. you cannot upload Midi tracks on any other processor.. Only GNX supports that.. And its good too.. You can record stuff on the processor, use flash card to store it..

USB or Midi/ or both connectivity is to transfer patches and stuff.

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Id suggest to try Roland for amplification...

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

okkkkkkkkkk.................i had tried one of their cubes...dint find em too impressive..what about brand X???

and people i still havent got too many ideas for processors :mad:
    so i gather adding my own midis is kinda out of the question....ok waht abt processors without that
    ...meeting my other requirements...

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@doc..
    dunno bout processor's ..i prefer stompboxes.
    but the Roland Cube 15 rox....totally
    itz distortion is way-way better than the Marshall's

11. sridhar11_2

Here's a list of processors that i think is good ( not by personal experience though just by reviews)

Digitech GNX3 or even GNX4
    Vox Tonelab SE (if i had the money i'd go for this)
    Zoom GFX series
    Zoom G7.1ut or G9.2tt (not good names but very good quality sounds as both have a real tube warming the signal and gain and acting as a tube preamp and natural compression in case of G9.2tt)
    Korg AX3000G
    Boss GT-6 or GT-8 - they're like the industry standard

12. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

cheked am all out...most of them go over my budget.......well except gt6 and ax3000g
    but do these have a drum machine in them.......i wud need that too...

13. sridhar11_2

I doubt that AX3000G has a drum machine but it does have a midi in/out and an effects send/return sockets plus headphone and mono outs and stuff.
    I dont know anything about the GT-6

The Zoom G7 & G9 has a drum machine and usb connectivity plus u get a Cubase recording software with the pedal and i think it also has an input for vocals.

14. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

both of these have built in drum machines.

15. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

hmmm i dnt know abt this amp much...but i heard itz gud... LEEM....wha abt it guyz ?

16. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

if both refers to G7 and G9 they go way over my budget......they cost $500 ka range man....:shock: cant afford it...already spending $830 on guitar

17. sridhar11_2

If you're getting from the U.S then you could get the zoom G7 thing for 300$ at any online store.
    Or you could go for the Boss ME-50 which is also about 300$ or a Digitech GNX-3.
    Else go for AX3000G it's actually pretty good. Just try it and if you're satisfied then go for it.

18. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

i got a Boss ME-33 ...it has a pretty cool FX system...but aint got a drum machine...

19. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

:( what about the Rp series from digitech...anygood?

20. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

i hated the rp series..dude.